Club winter loss survey

jeanne hansen

May 1, 2015, 11:24:44 AM5/1/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I believe Paul Zelinski is planning to have our May 5 meeting at his apiary, where he will demonstrate splitting a hive, and discuss swarming.

As we go around the circle introducing ourselves, I will be asking how many hives you had last fall and how many lived over winter.  Please take some time to count things up in your mind, so you can participate.

Anyone not planning to be at the meeting, feel free to e-mail me with your counts, so we can get an accurate, local picture.

Thanks!
Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714
608-244-5094

Betsy True

May 1, 2015, 2:52:26 PM5/1/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Jeanne, Danny and I are not planning on coming to Paul’s house.
I made splits this week after we caught a small swarm on our roof. We have 6 original hives, one small swarm and three splits=10. Quite an increase… had to buy more woodware.

John B

May 1, 2015, 4:04:11 PM5/1/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com

Betsy,
You caught a swarm already? I didn't realize swarming started this soon. I'm use to central Wisconsin which might be a few weeks behind the Madison area.
John

bt...@wisc.edu

May 1, 2015, 5:02:04 PM5/1/15
to Mary Celley via madbees
Probably one of our own highly fed hives.

Sent from myMail for iOS

Paul Zelenski

May 1, 2015, 5:04:17 PM5/1/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I guess that's good. I'm a bit worried my hives have been swarming while I've been gone. Hopefully they'll be just ready to split for the meeting.

Rachel monona

May 1, 2015, 7:17:06 PM5/1/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Paul,

Could you give me your address please? I wold love to attend.
thank you
Rachel

Paul Zelenski

May 1, 2015, 7:56:11 PM5/1/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I posted to the Listserv and the webpage, but to be sure everyone gets it:

W3508 Exeter Crossing Rd, Belleville, 53508

Call if you get lost 608-957-6858

jeanne hansen

May 1, 2015, 10:04:19 PM5/1/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the response.

Congratulations on the splits and swarm. You certainly know how to keep bees alive!

But I am still confused.  How many hives did you start with last winter, and how many lived?

Thanks!
Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714
608-244-5094

May 5, 2015, 10:34:18 AM5/5/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
27 out of 46
Dale

May 5, 2015, 10:46:33 AM5/5/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
It is at my house:
W3508 Exeter Crossing Rd, Belleville, WI 53508

At 6:30.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we can demonstrate making some splits. We will also discuss different swarm prevention techniques.

If you get lost, you can call 608-957-6858