Can't delete Flash9.ocx

rja1234

Jul 26, 2006, 12:45:57 AM7/26/06
While trying to solve some Flash/IE installation problems, I have discovered
that I can't delete the following file:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Macromed\Flash\Flash9.ocx
I've tried safe mode, "move on boot", BartPE, and nothing will get rid of this
file. The read only attribute is set and cannot be changed....does anybody have
any ideas as to what might be causing this?
Thanks,

Rob

Kempyness

Jul 29, 2006, 3:04:18 PM7/29/06
Hiya

I'm having the exact opposite problem...my PC can't find that file! And my
flash crashes on all sites that use Flash. Version 9 has evidently got some
sort of issues that need fixing. The sooner the better.

Sarah22Manchester

Aug 14, 2006, 11:36:46 AM8/14/06
Hi Kempyness, have you resolved your problem? If so how?

For the past year whenever I visit a site with some form of flash content
(even a small banner Ad) my browser comes up with the error [b]Internet
Explorer has encountered a problem with an add on and needs to close, the
following add on was running when this problem occured - File : Flash8.0cx[/b]

So when Flash 9 came out I was overjoyed as I thought all my problems would be
solved...alas no, now I get exactly the same situation and message but its now
the add on Flash9.0cx

This is ruining my surfing now as more and more sites are using Flash, i've
tried everything...various browsers...Opera, Netscape, Firefox etc etc...same
probs. I've emailed Adobe...No response, I've emailed Microsoft...No response.
I've sent literally hundreds of error reports to Microsoft support...NO
response. I've posted endlessly on various Tech forums and asked for advice and
although people have tried to help i've not managed to solve it.

I've uninstalled and re-installed many times the Flash programme...I've got
all the latest updates on my PC...I even uninstalled virtually everything on my
PC except the Flash and the Operating System (XP PRO) and it still happened.
Active X is updated as well. I have to turn images off when I visit my college
site because otherwise I couldn't browse it...It is so frustrating!

I've got to the stage where i'm beginning to dread going on-line, if you could
help or anyone I would be really grateful.

Or

If someone from Adobe could please take ownership of this and try to help, I
might only be 1 user with a problem that doesnt interest you but I deserve to
be able to Surf the net without stress dont I?

Sarah

calgal46

Aug 15, 2006, 4:53:45 PM8/15/06
sarah I too have the same issue. It keeps some sites from loading and freezes
my pc as well. I miss my Crickler and i am so angry. I am 59 & it is a shame
that adobe is not responding to a major issue. I wanted version 7 back but
no.... I think it is a shame when i was asked to install needed components for
a game and got this crap.

Birdz

Aug 16, 2006, 8:13:06 AM8/16/06
I have experienced the same issues using the Flash 9 uninstall from Control
Panel->Add/Remove programs. It appears to uninstall, but the Flash9.ocx is
left in place as well as the version information in the registry. I managed to
remove the Flash9.ocx by running the uninstaller (uninstfl.exe) with the -u
switch, and then manually deleting the file. I'm responsible for deploying the
Flash Player throughout a large corporation, and this is causing me a lot of
problems.

Running Uninstfl.exe is supposed to remove Flash, but it doesn't. It would be
great to see an uninstaller that actually does what it's supposed to do, I
don't think that's too much to ask.

Birdz

Aug 16, 2006, 11:06:54 AM8/16/06
Here's the steps I followed that allowed me to successfully remove Flash9.

First reboot the machine and make sure there are no Flash applications active.
You can obtain msizap.exe from Microsoft, and Uninstfl.exe from Adobe, sorry
not to
specify their download locations, but if you search the site you should be
able to find the
pertinent information. Next, follow the following steps:

1. run the uninstall command:

%windir%\system32\msiexec.exe /X{BB65C393-C76E-4F06-9B0C-2124AA8AF97B}
/qb-

2. run msizap:
msizap.exe T {BB65C393-C76E-4F06-9B0C-2124AA8AF97B}

3. run uninstlfl.exe twice using the following switches:
uninstfl.exe -q -u flash9.ocx
uninstfl.exe -q flash9.ocx

4. If %windir%\system32\macromed\flash\flash.ocx still exist, delete it
manually

This worked for me, hopefully it will work for you as well.

