Plants for Minnesota Bees

Bob Shaw

Apr 26, 2016, 10:56:53 AM4/26/16
to madbees
A friend who lives in Minnesota sent me this link to a PDF  from the University of Minnesota Bee Lab titled "Plants for Minnesota Bees" - https://www.beelab.umn.edu/sites/beelab.umn.edu/files/plants_mn_bees.pdf.  What I like about this list is that it has separate columns for honeybees and native bees.

Bob Shaw
Plants in MN Good For Bees.pdf

Matthew Hennek

Apr 26, 2016, 10:24:48 PM4/26/16
to madbees
Very good list, thanks for posting it.  Personally I've been trying to focus on increasing the amount of late bloomers on my property as I've observed more than enough early and mid season forage, but very little in the August-September dearth.  The golden rod flow was good last year but very poor the year before that so I'm trying to diversify a bit.

Looks like the native bee's will accept anything/everything the honeybee will and more!

Greg V

Apr 27, 2016, 10:19:18 AM4/27/16
to madbees
Wild asters and wild sunflower work great for late summer (if have space for them).
You have a good chance to plant them for this season yet.
Then they will reseed themselves.

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 9:24:48 PM UTC-5, Matthew Hennek wrote:
.........I've been trying to focus on increasing the amount of late bloomers on my property...........

BETSY TRUE

Apr 27, 2016, 10:27:54 AM4/27/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Also autumn sweet clematis.

Sent from Outlook Mobile

Matthew Hennek

Apr 27, 2016, 11:22:17 AM4/27/16
to madbees
Wow Betsy, those are beautiful.  Definitely going to have to plant some.  Do you have a good local source?  Jungs?  Bruce Company?

I've tried planting asters several times, however my soil is a bit too dry and they just won't take.  They are also VERY expensive seeds (~$150-200/lb bulk).

BETSY TRUE

Apr 27, 2016, 11:43:37 AM4/27/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Look in Jung's bare root room first... on Nesbit Road.
Bruce should have some plants soon.
Bees love it.

Sent from Outlook Mobile

BETSY TRUE

Apr 27, 2016, 11:44:05 AM4/27/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Make sure to put it on a trellis.

Sent from Outlook Mobile

Greg V

Apr 27, 2016, 11:53:28 AM4/27/16
to madbees
Google - "wildflower seed mix for butterflies"
Asters are included in most mixes, but check.
Not expensive.
Just spread the seeds and mulch with a 1 inch layer of wood chips after planting.
Mulch will help the dry soil issue. Still water some if feasible.

........I've tried planting asters several times, however my soil is a bit too dry and they just won't take.  They are also VERY expensive seeds (~$150-200/lb bulk).....

Matthew Hennek

Apr 27, 2016, 3:05:10 PM4/27/16
to madbees
Asters are typically <1 wt% in all perennial wildflower mixes I've seen (because they are expensive seeds). Using a mix like this also defeats the purpose of focusing on fall blooming varieties, which is why I prefer to make my own seed mixes. Managing a few square feet of a quarter acre lot is easy and inexpensive...filling up several acres gets quite expensive and laborious.

Greg V

Apr 27, 2016, 3:23:11 PM4/27/16
to madbees
Well, I actually introduced native plants into a big section of an easement right next to me.
Asters are doing very well.
Took 2-3 years but succeeded in the end (several water ways in Fitchburg that are no longer mowed for years - we have native restorations and great insect preserves).

But true - talking several acres is totally different by scale.
Expensive then - agreed (now that I googled on the aster seed topic more closely).

Paul Zelenski

Apr 27, 2016, 3:52:19 PM4/27/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
We had a field of asters, but the grass has taken over.  I should probably till it up and they'd come back.  You could gather aster easily in the fall.

Greg V

Apr 27, 2016, 5:01:02 PM4/27/16
to madbees

Wikipedia rules, as usually. :)

Northern American nectar sources for honey bees:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_American_nectar_sources_for_honey_bees

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 9:56:53 AM UTC-5, Bob Shaw wrote:
 "Plants for Minnesota Bees"

Bob Shaw

Albert Gunther

Apr 28, 2016, 11:45:49 AM4/28/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I just bought one of these autumn clematis at Jung's a couple of days ago. Bare root weren't much less $ than the ones in pots outside (but always worth checking).
Albert C. Gunther, Professor
School of Journalism and Mass Communication
University of Wisconsin-Madison
821 University Ave.
Madison, WI 53706

BETSY TRUE

Apr 28, 2016, 12:04:24 PM4/28/16
to Madbees
They’re in the "bare root room", but they’re not really bare root. I guess you get an early bird discount on those.