Empty Super

Julie Servantez

Sep 22, 2016, 2:05:42 PM9/22/16
to madbees
I am new to beekeeping and new to the group! I am without a mentor (long story) so I am jumping right in with a question.
I started my hive in April and have done inspections along the way. I have 2 deeps (brood) and 2 supers. My mentor at the time suggested I put 2 supers on at once as I was going on vacation and he wanted me to be sure I had enough room while I was gone.

When I returned from vacation (early August) no activity in either super. At the end of August, my mentor said take one super off, which I did.
I inspected second week of September and there is a TINY bit of comb built.
I have started feeding sugar syrup (2:1 with honey b healthy) in a top feeder. I am into week 2 of feeding.
I do not have a queen excluder on my hive.

What I am concerned about is
A) an empty super?
B) do I need more room over winter?
C) should I be doing anything in addition to feeding?
D) should I out another super or deep on for winter room.

I am planning on attending the Madbees meeting on October 4.
Thank you in advance to any advice/words of wisdom you have to offer! Julie

Matthew Hennek

Sep 22, 2016, 2:25:41 PM9/22/16
to madbees
It sounds like you had good advice. I'd continue feeding the heck out of that hive and if by mid October they haven't really filled much, pull it off at that time. Then in November or December put 10lbs of dried sugar on top.

Russ Faulkner

Sep 22, 2016, 2:27:31 PM9/22/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
One of my hives hasn't filled a super either, it's bone dry. I'm definitely going to have to feed them over winter.

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 1:25 PM, Matthew Hennek <matthew...@gmail.com> wrote:
It sounds like you had good advice. I'd continue feeding the heck out of that hive and if by mid October they haven't really filled much, pull it off at that time.  Then in November or December put 10lbs of dried sugar on top.

-Russ Faulkner

X 359762

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."
— Thomas Paine

Julie Servantez

Sep 22, 2016, 2:52:09 PM9/22/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
THANK YOU Matthew! Should I put the super I took off back on? Then I would have 2 deeps and 2 supers. Right now I have 2 deeps and 1 super.

Julie

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 1:25 PM, Matthew Hennek <matthew...@gmail.com> wrote:
It sounds like you had good advice. I'd continue feeding the heck out of that hive and if by mid October they haven't really filled much, pull it off at that time.  Then in November or December put 10lbs of dried sugar on top.

Julie Servantez

Sep 22, 2016, 2:53:37 PM9/22/16
to madbees
THANK YOU Matthew! Should I put the super I took off back on? Then I would have 2 deeps and 2 supers. Right now I have 2 deeps and 1 super.

jeanne hansen

Sep 22, 2016, 4:00:12 PM9/22/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
The thing is, the honey for over wintering should be in the brood nest, not the honey supers.  Hive populations are shrinking now at the end of the season, leaving room in the brood nest.  By all means, feed like crazy, but not with honey supers in place!!  Didn't you say you have 2 deeps on the hive?  Unless you have an astonishing number of bees in there, 2 should be right for over-wintering.

Thanks!
Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714
608-244-5094

Sep 22, 2016, 4:54:20 PM9/22/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
No, there is no way they will draw and fill both supers at this point. They might draw enough of the one to be useful if we have warm weather and you keep feeding. If they don't, many people overwinter in 2 deeps, so don't be discouraged.
When we talk about the size for overwintering, it is in regards to the size and strength of a hive. It doesn't do anything useful to add empty boxes to a hive.

James

Sep 23, 2016, 1:13:11 AM9/23/16
to madbees
I think what maybe you're concerned about is that they didn't draw out the supers.  For a first year hive, that is not unusual.  Especially if you're starting with undrawn foundation.  A new package on foundation may not give you much more than two brood boxes of drawn combs by fall.  Some will do a lot more, some not.  Packages will often supercede, which will set you back.  And comb drawing is a major drain on resourses.  If you can get to October with two brood boxes, one of which is full of honey, you'll be in good shape.  I'd pull the supers now, and then, if your top brood box is light, feed.  At the next meeting, you'll hear plenty about overwintering strategies.  That'll be the next step.