Go with the flow

Mike Vidal

Jul 29, 2016, 8:49:13 PM7/29/16
to madbees
Is the flow coming to an end?  I did an inspection on Monday and my bees were super mellow. The flow must have been good I guess. I know my bees come from California but this is ridiculous.  At one point, being the total klutz that I am, I knocked over 1 super that was placed on the top cover on the grass.  The bees didnt seem to mind at all.  Usually that's a sure fire way to get them mad.

If the frames are capped is it time to extract some honey?

Here's the happy bees,

Mike

jeanne hansen

Jul 29, 2016, 9:15:47 PM7/29/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
My bees are also extremely calm, but my scale hive is losing weight instead of gaining (east side of Madison.)  At first I hoped it was moisture being removed from the last bits of nectar.  Now I think I will take the honey off the hives before the bees eat it all up!!

Thanks!
Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714
608-244-5094

Jul 29, 2016, 10:25:13 PM7/29/16
to madbees
I think it's still going strong.  During the recent hot spell they really loaded up on alfalfa/clover nectar.  Since then, its rained, more heat is on the way and a lot of alfalfa fields are still in full flower.  I'm surrounded by dairy farmers who all manage their hay crop differently, so I  almost always have a blooming hay crop as long as there's no drought.  Good soil moisture+heat=honey.  I'm extracting just to keep the stack at a non-hernia height.

Dan Curran

Jul 30, 2016, 4:45:15 PM7/30/16
to madbees
The flow is still on here, probably alfalfa/thistle at this point.

Dan

Philip Parker

Jul 30, 2016, 5:03:02 PM7/30/16
to madbees
My bees (Belmont) were as cranky as I've ever seen them today! Go figure.
philip

Mary Celley

Jul 31, 2016, 7:50:44 AM7/31/16
to madbees
Still have clover and thistle.  Also, spotted Golden Rod in Fitchburg on Friday.  That seems really early to me.  Put out wax cappings and bees were on them in an instant.  I have been extracting for seven weeks.  You should be able to extract as long as cells are capped over.  Mary

Matthew Hennek

Jul 31, 2016, 1:55:55 PM7/31/16
to madbees
Yup, goldenrod has just started here as well. It does seem about a week or two early.
20160731_124356.jpg

Tim Aure

Jul 31, 2016, 6:34:03 PM7/31/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com