Honey Bee Removal near Nautigal Restaurant

jeanne hansen

Jun 30, 2016, 1:24:53 PM6/30/16
to Madbees Madbees, g...@mthdesign.com
The attached photo looks like this might really be honeybees!  See the message below for details.  I hope someone can go out and collect the cluster.

Thanks!
Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714
608-244-5094

Jun 30, 2016, 1:57:01 PM6/30/16
to madbees, g...@mthdesign.com, jeanniea...@yahoo.com
Jeanne, they are honey bees.

Greg V

Jun 30, 2016, 5:31:14 PM6/30/16
to madbees, g...@mthdesign.com, jeanniea...@yahoo.com
So, when no one says "got this" on this forum, does this mean no one really went to the site yet?
No one wants the bees?

Bad timing for me.
Else I could have given it a try (or at least take a look at the case).

Randy Deering

Jun 30, 2016, 5:34:27 PM6/30/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking the same thing Greg. I'm leaving work right now, and could give them a call if nobody has yet.

Randy

Greg V

Jun 30, 2016, 5:40:17 PM6/30/16
to madbees
Go for it, I say.
Could be a fairly easy case (not the house wall cut out, for sure).
Sniff, bad timing for me.

Joseph Bessetti

Jun 30, 2016, 6:00:26 PM6/30/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
If you do go check it out, and aren't able to remove the bees yourself, you can always report back what you find, and if it's out of your expertise to address you can request help or pitch it back to the group for someone else to remove.

I'm short on equipment to put more bees in, and I have to finish up a cut-out from last week and pick up two new swarms caught in traps recently.  I also have an active trap-out that I'm tending...  so I'm a bit busy.   However, I have a bee-vac and might be able to assist if you get in over your head.

Joe

From: rdeer...@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 16:34:26 -0500
Subject: Re: [madbees] Re: Honey Bee Removal near Nautigal Restaurant
To: mad...@googlegroups.com

harold steinberg

Jun 30, 2016, 6:08:09 PM6/30/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I can go get them and put them in a nuk.
H. Adam Steinberg
7904 Bowman Rd
Lodi, WI 53555

harold steinberg

Jun 30, 2016, 6:32:43 PM6/30/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Just talked to Gary,

He said he gave the upper deck one quick shot of bug spray near the bees but then had a change of heart and thought he better take a closer look. Once he suspected they were honeybees he contacted the list… so they may be good, may not be good. :P

He described it as… the ground at the bottom, then 8’ up is the first deck, then above that is another deck (two decks, one above the other). The bees seem to be in the column that is between the two decks. The column is fake cement so I may not be able to get them out with a simple deck disassembly. He is going to send me some pictures when he gets a chance.

I will take a bee vac (which also may not work if they are way down in there) and see if I can find me a queen.

Randy Deering

Jun 30, 2016, 6:38:32 PM6/30/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Ok then. I guess I'm out of this one.
Sent from Randy's IPhone

jeanne hansen

Jun 30, 2016, 7:07:59 PM6/30/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com
As of 5:00, no one had called Gary about his bees.

Thanks!
Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714
608-244-5094

Jul 1, 2016, 8:39:10 PM7/1/16
to madbees, g...@mthdesign.com, jeanniea...@yahoo.com
Any updates on these bees?

H. Adam Steinberg

Jul 3, 2016, 9:47:38 AM7/3/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com, g...@mthdesign.com, jeanniea...@yahoo.com
I stopped out friday morning to take a look. Look at the pictures...

You'll see the stone column, that is a plywood box with fake stone around it. On top of the deck is another fake stone identical column.
There is a 1" gap next to the 6x6 that runs up the center of the second story column. The bees are accessing it from right above the ladder, they are in the second story column.

I talked to the homeowner and he agreed that I could drill a 1/4" hole in the mortar of the second story column. I'll attach a nuk box to the underside of the deck and seal around it. First I'll smoke the bees to get them to fill with nectar and honey. Then I'll spray bee be gone in the hole I drilled up above them. Hopefully that will drive them out of their home into the nuk box.

Was thinking of doing it at dusk to get all the foragers.

I used my cell camera and a stubby flashlight to see up into the cavity. It doesn't look like too big of a cluster. Oh, and they are small bees, so probably from a wild source.

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

H. Adam Steinberg

Jul 3, 2016, 10:01:32 AM7/3/16
to mad...@googlegroups.com, g...@mthdesign.com, jeanniea...@yahoo.com
I'm thinking now, attack the Nic box in the evening, seal it after dark, then come back the next morning and spray them, after they are already trying to leave to go forage.

image1.jpegimage2.jpeg
Sent from my iPhone

Greg V

Jul 4, 2016, 10:55:02 PM7/4/16