SJesMe

Aug 17, 2006, 1:30:09 PM8/17/06
***A GOOD FIX***
I was fighting with this problem for months and finally found a good fix. This
is what I did:
1. Use the uninstaller at Adobe's Web site following the instructions given
here: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14157
2. Empty temporary files and internet cache and restart.
3. Download the latest FlashPlayer version 9 from Adobe's web site here:
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFl
ash

At this point check and be sure that you have a file named "Flash.ocx" in both
your Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 and Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash folders,
as well as the "Flash9.ocx" in the Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash folder. If
you do, you have a good install.

4. Download Flash8.ocx from www.rrdownloads.net/Flash.zip (I suppose that file
is buried somewhere on Adobe, but I couldn't find it; nonetheless, this link is
a safe one)
5. Unzip the active x file into your Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash folder
6. In the same Windows folder, rename "Flash9.ocx" to Flash-9.ocx (or anything
else)
7. Then rename the Flash8.ocx (from the downloaded zip file) to Flash9.ocx

Restart et voila ... no more crash errors.

Caution: This fix has worked for me on a WinXP Pro and WinXP Home O/S, running
IE6. I cannot vouch for any others. I hope it works for you!

Sarah22Manchester

Aug 19, 2006, 3:39:39 AM8/19/06
No i'm afraid that doesn't work for me SJesMe.

Followed your instructions to the letter and exactly the same thing happens
except my error now says -

Internet Explorer has encountered a problem with an add on and needs to close,
the following add on was running when this problem occured - File : Flash8.0cx

AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: flash9.ocx
ModVer: 8.0.24.0 Offset: 000400cc

This just has to be the crappiest plug-in ever in the history of the frigging
universe!!!

delagare

Aug 29, 2006, 11:01:09 AM8/29/06
Am having the same problems since installing Flash 9. (Windows XP/Explorer 6).
Flash 7 and 8 worked just fine. Now, can't get 7 back, and 8 automatically
deleted when 9 installed. Am fed up. Tried to uninstall/ reinstall...still get
freezing when media/ video plays. Tried EVERY solution Adobe recommended...to
no avail. Positively an issue with Adobe Flash 9. They need to fix it!!!!! Glad
to know problem exists in Explorer7 as well...Was going to install in hopes it
would fix the problem. We need to let Adobe know!!!!!

Paul Betlem - Macr

Aug 29, 2006, 1:07:13 PM8/29/06

There are 2 problems being discussed here. One is difficulty in deleting or
uninstalling Flash Player for Windows IE. The quick solution is to run the
uninstaller, which is found here:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14157

The uninstaller both unlocks and deletes the Flash Player. (The Flash Player
is locked upon install to prevent a malicious web site from tricking people
into installing spyware or malware that masquerades as the Flash Player.)

Alternately. you can run %windir%\systems32\macromed\flash\UninstFL.exe at
Birdz advised. This uninstaller requires no special download and should already
be on your system.

The second problem that is being discussed here are Flash Player crashes. The
most valuable piece of information you can provide is the URL where the crash
occurred. Its also essential to provide the version number of the Flash Player
you're using and your confirguration (operating system and browser version).
You get bonus points for returning to the URL and letting us know if the crash
occurred a second time. With this information, we can track down the root cause
and resolve it.

Thanks for your help.

--- Paul
Flash Player Engineering

PuReCaP

Sep 4, 2006, 12:54:06 PM9/4/06
The only way is formatting your hd

I deleted it by installing xp on a second hard drive leaving the the original
one intact so all my files were safe
I then moved the files I wanted over to the Newer Hard drive the one with a
fresh xp on it and then i formated the otherhard drive with Flash9.ocx and it
clears the files out but it is like using a stick of tnt to move something
small.

bio2935c

Sep 8, 2006, 4:39:21 AM9/8/06
Okay Paul, you want a URL?
www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/crosswords/crickler.html
I'm using Flash9 (9.0.16.0) on IE6 (6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
and IE always crashes on this page.
Sometimes it just crashes the active window; other times it crashes all (well,
both) IE windows.

bio2935c

Global Explorer

Sep 8, 2006, 7:06:51 AM9/8/06
Paul,

here is another link: http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_upload (page 2 of this
link). Flash 9 crashes when I click the browse button which should open the
window to chose to file to be uploaded. I am using Windows XP and MS Internet
Explorer 6.0.

