California almond groves

Tim Aure

Jul 25, 2016, 8:11:46 PM7/25/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
While out in the valley in Visalia, California
We passed lots of almond and pistachio orchards. They get 2 plantings of corn. A lot of packages get shipped out here for pollination in our winter. They build up and are shook into 2, 3 & 4lb packages. It was around 100 Degrees😱
I'm a Sconnie! I like our 4 seasons and would take our Winters over their summers. Without water which is metered in town, it would be a desert!
San Francisco was pretty cool though🤔

IMG_3067.JPG

capitalb...@tds.net

Jul 26, 2016, 10:40:49 PM7/26/16
to madbees
At the WI/Mn meeting there was a bee broker who spoke about almond pollination...one of his comments was that the almond producers have had a good run with almonds and almond prices. Some are now diversifying by putting in pistachios to hedge against a possible downturn in almond prices in the future....
Rich

Bonita Kuenzi

Aug 2, 2016, 8:13:53 PM8/2/16
to madbees
Thanks for the picture.  Why do they get plantings of corn?  Just curious.

Boni

Tim Aure

Aug 3, 2016, 1:16:47 AM8/3/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Nothing to do with the bees. It's just that they don't have a winter and can plant and harvest corn twice in one year. Being from Wisconsin, that surprised me🤔

Sent from my iPhone