Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 00:52:52 -0700
From: madisonsa...@gmail.com
To: mad...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [madbees] Further Questions...

I posted several questions a couple weeks ago, as a first time beekeeper.  I have a TBH that is not even half full of honey. After going through the hive tonight, I find no capped brood, nor any eggs in empty cells.  Could I have a missing queen? They are making honey but the entire hive has really  been at a virtual standstill since about the beginning of August. My vision is not good enough to see the queen, so I am wondering what to do? Being unsure, should I try adding another queen? Is it too late? Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks.

Susan Oshman

chưa đọc,
10:25:14 23 thg 9, 201523/9/15
đến mad...@googlegroups.com

What about providing a protein source? I really can't feed past end of Oct w/ a top bar hive, can i? Thanks for the help. Susan

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "madbees" group.

Joseph Bessetti

chưa đọc,
10:47:51 23 thg 9, 201523/9/15
đến mad...@googlegroups.com
The best protein source is real pollen, which most hives are bringing in plenty of right now.  You may also have some combs with pollen in the hive now.  The focus of fall feeding is usually just adding to stores of capped honey/syrup.  Most people who feed a protein supplement do so in late winter/early spring to support build-up.

Temperature is the major limiting factor on feeding syrup.  They'll usually take feed as long as we have warm weather.  Putting the feeder inside a top bar hive may help extend feeding a bit longer.  If you can keep the feed warm and close to the cluster you can even get them to take it through winter, but that's not typical.  They'll take solid sugar next to the cluster in winter as well, but it might be tricky to make that happen in a top bar hive.

Still, your major challenge right now is getting a queen in there and laying a bunch so that you have a good cluster of young bees heading into winter.  Only the young bees will have extended longevity to get through winter.  Foragers will all die within a month or two.

Joe

Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 09:25:13 -0500
Subject: RE: [madbees] Further Questions...
From: madisonsa...@gmail.com
To: mad...@googlegroups.com

Susan Oshman

chưa đọc,
13:07:06 23 thg 9, 201523/9/15
đến mad...@googlegroups.com

Got it...thanks. Susan

kac...@gmail.com

chưa đọc,
10:20:54 24 thg 9, 201524/9/15
đến mad...@googlegroups.com
I intend to put a sugar fondant block on top of my top bar and leave off the last top bar after the honey so they can get up there if need bee.

Kathy Kruk

Patrick Comfert

chưa đọc,
15:51:28 25 thg 9, 201525/9/15
đến madbees
Hello,  Wondering if you have had any luck spotting a queen in your hive so far?
From the sound of it you may have no bees but no queen and not much honey,, and I have a queen, not many bees, and no honey.
I have brought my hive inside a heated building and am thinking of making an attempt to feed them all winter.   But also wanted to check on the status of your colony and see what was going on.
Thanks
Patrick.

Paul Zelenski

chưa đọc,
16:32:26 25 thg 9, 201525/9/15
đến mad...@googlegroups.com
I did not spot the queen, but each hive had a small patch of eggs so I know they have queens.

I did check hives today at a different location that got the same treatment on the same day. They looked fine, so I think it is less likely the thymol is to blame.

I did give them pollen and syrup today, so we'll see what happens.

--

Susan Oshman

chưa đọc,
19:23:18 25 thg 9, 201525/9/15
đến mad...@googlegroups.com

Some bees, with some honey but no queen and my bees are aged. Queen must have been lost around the beginning of Aug. I also have no brood so my hive is doomed. If you can use them to get a workable hive, you're welcome to them but I do have a TBH. Susan

Patrick Comfert

chưa đọc,
19:40:23 25 thg 9, 201525/9/15
đến madbees
My small work force was going in and out pretty well today and even appeared to be bringing in some pollen.   I'm guessing that even aged bees could help forage for what's left of the fall and perhaps help boost numbers high enough to convince the queen its ok to lay some eggs.  My phone is 712-6398 if you'd like to give a call this weekend.
Thanks,
Patrick.

lin...@tds.net

chưa đọc,