how long after capture before working a swarm?

Martin W.

Jun 17, 2017, 4:36:10 PM6/17/17
to madbees
A swarm moved into an empty hive body in apiary.  Advice on how long before I go work the colony?

Thanks!

Matt H

Jun 17, 2017, 6:07:39 PM6/17/17
to madbees
At least a week.

I'm assuming though, when you say empty hive body you mean with frames.  If this assumption is incorrect and they are literally in an empty hive body, you should put frames in there ASAP (disturbing them as little as possible).

mar...@chicagobees.com

Jun 17, 2017, 6:45:55 PM6/17/17
to madbees
A frame of brood will also help anchor the swarm.

Joseph Bessetti

Jun 17, 2017, 9:34:08 PM6/17/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com

Most people leave them at least a week to let them settle in in order to avoid them absconding, but unless you need to move them, there's no point in inspecting them for 3 weeks.

If you have a virgin queen, she'll need up to 2 weeks to get mated and start laying.  If your queen starts laying right away, it'll be 3 weeks until new brood starts emerging and the population starts growing.

Bees don't really need "worked" of course.  The "work" is just to make the beekeepers feel like they are needed.

Joe

Jun 18, 2017, 12:27:01 AM6/18/17
to madbees
3 weeks in an empty box? Much/most of that comb they build will go to waste when he has to cut it up to affix it to frames. At least get some frames in there (and I like the idea of getting a frame of brood in there so they are less likely to abscond).

Martin W.

Jun 18, 2017, 8:40:29 AM6/18/17
to madbees
Yes.  A TBH with comb on most/all bars.

Joseph Bessetti

Jun 18, 2017, 9:57:42 AM6/18/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com

Congratulations, you trapped your first swarm!   That is the second step to never buying bees ever again.

Joe

Sent: Sunday, June 18, 2017 7:40 AM
To: madbees
Subject: [madbees] Re: how long after capture before working a swarm?

Matt H

Jun 18, 2017, 12:00:23 PM6/18/17
to madbees
That makes a lot more sense then an empty hive body. Congrats, best of luck.