Hive on a TV in Orange County, CA

Daniel Sullivan

Apr 28, 2017, 11:51:35 AM4/28/17
to madbees

A friend out in Orange County, CA just texted me these pics from someone's backyard shelter after removing a cover from an outdoor TV.

Pretty amazing!

harold steinberg

Apr 28, 2017, 12:00:53 PM4/28/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
look at the number of swarm cells (queen cells) and think of how many swarms they could of or did cast off.

Greg V

Apr 28, 2017, 12:09:35 PM4/28/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
And also look at how consistently non-vertical the combs are.
Perfectly normal and natural to build at an angle.
UNLESS, the structure itself is ready to fall sideways!

On Apr 28, 2017, at 10:51 AM, Daniel Sullivan <danie...@gmail.com> wrote:

A friend out in Orange County, CA just texted me these pics from someone's backyard shelter after removing a cover from an outdoor TV.

Pretty amazing!

Joseph Bessetti

Apr 28, 2017, 12:15:33 PM4/28/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com

What I notice is how tightly spaced the combs are.  The spacing in natural-drawn comb is always tighter than the spacing bees are forced to use with standard frames in most hives.

Joe

Apr 28, 2017, 12:22:57 PM4/28/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Well, it is impossible to say what the actual spacing is without a ruler included in the picture (measured in millimeters). Could be anything. But surely, it is as natural as it can be.

Just another day I did measure actual comb spacing in a non-managed dead-out. The numbers were all over in the range of 30 mm to 40 mm. That was a case of some messy, messy colony. The picture colony here, on the other hand, is just that - picture-perfect.

Matt H

Tim Aure

Apr 28, 2017, 8:03:06 PM4/28/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com