Re-using a sugar board

Julie Servantez

Apr 22, 2017, 4:55:35 PM4/22/17
to madbees
As be hive failed over the winter, I am now left with an almost unused sugar board. I had embedded winter patties into the sugar. Can I still use that candy to melt down or do I need to try to get the winter patties remains out? They are soft like peanut butter so picking them out "whole" is impossible. Should I avoid as much as possible? Should I mix it all together or should I trash the whole works?

Thanks in advance!

Julie

William Palmer

Apr 22, 2017, 6:32:35 PM4/22/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Separate out the sugar (candy) from the pollen patty. Put the chunks of candy in a blender with water. Pour the solution into a pail. Make this in small batches until all is used.  Add water to make a 2to1 sugar/water feed.

Matt H

Apr 22, 2017, 10:44:34 PM4/22/17
to madbees
A little pollen sub in your syrup won't hurt anything except it can plug feeding holes if you use use feeders. Many pollen subs (like megabee) tout that they can be fed as a liquid with water. I've done what you're asking without ill effect other than it does seem to dirty the jar feeders and doesn't seem to keep as long so feed it fast or refrigerate.