Missing Xtra in Shockwave 11

dingo515

Jan 9, 2009, 5:52:04 PM1/9/09
I have read all the even remotely related threads on this issue and nothing has
worked so far. Please help. When I updated from SW 10 to SW 11, something
went wrong and SW no longer works at the site I use it. I'm trying to use SW
at Midway Classic Games, where you can play older games like Joust and Defender
for free using Shockwave. Unfortunately, the SW 11 installation screwed this
up. I get the following error when SW begins to launch: "Director Player Error
- This application requires an xtra (ArcadeEmulator2) that either does not
exist or failed to initialize properly. Please make sure the appropriate xtras
are in the xtras folder(s)."

I've uninstalled and re-installed the full version of SW several times and
always get the same error.

I don't know how to check the xtras folder, or what to look for, or how to fix
it if I find it. Any help?

Shockwave 10 worked perfectly. Can I re-install it?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I miss playing these old
games.

Richard

Jan 13, 2009, 11:15:08 AM1/13/09
It's possible that the Arcade Emulator 2 Xtra has not been updated to work
with shockwave11 (a problem with a lot of old Xtras).

If this is the case you need to completely uninstall Shockwave11 and try to
track down a way to install the old version 10 plugin from scratch (full not
slim).

Then re-visit the site and re-install the Xtra.

Hopefully someone else can direct you to a link for the old plugin, I don't
have one to hand.

Hope that might help.

Richard Smith

"dingo515" <webfor...@macromedia.com> wrote in message

Tsmith357273

Jan 26, 2009, 11:34:46 AM1/26/09
]Hi, i have been trying to figure this out i have a similar problem, maybe you
figured yours out and you can help me or maybe someone else can help. i get
these two error message first i get this one (when my son tries to play a game
online at cartoonnetwork.com

Director player error: this application requires an xtra (flash movie)
that either does not exist or failed to initalize properly. please make sure
the appropriate xtras are in the xtra folder.

then following that this one pops up

the shockwave movie has errors that have caused playback problems, please
contact shockwave, is unable to continue.

its driving me nuts i need help please so if you can help in anyway i would
be so happy and so would my son :) thank you so much. Tracy:smile;

Sean Wilson

Jan 26, 2009, 1:03:47 PM1/26/09
Uninstall SW using Adobe's uninstaller, then download and run the full
installer

tahusan

Jan 27, 2009, 3:34:52 AM1/27/09
Hey Sean, thanks for giving me the same advice last week. It worked for me.
But after a few days it froze up again. I used the Adobe Uninstaller and then
reinstalled again with the Shockwave Player Full Installer for Windows Vista
and now it does not fully install. This is the most frustrating thing. My
firewall is off and I have no idea why it's doing this again. Any other ideas
on what may be the problem? It seems like a lot of folks are having problems
with Shockwave 11.

simpotoms

Jan 27, 2009, 5:25:16 AM1/27/09
I also have this problem and other too.When i want to play a shockwave made
game i get an error,it doesn`t say what kind of error because i have vista and
the windows with close this application and search for a solution on the net
appears and i have to restart my browser.I also tried with internet explorer
but the same deal i keep getting error when i try to play that particular
games.Any solutions anyone?

Sean Wilson

Jan 27, 2009, 1:55:15 PM1/27/09
> Any other ideas on what may be the problem?

I don't sorry. Have you tried Adobe's tech support?

dingo515

Jan 28, 2009, 9:05:29 PM1/28/09
I get the exact same error messages. Have not been able to solve it. Close to
giving up. The frustrating part is that Shockwave 10 worked great - I would
not have upgraded had I known. I have un-installed then re-installed the full
version several times but that does not fix it. Does anyone know how to check
and/or alter the Xtras folder??? Or if you can install 10 instead of 11??
Please let me know if you hear anything further....

Fsmobilez.com

Feb 5, 2009, 1:32:42 PM2/5/09
keep commenting i hope adobe's tech support will be there to help...

simpotoms

Feb 9, 2009, 6:21:03 AM2/9/09
Ok i tracked down the problem.There is no shockwave problem only my display
driver on vista and especially igfx from the intel display driver.I downloaded
the latest driver but it says it's not for my video card version (altough it
clearly says it's my version on their page.).I hope this helps someone.

Chris Will

Mar 9, 2009, 11:11:01 AM3/9/09
having similar problem with various textbook sites. The current "full"
installer does not install the stated xtras, as per tn_19523. Is there another
FULL installer that will, in fact, install the stated Xtras? and in the same
locations as needed. I ran throught the problem with the Macromedia=>Adobe
registry change in the fall and thought it was all fixed, but I guess not.

thechurchofdave

Mar 23, 2009, 1:36:11 PM3/23/09
OK here is what I believe to be the answer to the problems I am seeing here. I
had very similar problems which were hard to resolve until I read the following
page very closely.
Http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb403264&sliceId=1

The important thing here is to make sure that when you run the program
"unwise.exe" to uninstall the old shockwave that you make sure that all
programs are turned off. This means your web browser should be closed and also
the icon for shockwave helper shoudl not be in your tray.

I used a great little program called Process Explorer to turn just this kinda
stuff off. You can get it free at
http://download.cnet.com/Process-Explorer/3000-2094_4-10223605.html

Once you close everything and THEN run the uninstaller UNWISE.EXE located in
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Adobe\Shockwave 11 everything will fully delete and you
can then run the installer again. http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/ is where it
can be downloaded.

When you reinstall it will reload SWHELPER in your tray. Now you can go back
to your favorite game and when it loads SWHELPER will download any parts
(xtras) which are needed to run that game.

Hope this helps everyone who is having problems.