Beekeeper died - had 2 hives - need advice

Claudia Looze

Jul 27, 2017, 11:17:15 AM7/27/17
to madbees
Hello all,
My sister-in-law's brother died unexpectedly over the weekend and he had two hives near Eau Claire, WI. Does anyone know a beekeeper in the area that would like to have them? Or can anyone provide advice as to how I can move them from Eau Claire to the Dodgeville area?  Thank you. -Claudia

Matt H

Jul 27, 2017, 12:19:28 PM7/27/17
to madbees
That's terrible, I'm sorry.  I don't know anyone in Eau Claire.  You can move them in the evening if you have a trailer and a hive lifter (someone here might have one you can borrow).  The advantage of this is the hive stays as one (less time disassembling/assembling, less chance of squishing the queen).  The disadvantage is you definitely need 2 strong individuals and a truck or trailer.

The other option that I prefer is to use plastic nuc boxes.  Essentially you break down the hive into 5 frame nuc boxes and then reassemble when you get to your destination.  The advantage of that is that the hive can be transported in a car or minivan.  If you need to borrow some nuc boxes, PM me.

~Matt

Matt H

Jul 27, 2017, 12:22:46 PM7/27/17
to madbees
You can also try contacting the Chippewa Valley Beekeepers association.  They have some teaching hives and these hives could go to a good cause.

Claudia Looze

Jul 27, 2017, 2:06:41 PM7/27/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Excellent idea! Thank you.

Tom Gomach

Jul 27, 2017, 5:08:24 PM7/27/17
to madbees
My wife and I would be interested in getting them and bringing them back to the Madison area. We have a cabin in that area and we will be headed there next week and could pick them up after her trip. You can reach me at the email and respond back on the board and sorry for your loss.

Tom Gomach

Aug 16, 2017, 2:02:33 PM8/16/17
to madbees
The bee hives have been moved back to the Stoughton area for almost three weeks now and are doing well. Just wanted to give everyone an update.

Claudia Looze

Aug 16, 2017, 3:29:50 PM8/16/17
to mad...@googlegroups.com
So delighted to hear this!!