September 5 meeting

BETSY TRUE

Aug 9, 2017, 8:51:50 AM8/9/17
to Madbees
The next meeting will be at our yard in the town of Middleton. This is a warning, the mosquitoes are very bad here. I suggest everyone bring some sort of cover-up since we meet outside on the patio and I don’t spray here.

Here is a suggestion:
prices vary by size, but I got the “Large” for ~$15.

Blain’s Farm and Fleet Best price at $10

jeanne hansen

Aug 9, 2017, 10:39:48 AM8/9/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Wow!  Who needs a beesuit anymore??

Has anyone tried these?  Does the net snag and tear the first time you brush against a bush?  Do the mosquitoes bite through the mesh were it touches your arm??

For $10, if might be worth it for only a few wearings!!  Betsy, thanks for the tip!

Thanks!
Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714
608-244-5094

Aug 9, 2017, 11:30:31 AM8/9/17
to madbees
I've seen Tim A. using a veil like these.

BETSY TRUE

Aug 9, 2017, 2:06:15 PM8/9/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Bugs CAN bite and sting where the fabric is tight against the skin so I got one that fits very loosely. It's not snag proof but mine hasn't torn in many wearings in brush.

Sent from my iPad
<Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 7.42.10 AM.png>
<Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 7.42.10 AM.png>

Chip Hankley

Aug 9, 2017, 2:15:21 PM8/9/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I have a bug shirt from http://www.bugshirt.com/. This is a Canadian company that specializes in making lightweight bug protection for severe mosquito areas (e.g. Alaska).

These are more expensive, but they're awesome. I've taken these on backpacking trips and they work great. What I really like is that the fabric is super tight, and bugs can't bight through it. BUT, they are also cool... so you don't end up sweating buckets while wearing them. Also, I find that mine works great for a quick trip to the beeyard.

I'm pretty sure they carry these particular shirts at Rutabaga.

BETSY TRUE

Aug 9, 2017, 2:19:27 PM8/9/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
In any case I would advise potential meeting goers to bring one.

Sent from my iPad
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to madbees+u...@googlegroups.com.

Tim Aure

Aug 10, 2017, 10:28:13 AM8/10/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I also bought a bug shirt for canoe fishing with a friend on the Crawfish River which was very marshy and I figured bad for mosquitoes. They were still hot. I had started out 5 years ago with the cotton bee jacket and on hot days feared a stroke or heart attack as they were uncomfortably hot & sweaty. Last year my family got me one of the newer Vented jackets from Capitol Bees for my birthday and I much prefer it or just the head veil Coleman sells. I hadn't seen the screen jacket before, Jeanne. I would think if you had aggressive bees they would sting through but for my bees this summer which are pretty gentle it would work.
On a cooler day you could put on a bulky flannel shirt or sweatshirt under the mosquito one. I was going the Paul Zilinsky route but a bad face sting pushed me back to some gear.😖🐝😉
Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to madbees+u...@googlegroups.com.