Fwd: [Wisconsin beekeepers] New mite fogger coming to us Wisconsin beekeeper...

lin...@tds.net

Aug 19, 2016, 2:04:16 PM8/19/16
to Richard King, Phillip Raines, Mary Celley, Heather Stietz, Mark Gilberts, Dale Marsden, mad...@googlegroups.com
update This is the first I have heard of this unit.  A local bk commercial who has one says $3,000.00 for unit. Also needs power supply generator or a newer Chev Silverado with 2 120 plug ins. (I only say this because my 2014 truck has two plugs ins) (Now it costs $40,000.00 plus and you get a new truck to run around in)  It has to run a heator that melts the oxalic acid. and small air pressure unit. Does one hive at a time.  Need to wear respirator with canister.  $30 at Farm Fleet.  He has used it for a year.   Says it does not  solve all problems just a tool of many to use against the mites. It is named UM Vaporizer or something similiar.  A unit will be available for viewing etc at Buzz Fest  August 20  located 1414 Vino Lane, Jefferson Wi  11:00 am to 5:00 pm. This information is unverified.  Larry

  John Rogers and Scott Offord posted in Wisconsin beekeepers .       John Rogers August 19 at 8:27am   New mite fogger coming to us Wisconsin beekeeper soon. This will be available at Buzz Fest possibly even to buy has a timer and everything pretty snazzy   Like Comment

   Facebook

John Rogers and Scott Offord posted in Wisconsin beekeepers.

John Rogers
August 19 at 8:27am

New mite fogger coming to us Wisconsin beekeeper soon. This will be available at Buzz Fest possibly even to buy has a timer and everything pretty snazzy

Like
Comment

View on Facebook

Edit Email Settings

Facebook, Inc., Attention: Community Support, Menlo Park, CA 94025

Matthew Hennek

Aug 23, 2016, 12:33:14 PM8/23/16
to madbees, richar...@frontier.com, phi...@raineshoneyfarm.com, bech...@aol.com, bearpa...@hotmail.com, mgah...@gmail.com, marsde...@yahoo.com, lin...@tds.net
To add some more info:

I had a look at these units at Buzz Fest.  It was interesting.

Advantages vs pan style:
-Eliminates the safety concerns that are possible with pan style.  Pan style can theoretically start a fire if bur comb is in contact with pan.  For all the people using pan style vaporizers on Bee-L or beesource, I've only heard of maybe 2 or 3 that have had any safety issues (and I know 1 of these was home built).
-May better distribute the vapor and be less harmful to the bees since it's blown up into the hive instead of diffusion (and bee fanning).   Not confirmed but plausible.
-No hot pan that kills nearby bees during treatment.

Disadvantages or no difference vs pan style:
-It actually takes longer to treat vs pan style.  Pan style is 2 minutes per hive (I pull and cool pan outside the hive).
-You still have to fill the unit with OA after each hive.
-It draws more current from a battery vs pan type.
-4-6x the cost of pan style. If my memory serves me, it was closer to $400-500/unit (don't quote me on this).  There is absolutely no way I would pay $3k for it as there are much better commercial scale options for ~$3k (i.e. VmVaporizer for $3.5k).