Deals on Sugar?

Paul Zelenski

Sep 13, 2017, 10:28:06 AM9/13/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know of a cheap way to buy white granulated sugar in bulk? I have previously just purchased sugar from Costco, but this year I am going to need over a thousand pounds of sugar. I was hoping to find a cheaper source.
I remember the candy sugar that pops up on this listserv, but personally don't want to feed my bees candy; just pure sugar.

Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Paul Z

Greg V

Sep 13, 2017, 10:47:00 AM9/13/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Periodically Copps/PickNSave have dirt cheap deals on sugar (IF you go there, I am a regular there).
Every time some cheap sugar is advertised on this board, I see I can do better at simple Copps clearance.

I got stocked up last year really well and am already set for this season if I ever need any dry sugar for emergencies (hope not).

Greg V

Sep 13, 2017, 10:48:41 AM9/13/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
PS: I am talking about 100 pounds or so of sugar I got on hand; enough for me now but I could have had way more if wanted.

Matt H

Sep 13, 2017, 11:21:32 AM9/13/17
to madbees
I recall that Michigan sugar company sells it cheap from their locations but you'd have to go to Michigan. You could try contacting them about pallet pricing. I suspect that even at 1000lbs it won't be very much savings once freight is included.

http://www.michigansugar.com/products/

Matt H

Sep 13, 2017, 11:58:25 AM9/13/17
to madbees
You could also look for Amish and/or LDS bulk food stores.  Another option is restaurant supply stores (Gordon comes to mind).  I've also hear Aldi often has very good prices on 4lb bags (<$0.50/lb), but you'd have to buy a LOT to get to 1000lbs.

Michael Gourlie

Sep 13, 2017, 12:19:02 PM9/13/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Probably not much different than you are getting at Costco, but this is what I get at Sam's Club:

50 lbs for $23.99 -- See Photo attached

Mike
sugar.jpg

Greg V

Dec 6, 2017, 11:38:16 PM12/6/17
to madbees
Here you go - 99cents/4lb bag.
This is 25cents/lb.
Right now at Pick And Save.
MixNMatch deal - in multiples of 5.
Need to have/apply for the store card.
You have a week to stock up.

Greg V

Dec 12, 2017, 11:53:26 AM12/12/17
to madbees
25c/lb at Bill's in Oregon, WI.
Today is the last day of this sale.
Another chance to stock up.

Matt H

Dec 13, 2017, 10:44:57 AM12/13/17
to madbees
Thanks Greg, picked up 60lbs last night.  I didn't take it all, but they were pretty close to sold out by 6pm.

Greg V

Dec 13, 2017, 12:45:40 PM12/13/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
You are welcome!
Not that I needed more, but I too picked yet another 40lbs... Haha.
Sugar stores forever. Why not.

Paul Zelenski

Dec 13, 2017, 4:56:56 PM12/13/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
So, they don't have the additional 400# I need? ;)

Greg V

Dec 14, 2017, 10:37:27 AM12/14/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Wait for the next deal and might as well grab a load while getting your milk, bread and coffee anyway.
(these 25 cent deals are pretty common if you watch weekly grocery ads).

But the real competitors maybe your local restaurant(s), not fellow beeks..   :-)

"....Evidently some restaurants were buying it up by the pallet. ..."

25 cent sugar in MN this week

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?341662-25-cent-sugar-in-MN-this-week

On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 10:53:26 AM UTC-6, Greg V wrote:
25c/lb at Bill's in Oregon, WI.
Today is the last day of this sale.
Another chance to stock up.

John Thompson

Dec 14, 2017, 11:08:11 AM12/14/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
So what does it usually go for at Sam's or Costco? Never paid attention to bulk sugar prices before

Paul Zelenski

Dec 14, 2017, 11:14:10 AM12/14/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Costco is around $0.40 per pound