When to wrap hives?

Meredith Beckman

Oct 13, 2017, 11:23:08 AM10/13/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
When do you wrap your hives for the winter? Is it best to wait til after the first frost?

Is it too early to do it now with the prolonged warmth in the next week?

Meredith

Paul Zelenski

Oct 13, 2017, 3:59:16 PM10/13/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I no longer bore to wrap my hives, but when I did, I waited until much later. I usually wrapped about the time we get snow. Maybe wrapping and feeding together could keep your queen laying and prolong the onset of winter. Or maybe you'd just have them eat through their stores and have higher mite counts ;)

marvin

Oct 14, 2017, 10:27:57 AM10/14/17
to madbees
I do wrap, and it usually occurs in early November.  The date's not hard.  Mostly once consistent cold sets in.  Some years it may not happen until Thanksgiving.  This might be one of those years.  I like to do it on a cold windless day when the bees aren't flying and are less aggressive when you mess around with the openings.

Jo Sommers

Oct 14, 2017, 11:05:50 PM10/14/17
to madbees
I wrap them, but not until the temperatures are always below 55, day and night.  At that time I put in the sugar patties, add the absorbing inner board and then wrap the tar paper around.  It isn't really tight - they can get in and out with no problem.  Just a windbreak.

jeanne hansen

Oct 15, 2017, 8:22:42 AM10/15/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Speaking of absorbing inner boards, I have 7 of them that I would like to sell for $2 each.  They are the genuine, Build-right boards recommeneded by Marla Spivak and the U of Minnesota Bee Lab.

Are people feeding?  I have inner covers with 4 holes, so 4 jars of syrup can be offered to the hive at once.  There are also tall sides, well caulked, to prevent any possible robbing.  Put another way, they are deep supers with an inner cover attached to the bottom to make a feeding box.  I would like to get $10 each.

Please call me at the number below.

Thanks!
Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave