Honey Yields

jeanne hansen

Nov 17, 2015, 11:50:14 AM11/17/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry I am not as diplomatic a person as some in our group, and I'm VERY sorry I have such a jealous streak. But there is an easy compromise solution here.

Someone, possibly Mike Gourlie, can float a message on madbees stating that they are doing a harvest survey, and request everyone to report their yield to them. Then they can send a chart to each respondent, so they see who harvested how much honey.

Additionally, they can add up all the amounts and report to the club the total pounds of honey added to the economy, and the average harvest per beekeeper or per hive.

Then it isn't bragging on anyone's part. Then I don't have to be jealous.

Thanks!
Jeanne Hansen
824 Jacobson Ave
Madison, WI 53714
608-244-5094

Subject: Re: [madbees] Re: Landmiines - Yikes!
To: mad...@googlegroups.com
Date: Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 10:04 AM

We
discuss this each year and I think we ultimately come to the
same conclusion. There are a few people who don't want
to hear about honey production, but the majority does. If
you are going to tell us your production, please put
something in the title so those who don't want to hear
can avoid it.
On Nov 17,
2015, at 9:14 AM, Diane Packett <dlpa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

 What Michael said! I
also am curious about others' honey production, and I
don't know why it should be any more taboo than
others' overwinter hive survival. On the other hand,
maybe discussions discussions of journal articles should be
kept entirely "academic", since people get so
emotional when they find out others are doing things they
think are harmful. If people can manage that.
 Diane

Mary R Williams

Nov 17, 2015, 11:54:44 AM11/17/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com
Jeanne,

Thanks for the chuckle. One of the things I appreciate about you is your candor. And, I appreciate that you try to find ways to accommodate personal preferences.

Thanks,
Mary Rose

Nov 18, 2015, 11:02:51 AM11/18/15
to madbees
I'm pretty sure it's almost impossible to be jealous of my massive 18  whole pounds I harvested this year!  :-)  Making lots of nucs pretty much annihilates any chance of having a good honey harvest.  On the plus side 5 of 6 of my production hives and 2 of 3 nucs I plan to overwinter are "strain your back heavy", so hopefully they'll make it through winter (or our recent super long fall uber dearth).

I've never quite understood why it's bad to share both the good and the bad or why anything related to money is taboo.  Some folks will brag, some folks will lie, but at the end of the day I think most will be honest and humble and hopefully we can learn from those people.  It's no different in my mind from asking about overwintering success rates: both have fiscal implications and both could be taken the wrong way by someone who wants to be offended by it. If you're someone like Paul or Dan or Dale, you're gonna have a big honey harvest but at the same time a whole lot of time/money invested.  If we shy away from the subject we totally miss learning from these guys how to best build hives up in the spring, how to know when to put on supers, how to know when to take them off, impact of excluders, etc.

There's no reason to be mean, disrespectful or overly judgmental, but at the same time we don't want this to turn into a situation that many college campuses face: fear of "microaggression" and "triggers". http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

Just my 2c

John B

Nov 18, 2015, 1:59:44 PM11/18/15
to mad...@googlegroups.com

The short story... Started the year with a one-deep colony. Going into winter now with about the same (but shaped differently, heavy and with a new queen).
Harvested 15 pounds of honey for me.
No sugar, no pollen substitute, no treatments, no swarming, no robbing.
John Bachman
Stevens Point