Thanks,

Global Explorere

Paul Betlem - Macr

Sep 8, 2006, 11:39:34 AM9/8/06
Thanks for the links. I could not get either scenario to crash, but I'll get
some help from other members of the Flash Player team.

We'll provide an update once we know more. Also, if you encounter other
crashes, please keep the URL's coming. Its a big help.

--- Paul

gidgeedad

Sep 8, 2006, 5:45:37 PM9/8/06
This flash9.ocx crash happens all the time playing Yahoo Chess. It is a total nuisance since you often lose the match you're playing because you can't log back in in time. Please fix it.

dakota__

Sep 10, 2006, 2:18:11 PM9/10/06
Paul,
I'm having the same problem playing Hearts on MSN games.
http://zone.msn.com/en/hearts/default.htm It has happened half a dozen times
in the last two days. I have Windows XP Prof, Flash Player 8 and Internet
Explorer Version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp.060210-1526. I receive a message that
there is a problem with add-on File: Flash8.ocx and it shuts down Internet
Explorer.
Thanks for your help.
Wendy

kacustom

Sep 10, 2006, 7:24:08 PM9/10/06
This is the page I'm having trouble with http://games.yahoo.com/games/downloads/bj2.html . It keeps killing all internet pages. I'm running Windows XP and IE 7 and Flash 9. Please help!@!

ldybadger

Sep 11, 2006, 5:58:25 PM9/11/06
Hi Paul

I am having this issue on a a game site called neopets. The flash game is
launched in a popup window from this URL
http://www.neopets.com/games/kou-jong.phtml. I am using Flash 9 on IE
6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 on Win XP home with service pack 2
installed. This error seems to occure randomly, but only when i am on the
second level of the game (which is very frustrating, because I have to start
all over again!). I downloaded Flash 9, because I was having the EXACT same
problem with Flash 8.

I would get the error message "There is a problem with add-on File:
Flash8.ocx and it shuts down Internet Explorer" and it would close ALL my IE
windows.

So I unistalled Flash 8 using the unistaller here on your site and installed
flash 9. I did this approximately 1 week ago.

I started playing my game again and again encountered the error "there is a
problem with add-on File: Flash9.ocx and it shuts down Internet Explorer" Again
it closes all my IE windows.

one last piece of information. I only seem to encounter this problem on this
game (which is very new to the neopets website). I have played a couple other
(older) flash games and have not encountered this problem. You may wish to
contact their programmers and see what (if anything) they changed in their game
format.

I hope this information is helpful and I REALLY hope you solve this issue soon!

thanks
ldybadger

Paul Betlem - Macr

Sep 12, 2006, 12:05:27 AM9/12/06

Thanks for the great feedback (and patience). We have some engineers from the
Flash Player team investigating these issues that you all have reported here.
The goal is to determine if we already have fixes for them. In a few weeks, I'd
like your help in confirming that we have indeed fixed all of the issues. We'll
have a pre-release version of the Flash Player available for testing.

Please continue to provide any additional error reports here, and the exact
URL for the web page. Any background info on how often you see the issue and
your configuration is also very helpful. Thanks again.

--- Paul

maybethisoneisfree

Sep 12, 2006, 4:46:54 AM9/12/06
It seems to be a bug with the MovieClip.swapDepths() command. As i removed it
from our application it stopped crashing.

This was my old post:

Tested with flash9.ocx (maybe german locale), version 9.0R16:
crash at address 0x30089094:

.text:30089089 85 C0 test eax, eax
.text:3008908B 89 45 E0 mov [ebp+var_20], eax
.text:3008908E 0F 8D B5 02 00 00 jge loc_0_30089349
.text:30089094 8B 46 54 mov eax, [esi+54h]

At the last command esi has occasionally a value of 0x80, resulting in an
access at address 0x000000D4 which is of course not valid.

As far as I can see/guess, the commands are part of the actionscript bytecode
interpreter, at least that part is executed several hundred times a second,
which makes conditional breakpoints unuseable :(

Kempyness

Sep 16, 2006, 1:03:23 PM9/16/06
Paul

The URL that I use when flash causes an error is:
http://secure.kshs.lincs.sch.uk/C14/Mahjongg/default.aspx

BUT you WILL NOT be able to access it as it obviously is a private web
resource. I will be happy to use it and report back to you though.

