Feeding Bees

Bill

Apr 29, 2015, 11:16:42 PM4/29/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
My bees have access to lots of blooming dandelions now.  Do I need to feed them any longer?

jeanne hansen

Apr 30, 2015, 8:31:22 AM4/30/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Bill,

If they were packages, you still need to feed them until the beginning of June.  When you see the black locust trees beginning to bloom, you can stop.  Dandelions are nice, but once they end we have a two-week dearth before the black locust, when your packages still need syrup so they can continue drawing comb.

Thanks!
Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714
608-244-5094

My bees have access to lots of blooming dandelions now.  Do I need to feed them any longer?

H. Adam Steinberg

Apr 30, 2015, 9:36:43 AM4/30/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Plan on feeding them 25-30lbs of sugar if they are in a new box with no drawn out comb.

On Apr 29, 2015, at 10:16 PM, Bill <bpu...@gmail.com> wrote:

My bees have access to lots of blooming dandelions now.  Do I need to feed them any longer?

H. Adam Steinberg
7904 Bowman Rd
Lodi, WI 53555

Marcus Hagen

Apr 30, 2015, 12:49:33 PM4/30/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Just keep feeding until they stop taking it, honestly mine have really not taken much syrup at all, out of 40 some hives I am just getting through a 50lb bag of sugar. Which is way low compared to last year when I was feeding.

Joseph Bessetti

Apr 30, 2015, 2:11:27 PM4/30/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
For all of you that feed heavily now, I have to ask how you plan to keep that syrup from ending up in your honey crop.

However, I already know the answer.  You can't prevent the bees from moving syrup that is in brood chambers up into your supers when you put them on.

For some, this might be a reason to be more selective about feeding practices.

Joe

> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 09:49:33 -0700
> From: marcm...@gmail.com
> To: mad...@googlegroups.com
> Subject: [madbees] Feeding Bees

> Just keep feeding until they stop taking it, honestly mine have really not taken much syrup at all, out of 40 some hives I am just getting through a 50lb bag of sugar. Which is way low compared to last year when I was feeding.

Paul Zelenski

Apr 30, 2015, 2:29:58 PM4/30/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I do not believe the bees move honey as much as some people think. I think everyone who is feeding is also feeding packages, which will not be producing honey for months. Personally I add red food coloring to my feed. That way I can tell if the bees ever move it into the honey supers. I don't feed established hives in the spring, but have never seen any red syrup end up in my supers.

jeanne hansen

Apr 30, 2015, 3:36:31 PM4/30/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I'm not feeding "heavily" but my hives have only brood combs.  I don't put on honey supers until I see black locust in bloom, and by then, the bees will have eaten up the sugar nectar (I trust.)  Inspecting my hives as I do every week, I also feel, with Paul, that the bees utilize the honey that is in their way, rather than move it.

Thanks!
Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714
608-244-5094

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 11:29:53 -0700
To: mad...@googlegroups.com

jeanne hansen

Apr 30, 2015, 4:26:27 PM4/30/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Joe, you are so right.  Thanks for the lucid explanation!

Thanks!
Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714
608-244-5094

Apr 30, 2015, 6:30:32 PM4/30/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I agree with I you Joe if they are filling the brood best with syrup then its tome to stop feeding or else start making splits. I am also kind of skeptical about them moving syrup through the hive I also dye my syrup and have never found green dye in any supers. I also assumed that most people had packages on foundation but you are right there are consequences for heavily feeding.