Missing Shockwave Decompression XTRA

Grinning Fool

Jan 7, 2008, 5:00:57 PM1/7/08
A client is trying to use the British Museum website:

http://www.mesopotamia.co.uk/geography/challenge/cha_set.html

The shockwave applet halfway down gives the following error:
Missing shockwave decompression XTRA.
I have installed the latest version of Shockwave from the Adobe website.
Adobe website doesn't seem to have anything helpful in this regard.
Can anyone advise?

karova32

Jan 14, 2008, 8:15:38 PM1/14/08
You need to make sure that you download the Shockwave Player FULL, not SLIM,
because slim doesn't download the XTRA. Try this website:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/

Pick the one for your browser and computer. Uninstall the Shockwave Player
that you have right now, and re-install a FULL version. I did this because I
had the same problem, and it worked.

God bless!

kidkart

Jan 27, 2008, 10:23:52 PM1/27/08
thanks kereva32! much appreciated

RobertGault

Sep 17, 2008, 10:51:15 PM9/17/08
I am having the same problem and have tried downloading the full version of
Player with 36 included xtras. I am still getting the missing shockwave
decompression xtra at the site given by Grinning Fool. I also get the message at
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/mystery/game.html when I select one of the mysteries
to play.

I'm using a WinXP Home SP2 system and tried both I.E.6 and SeaMonkey 1.1.10 as
browsers with Shockwave Player 11.0.0.465. On WinXP, installation of Player
puts the xtra info in Window\system32\Adobe\Shockwave 11\Xtras but I have also
copied the information to
Documents and Settings\"user name"\Application Data\Adobe\Shockwave Player
11\Xtras
to no avail.

So, what is left to try? Adobe support is useless unless you buy a product or
purchase service. There are no solutions on the Internet that work. Adobe
knowledge base just suggests getting the current version of player and that
clearly does not work.

kix_ko

Oct 9, 2008, 11:21:52 PM10/9/08
download SWADCMPR.X32 @
http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2003/ofr03-193/cd_files/Xtras/?C=S;O=D
then copy the file and paste to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Shockwave 10\Xtras
note: must have shockwave installed

blogono

Oct 29, 2008, 12:46:55 PM10/29/08
[q][i]Originally posted by: [b][b]kix_ko[/b][/b][/i]

download SWADCMPR.X32 @
http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2003/ofr03-193/cd_files/Xtras/?C=S;O=D
then copy the file and paste to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Shockwave 10\Xtras
note: must have shockwave installed[/q]

i tried that, but got an error code and debug-information. do you know why?

_ _ _ _ _ __ _ __ _ _ __ _ __ _ _ __ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ __ _ __

:light; http://www.toolbe.com :heart; http://blogono.com :music;
http://www.rockmyspace.info :clock; http://www.hostingtops.com

biko5a

Mar 20, 2009, 9:33:15 PM3/20/09
:tounge;:wine;
well there is no audio rendering!
What..,?

pszczolamorska

Mar 21, 2009, 6:06:54 PM3/21/09
Alternates link above gives slim version regardless. Get Shockwave full 9.2M
install not slim one from adobe as found here: http://tiny.pl/bktg ;

then all the nice Xtras are installed into system32\Adobe\Shockwave 11\Xtras
; copy them all to system32\Macromed\Shockwave 10\Xtras do not overwrite
existing six files. restart. sorted.

this is also nice shockwave audio test:
http://www.do-not-zzz.com/powerd/index.html

cheers!

zeromaster58

Mar 28, 2009, 5:38:17 PM3/28/09
When you go to download; pick the link referring to "different browser"; you'll
get the opportunity to pick the full version there after detailing your OS and
language, though I haven't tried all combinations of listbox selections. It
solved my problem. Be aware for Win2k users that there's a disclaimer about
this version being unsupported, but it's working fine for me so far.