I also receive this error message: Internet Explorer has encountered a problem

with an add on and needs to close, the following add on was running when this

problem occured - File : Flash9.0cx

I reported this problem to Adobe way back in July and got no response. Also I
tried Microsoft and many other tech forums but nobody seems to know what is
wrong. I do hope Adobe come up with a fix soon!!!

Thanks, Kim

P.S. Sarah22Manchester I did not manage to solve it and I too have been
hunting high and low for help but alas, to no avail.

Kempyness

Sep 16, 2006, 1:22:15 PM9/16/06
i officially HATE flash. ignore the last post. it just crashed. damn it. =[

Kempyness

Sep 16, 2006, 1:17:19 PM9/16/06
oh. my. god. you are not going to believe this. after posting the above
message, i went to the URL. and its working fine =\ how is this? has there been
some miraculous fix that i haven't been told about?!?!

jdibblee

Sep 16, 2006, 11:26:25 PM9/16/06
I been having the same problem with a new 2 week old winxp home system
Internet explorer had encountered an error Flash9.ocx
in www.youtube.com and some other manufacture sites.

My solution - used the adobe uninstaller.
Then loaded flash8 from developers achive - note this had the same error.
Uninstalled agin but this time downloaded Flash7 and installed it.

Working now... I'll wait and see when Adobe or MS have a soution.
Not sure if this is MS update is to blame.

javacat54

Sep 17, 2006, 5:02:06 PM9/17/06
Until I installed Flash 9 I've had no browser issues that I could attribute to
the earlier version (8) of the flash player I used. However since initial
install in mid-August, that's no longer the case.

The first indication was a persistent message window re: "flash9.ocx' file"
while online gaming at the Pogo (EA) game site. The url is www.pogo.com; but I
have a member signon so I'm not sure the error scenario can be reproduced
explicitly. It did not crash IE and I could just click "OK" and the game would
continue. Sometimes message would show up after I logged off. I was able to
browse other websites without encountering any flash errors and/or browser
crashes. Approximate error message: "Internet Explorer has encountered a
problem. File : Flash9.ocx"

I created a win/checkpoint prior to installing the Flash 9 player, so I went
back and restored. No relief just stranger stuff -- the win/restore obviously
does not back off the player.

I no longer get the weird messages on Pogo but other sites that exhibit the
following scenario:

Flash content won't display;
Website displays Macromedia button & instructions to update to latest version;
Clickable link to Macromedia
(http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveF
lash).

(Specific url prompting download:
http://www.zillow.com/search/Search.htm?citystatezip=85025&mode=browse)

I did bite the bullet and re-install the player (after another checkpoint) but
the above error at Zillow persists; regardless of win/restore. I still see the
same information on the player version, file locations, file names, and file
versions.

The Adobe browser test for the Flash player version I'm using shows: 9.0.16.0.
The flash.ocx files (v 6.0.79.0) are in both folder locations
(Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 and Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash).
The flash9.ocx file (9.0.16.0) is in the right location too.
My OS is winxp/home(sp2); browser is IE 6.0; maintenance is current-to-date.

I'll proceed with your advice regarding the uninstall but I hope a
Macromedia-supplied solution arrives soon -- even after clearing cache, temp,
etc. there appears to be some sort of version conflict going and it effects
browser performance.

jdibblee

Sep 17, 2006, 9:41:52 PM9/17/06
Forget my last solution - I'm like Kempyness - it has come back (frustrating)

Just tried a windows reinstall and then downloaded flash9 - still get the
error message.

I see in another thread that someone has a registry update that appears to fix
this using www.donglefree.com
:disgust;

Sarah22Manchester

Sep 19, 2006, 3:07:24 AM9/19/06
I have http://uk.yahoo.com/ set as my home page, today they have a flash
advert on it for a company called First Choice...it's a pity I cant excercise
MY First Choice of homepage as it crashes due to the flash content. I've had to
change my homepage!!!

Paul Betlem - Macr

Sep 19, 2006, 3:21:28 PM9/19/06

We're still investigating these issues, particularly the ones with Zillow.com
and uk.yahoo.com, but I personnaly haven't seen the issues after a bit of
testing. The issues can be intermittent and tricky to reproduce, though. Here's
my suggestion - continue to send in this type of info as its very helpful.
Shortly (I can't provide the exact timing just yet) we'll have an updated
version for you all to test. This will allow you to confirm that we've fixed
the issues you're seeing. If we haven't, I'll do my best to resolve it before
we deliver an updated version.

