mouse guard question

laura tills

Oct 3, 2015, 1:02:16 PM10/3/15
to madbees
I'm heading to the hive today to place a mouse guard.  My question is, do you also use the entrance reducer, and if so, at what size?  Currently the bottom is fully open; should I do a partial reduction now and more next month?  Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks,
Laura

Michael C Holt

Oct 3, 2015, 1:19:52 PM10/3/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I use the 3 inch opening facing up and leave it like that for the winter.

BETSY TRUE

Oct 3, 2015, 1:24:15 PM10/3/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Right now I have only 1 or 2 holes open on the bottom and one bee space above because of the robbing issue, but I'll open them to 5 or 6 on the bottom later. I have screened bottoms, so ventilation isn't an issue. Mice can readily climb up the side of a hive, so you also need to protect all upper entrances from mice.

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 3, 2015, at 12:02 PM, laura tills <hart...@gmail.com> wrote:

laura tills

Oct 3, 2015, 1:30:17 PM10/3/15
to madbees
Thanks!

jeanne hansen

Oct 3, 2015, 6:28:10 PM10/3/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com, dennis.a...@gmail.com
A man has a large bird house sitting on the ground, with combs visible inside it. He says there is LOTS if activity. Aren't wasps nearly gone in this chilly weather? So possibly, it really is honey bees. The size is 2' x 1.5' x 1.5,' again about the right size for honey bees.

Anyone who is interested can pick up the bird house and carry it off along with the bees. Contact

Dennis Steward
2721 Portage Rd
608-333-6564

His e-mail in the address line.

Thanks!
Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714
608-244-5094

jbessetti

Oct 3, 2015, 7:14:13 PM10/3/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
That's on the east side.  I'll give him a call.   Joe

Sent from my U.S. Cellular® Smartphone