Free Bees

K.P. Whaley

Dec 23, 2016, 4:17:41 PM12/23/16
to madbees
I'm moving soon, and am relocating to temporary situation befor getting another place. I won't have a way to get my bees to my next location, as I'll be in flux. I do want to bring my hive boxes and frames with all the comb they worked so hard to build this first year.

Wondering if anyone might want to try to take my bees and put them into a hive of your own? Or if you have any other advice for me.

I'd like to resolve by January 5, could make arrangements until end of January. Any takers or other suggestions?

Greg V

Dec 23, 2016, 5:47:42 PM12/23/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I'd like some free bees.
Not the ideal timing, but hey...
Let me know your # and we can look at it.
Thanks!

Greg V

Dec 23, 2016, 5:53:19 PM12/23/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Well, on the other hand...
One issue immediately is that you can not just shake the bees out of your equipment into some other equipment at this time of the year. December.
I, for example, will not open up my hives at this time even to take in free bees.
Sounds like this is what you want - "I do want to bring my hive boxes and frames with all the comb they worked so hard to build this first year."
Try to keep them as-is until March? No other way?

Michael G. O'Brien

Dec 23, 2016, 6:05:23 PM12/23/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I could work with you to take the bees and anything else you want to get rid of.

Thanks

Looking forward to hearing from you

paulze...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2016, 7:09:26 PM12/23/16
to Michael G. O'Brien, mad...@googlegroups.com

I cant think of any reasonable way to take the bees without the frames this time of year in WI. I think the best you could hope for would be someone who would be willing to trade you drawn comb for your hive of bees. Someone who’s bees have already died this year would probably be open to such a trade if your equipment is in comparable shape. Another option would be to find a place you could leave your bees until spring and come back to get them. I might be able to help you with either if no one else is interested, but will let someone with less hives have first dibs.

Dale Marsden

Dec 23, 2016, 10:32:31 PM12/23/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Your best bet would be to move the bees to another beekeeper's apiary and stack a hive body or two on top with sufficient honey stores.  Then by March they would all bee in that top hive bodies and you could then move out your equipment.
But, I imagine you are moving far enough that it may not be an acceptable prospect. So, on a decent day above freezing you could shake the bees into someone's stocked hive bodies that have been warmed to about 60 degrees.  They should be fine and settle in, clustering as they cooled down.   I would be willing to do this but I am south of Madison.
You should be able to find someone closer to where your bees are, as moving the hive in the cold is difficult.

Dale Marsden
McFarland

Dec 23, 2016, 10:43:49 PM12/23/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Pasting a youtube link of combining bees in winter (non-english).
The guy says he's been doing it for the last 5 years and likes it (bees don't fight; very quick and easy job).
Ideal temperature to do this - about degrees 20-25F per the comments so the bees stay put but yet not freeze too quickly.

Looks like the frames can be moved with bees on them just fine and combined just fine in freezing temps.
Just need to work quickly.
So if someone is willing and able to just trade frames with bees for empty compatible frames, that may work too.
The next few days should be OK for this.

K.P. Whaley

Dec 28, 2016, 5:02:04 PM12/28/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Michael I'm traveling for holiday and back next week. Do you have drawn comb for them to live in or another option for them? To be clear I want to keep my hives and frames just leave you need alone.

Sent from my iPhone
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "madbees" group.