demonstration for toddlers to four year olds

Luke N.

Oct 5, 2017, 12:40:31 PM10/5/17
to madbees
I will be helping a library that does a story time for toddlers to four year olds.  They are going to do something about bees and I offered to help. Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas of activities or demonstrations that would be appropriate for children of that age?  I have clean comb and wax I could show them and let them touch.  I could also make chapstick for them.  That's all the ideas I have now.

Thanks,

luke

jeanne grist

Oct 5, 2017, 4:44:44 PM10/5/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Fun to share with kids! I did a presentation at Wingra boats this summer for over 75 kids and adults. Kids loved to learn about pollinating and I used a bowl of Cheetos to explain how when you grab  some cheetos the powder stays on their  fingers and you can make a connection with some flowers and bees.  Was easier to show a connection when we had flowers everywhere.  Also rice can be put one strand in each compartment of an egg like the queen....Have fun!

jeanne hansen

Oct 5, 2017, 5:17:37 PM10/5/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Teach them to do some bee dancers!!!

Thanks!
Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714
608-244-5094

Pam Medenwald

Oct 5, 2017, 7:39:22 PM10/5/17
to madbees
I teach 4k and I've had my kiddos taste honey from different locations. We also had them do Crayon rubbings on plastic foundation & use eye droppers to transfer liquid onto the foundation.

sbjoh...@aol.com

Oct 6, 2017, 8:01:49 AM10/6/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com

I once did a "story-time" on the topic of honeybees for somewhat older kids, and my focus was on how the bees communicate and work together, with each individual bee taking a turn doing various jobs.

For the younger ones I'd aim for more "hands-on" stuff.  Maybe bring in some beekeeping equipment, or have the kids pretend to be honeybees at work.

You could also tackle one of my pet peeves:  too many people identify all flying, possibly stinging, insects as "bees".  You could show pictures of the various wasps, hornets, bumblebees, and honeybees, and teach the kids to tell them apart.

Steve

sbjoh...@aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/
Radio is your best entertainment value.

Luke N.

Nov 3, 2017, 3:52:31 PM11/3/17
to sbjohnston via madbees
Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions.  I believe I'm leaning towards focusing on the waggle dance.  It directly ties bees to honey, flowers, the sun and hive and steers clear of the stinging subject.  I think toddlers like to waggle or at least mine does.

I'd also like to take in some cookies.  Does anyone have a recommendation of cookies that have a good honey flavor?

Thanks again,
luke