Mark Gilberts has 3 lb packages/w queens available mid April

lin...@tds.net

Jan 18, 2017, 4:56:20 PM1/18/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com, Richard King, larry lindokken
Call Mark Gilbert for particulars @.608-482-1988.
Pricing. 1-9 $125.@ 10-99 $110.@ 100 & up $100.00
Pick up at 10635 riverside Rd, Darlington, wi

bbere...@yahoo.com

Jan 20, 2017, 8:51:55 AM1/20/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Not sure where he's located but the note says pick up in Darlington.

William Palmer

Jan 20, 2017, 9:09:00 AM1/20/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Darlington WI.      South-West Wisconsin.

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 7:51 AM, bberegszazi via madbees <mad...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Not sure where he's located but the note says pick up in Darlington.

paulze...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2017, 10:49:24 AM1/20/17
to William Palmer, mad...@googlegroups.com

This is the older of the two gentlemen who presented to us at December’s meeting. This year, I believe he is shaking the packages here in WI from hives that were overwintered in the almonds. I believe he is also getting queens from either/both a place in Florida and Texas.

I got some packages from him a couple years ago that I installed on drawn comb. They build up very fast, but really wanted to swarm. All my hives had very strong swarm impulses that year, so I don’t know that they were particularly swarmy genetics. The descendants from those hives were no more likely to swarm last year than my other hives.

Darlington WI.      South-West Wisconsin.

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 7:51 AM, bberegszazi via madbees <mad...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Not sure where he's located but the note says pick up in Darlington.

Joseph Bessetti

Jan 20, 2017, 1:14:22 PM1/20/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com

"Swarmy genetics" is an odd concept to me.  Bees swarm as their primary mechanism of natural reproduction.  Would "less swarmy" bees be those that have lost some of this natural instinct?  I suppose if a person could breed swarming out of a line of bees altogether there would be great demand for them.  But would that be a good thing?  And what other valuable traits would be lost?

Many of the factors that trigger swarming are well studied, and there are management strategies that can significantly reduce the tendency of a hive to swarm.  There may be some changes you could make in your operation that could reduce this and save you some labor during swarm season.   Of course, if you're happy with what you're doing feel free to ignore.

Joe

Jan 20, 2017, 2:19:01 PM1/20/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
There is definitely a variation amongst bee strains as to how likely they are to swarm or how responsive they are to our traditional swarm prevention management techniques. I believe that bees can (and should?) be bred to lower this swarm tendency along with undesirable traits like aggressiveness.I believe this swarm tendency was one of the factors that German beekeepers selected for when refining their strains of bees, but don't quote me on that. Of course reducing the tendency to swarm might be good for managed bees, but would be detrimental to feral colonies. Also, if the reduction in swarm tendency also reduced the bees ability to supersede when necessary, it might not be worth it. I do think there is a lot of room for selective breeding if we ever truly manage to move away from nationally produced bees and toward locally sustainable populations. But, I also think we have a very poor handle in which traits are linked at this point and what we might get while trying to 'improve' our bees.

While I have a reasonable management style to avoid swarming (I don't think I lost any swarms last year) I'm always open to hearing other techniques. Fighting swarming while keeping your hives strong to produce honey is one of my least favorite parts of beekeeping.

Greg V

Jan 20, 2017, 2:37:50 PM1/20/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
RE: "swarmy genetics".

Think of it, with a package assembled of 1) who knows what "parts" (bees + the queen) and 2)what specific geographic source and 3)what "time of the year" they came from before they landed in WI, these bees are so much messed up in their heads by the time you got them - I would not be surprised of anything they do.
Abnormal situation (which a package is) might as well trigger all kinds of abnormal responses.

lin...@tds.net

Jan 20, 2017, 3:06:19 PM1/20/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
The bees from Mark via Oliverez were a black bee. A carnolian bee.  That bee tended to keep a tight cluster. Unlike Italians which have a loose cluster. So if the beekeeper did not keep ahead of the bees they would swarm sooner than a comparable sized Italian colony.  I suspect that was the case.  The queenbee's coming this year include Italian, Carnolian and a "Florida never die" queen bee.  More particulars are available directly from Mark Gilberts 608-482-1988.  Larry

Jan 20, 2017, 3:25:20 PM1/20/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com

I have been annually disappointed at the lack of mite resistant queens provided in packages.  I speculate that either the breeders don't care for the performance of the resistant lines, or don't have the desire or ability to maintain them as part of their breeding program.

This is the first I've heard of "Florida never die".  I wouldn't be surprised if it is mite resistant as a result of Africanization, then perhaps re-selected for gentleness.  More particulars on these queens could be interesting.

Joe

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 9:49 AM, <paulze...@gmail.com> wrote:
 All my hives had very strong swarm impulses that year, so I don’t know that they were particularly swarmy genetics. The descendants from those hives were no more likely to swarm last year than my other hives.

Greg V

Jan 20, 2017, 3:35:27 PM1/20/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Google does not know of such a thing.
Unless I don't know how to Google.
:0)

harold steinberg

Jan 20, 2017, 3:43:17 PM1/20/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I was searching google and found this, probably has nothing to do with never die but interesting <http://www.indiansummerhoneyfarm.com>

 a  3000 hive operation that migrates each year between Wisconsin and Florida