Looking for a Package or a split

Bob Wolfe

May 5, 2015, 5:35:42 PM5/5/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Received packaged bees from Kelley on April 25, installed them that day.  After 3 days, all of the bees left the hive, looking like they had swarmed! Leaving some drawn comb with sugar water and pollen.  Hoping someone has plans for splits, or an extra package.

Mary Celley

May 5, 2015, 6:16:32 PM5/5/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
They absconded. Swarming half the bees leave, absconding they all leave.  Plus, a package bee is not going to swarm after a week of installation.  I have nucs for sale.  I am done with package bees for the season.

Bob Wolfe

May 5, 2015, 11:36:47 PM5/5/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Mary,
I'm interested in a nuc, I can take the bees with the frames and leave the nuc box.  How can I contact you to discuss the opportunity? You can reach me at 608-770-0836

jeanne hansen

May 6, 2015, 11:39:02 AM5/6/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I'm so sorry your bees absconded!  It seems to happen to about 1 in 10 people.  I recommend having a queen excluder directly on the bottom board before installing a package.  The workers can go in and out of the hive, but the queen can't leave.  Be sure to remove the queen excluder at the first inspection.

I hope you can locate a package or split.

Thanks!
Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714
608-244-5094

May 6, 2015, 9:40:59 PM5/6/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob, great meeting you today at the Wed. Farmer's Market. I will take care of you with a 5 frame nuc.  Mary

Blaine Hendrickson

May 8, 2015, 8:52:18 PM5/8/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Mary do you still nucs? It appears my bees left as well although I'm not sure they even had a queen, she was not in her cage when I Installed them and other bees were going in and out. Week inspection there is a little drawn comb and about 15 bees. Only a few dead ones so they must have left. I didn't leave the queen excluder on the bottom cause I wasn't sure where the queen was.

Mary Celley

May 8, 2015, 10:55:54 PM5/8/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I do, where did those bees come from?  I wonder if you got the same bee load as Bob?  His had the same symptoms you are describing.  Bees from the south are a really bad idea.  I am at Farmer's Market tomorrow but you can call me in aft. Mary

Paul Zelenski

May 9, 2015, 2:22:49 AM5/9/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious about the comment "bees from the south are a really bad idea". Pretty much all packages are from the South, aren't they?  If you mean southeast as opposed to California, what makes them so bad? I got packages from Florida that are doing great.

Marcus Hagen

May 9, 2015, 5:47:59 AM5/9/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Yea I agree with Paul I got packages from Florida and Texas and all are doing really well. Im not following the packages from the south are bad.

James

May 10, 2015, 12:30:51 AM5/10/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
In agriculture, anytime you bring in outside stock you expose yourself to the risk of outside pathogens. California, Florida, Wisconsin...Cows or bees...it doesn't matter. If you can't run a isolated operation (and in beekeeping that's tough), than you have to put up with the bumps in the night.

Mary Celley

May 10, 2015, 8:04:16 AM5/10/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
The south is loaded with the HIVE BEETLE.   That is what I am referring to.  Once you get the hive beetle it is not a good deal.  They also will fly 7  miles so they will infect surrounding bee yards.  That's the problem.

James

May 10, 2015, 9:50:07 AM5/10/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
California has its own hive beetle problems as well.  But until someone starts a certification program for nucs and packages, you just have to roll the dice.  But considering how the price of bees has escalated, certification will probably be cost prohibitive (if not impossible to implement).  The best solution is localized nuc and queen production.

Paul Zelenski

May 10, 2015, 10:19:06 AM5/10/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Local is definitely better. We are at the time of year that local queen breeders and nuc producers can produce. There may be local options available by the end of the month.

I think it is unlikely for there to be many beetles in a package, right?  I'd be more worried about nucs from the south.

I have heard that there is some contamination of genetics from Africanized bees, but a reputable queen producer should provide good queens. This problem is probably something anyone warm enough to produce our early queens needs to be aware of.

Mary Celley

May 10, 2015, 10:45:08 AM5/10/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
The bees I sell are certified and inspected.  Yes, they can come in packages, even in the queen cage.  Yes, nucs from the south are the worst.  The hive beetle can ruin your operation very quickly especially, if you do not know what the symptoms are.