Fitchburg Beekeeping Ordinance - permit required?

sbjoh...@aol.com

Oct 14, 2017, 1:26:49 PM10/14/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com

I was surprised to read in the local weekly paper that beekeeping in Fitchburg now requires a permit from the city.  I was aware that a rule change were being considered (thanks Aaron for keeping us up-to-date) but I must have missed the permitting requirement.

I wonder if existing hives are "grandfathered"?  The pamphlet and permit application now posted on the city website reads as though it is only for proposed new hives.

y beekeeping activity was given an emailed "don't see a problem, go ahead" response when I inquired about the city requirements back in 2010.

Steve

sbjoh...@aol.com

Greg V

Oct 14, 2017, 1:29:24 PM10/14/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Pretty sure - grandfathered in. Please check though, so to clarify.

Aaron Richardson

Oct 17, 2017, 6:02:47 PM10/17/17
to madbees
Technically you should get a permit for your hive. It won't be a problem though and there is no fee right now. The planning department didn't add a fee (I think by mistake) but could add one with the permit in the future. You won't have any problems and if you do let me know.

Aaron
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to madbees+u...@googlegroups.com.