Sun Prairie Bee Radio Show Request

Chris Holman

Sep 27, 2015, 7:52:10 PM9/27/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
From the Facebook page:

Hello, I am a Sun Prairie resident and the Council is considering beekeeping in SP.  I have a radio program called Soil to Supper on our new 103.5 radio station.  Aug 2 I am dedicating the show to bees and I am looking for experts to address the concerns over people with allergies and how to overcome that fear.   (1) alderpersons are hearing opposition from residents who are afraid of all bees, wasps, hornets, and yellowjackets and do not distinguish honey bees from all other varieties of similar insects and (b) some alderpersons are concerned that this will increase stings to people allergic to stings. This is the kind of issue that takes months or years of concerted effort to educate the public to draw down the fear level.

--
Chris Holman, (715) 498-3276
Owner-Operator, Nami Moon Farms

"If you have talent, you will receive some measure of success - but only if you persist." - Isaac Asimov
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned." - Feynman
"Remember, write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him." -Will Rogers

Richard / Stacy Schneider

Sep 27, 2015, 9:02:43 PM9/27/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I'm confused as to which page this was on and the date. Mike Gourlie, George Frank and I met with two of the planning department's staff mid summer to provide them with information/guidance and answer some of their questions as they were starting to investigate various existing ordinances and contemplating drafting one for consideration of the council . George has been taking the lead on this as (and he is an alder person on the city council so is "in-tune" with that group as well.......so maybe this request was fulfilled already or are they still looking?).

Sep 27, 2015, 9:19:34 PM9/27/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
It was sent by Margaret Ruesch at 1:49pm today. It is odd that she said Aug 2, so maybe there was some sort of lag. I just copy them here as they show up. I could copy your message back to her if that is ok with you.

Chris

Margaret Ruesch

Sep 28, 2015, 9:09:16 AM9/28/15
to madbees
Sorry for the confusion.  The date I mentioned is not Aug 2 but Oct 2.  The proposal comes before the council for a vote on October 6.  There are some people who have a great fear of bees and have been talking to the alders.

I have started a radio program called Soil to Supper on our new radio channel 103.5.  I have been asked, and have agreed to talk about bees on the Oct 2 program.  It is a talk, call in program.  I am looking to spotlight people who are experts in bee stings, and how safe are honey bees living in a city.  The show will been at noon to 1:00 pm October 2.  Can you help me find someone willing to talk to the public during that hour.  They do not have to come to Sun Prairie, it can all be done over the phone.

My phone number cell: 608-345-7253
Call in number is : 608-835-0390
Message has been deleted

Susan

Sep 28, 2015, 5:41:15 PM9/28/15
to madbees

On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 4:39:03 PM UTC-5, Susan wrote:
Rich, the beekeeping ordinance had to go through the Plan Committee.  They passed the ordinance 7-2.  Now it is on the agenda for the, Tuesday, October 6, City Council meeting.  Alders have been getting comments from citizens concerned about bee sting allergy, increased bee stings due to increased number of bees, the number of hives (6) and the number of bees in a hive (50,000).  If you know of anyone living in Sun Prairie or if there is anyone here who would like to get a beekeeping ordinance passed in Sun Prairie, it is crucial that they call their alderpersons and let them know they are in favor of this.  Right now, the alders are hearing from people with the concerns listed above but not from people who support the ordinance although there are many out there.

The post above is about a call-in radio show which Margaret Ruesch hosts called "Soil to Supper."  This is a Sun Prairie Media Center radio station.  It is hard to get reception outside city limits, but you can listen to it live on the internet.  It is 103.5fm The Sun, Soil to Supper, and will be live at 12 noon on Friday, October 2.  The call-in number is 608-825-0930.  It would be nice to have beekeepers call in and talk about bees so if anyone has time, please listen to the show and call in.

Do you have questions, Rich?  George's number is 577-6692 or you can call me.

Susan Kreul-Frank
837-6202

Susan