Again, thank you all for your patience and assistance!

--- Paul

gary@littleplanet

Sep 20, 2006, 11:02:56 AM9/20/06
Hello Paul-

I have populations of users experiencing a problem with Internet Explorer 6
with Flash Player v. 9.0.16.0 and our elearning content. Internet Explorer
stops with the error "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem with an
add-on, and needs to close.
The following add-on was running when this problem occured:
File: Flash9.ocx
Company Name: Adobe Systems Incorporated

I have a link to a testing server for our content that I can give your
engineers privately.

This error is highly reproducable from my site, and is being experienced by
thousands of our customers worldwide. It also appears that you are having
difficulty seeing it on sites provided by forum participants, probably because
the sample sites are changing flash content continually - ours is static.

Thanks for responding to this forum.

Paul Betlem - Macr

Sep 20, 2006, 12:30:56 PM9/20/06
Gary,

I'm happy to help out.

Feel free to send me the URL and login information at pbe...@adobe.com and
I'll make sure the problem is resolved quickly. There is a known crash issue
related to accessing text fields using the "var" property (variable associated
with the text field) in Flash Authoring. To avoid the crash, the solution is
the use of the ActionScript ".text" property to manipulate the text field
values.

For example,

textFieldName.text = "this sets a text field value";
textFieldName.text = ""; // clear out text field

will work fine.

Not sure if this is the problem you're seeing, but its the most likely issue
to explore. If your issue is different, we'll help isolate it and provide a
solution.

--- Paul

calgal46

Sep 21, 2006, 10:51:28 AM9/21/06
I was forced to install the new flash on my dell2400. I already had the
flashplayer 9 error on my 2350. Now i go to sbsun.com and no crickler ...again.
Please i need an easy fix. As you may notice i am calgal46 & forgot that.

Sarah22Manchester

Sep 21, 2006, 11:21:50 AM9/21/06
Thought i'd be a smarty pants and download the new Internet Explorer browser
(version 7) and a little part of me hoped against hope that all problems would
be solved

Within 20 seconds of rebooting and launching it I got the following (i've
uploaded the screenshot)...

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/8014/flashcrashvf1.jpg

I feel like screaming!!!

poop shoot

Sep 22, 2006, 8:06:09 PM9/22/06
I was on myspace.com trying to access a friend's website and received the same
error msg as the above users did. I built my own system, am running Windows XP
Pro SP2, using Internet Explorer Version:
6.0.2900.218.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519, and have just recenty installed Windows
on this systems. I have the latest version of Flash Player, which is 9.0. I'm
not going to waste any/all my time trying to resolve an issue that is Adobe's
problem. I'm not getting paid to fix this issue, therefore why should I have to
continue to put up with it? It sucks that Adobe is providing it since it really
sucks. As previous posts say, Adobe needs to again address the issue and find a
resolution and once a resolution is found, needs to be provided to the users.
The issue has been addressed, but why no updates or fixes with this many people
having the same problem? It just doesn't make any sense. All the fixes listed
above take entirely too much of my time and some of them don't even work.

Boltguy1

Sep 23, 2006, 7:22:59 PM9/23/06
Don't know if this will help any of you guys but...
I've been having the same problem with flash9.ocx as most of you - "IE has
encountered...etc". Have XP Pro SP2 with all patches, latest IE6 (with all
patches), Spybot, Spyware Doctor, Norton AV, everything up to date, yadayada.
Mine occured on MSN Games, Texas Hold-em (played havoc with my ratings, I'll
tell you). Read lots of forums, tried several "fixes", kept having problem.
Last week one of the other players suggested I close ALL but the game window
and sure enough, I haven't had a crash since. Played a bunch of times and no
crashes!!! reactivated Spyware Dr., XP's firewall, the AV - no crashes! Don't
know why. It may not be more than a workaround until Paul & Co. get it figured
out, but what the hell? Hope this helps at least some of you.

Sarah22Manchester

Sep 28, 2006, 8:49:40 AM9/28/06
Any news on a possible resolution Mr Betlem?

Paul Betlem - Macr

Sep 28, 2006, 12:09:11 PM9/28/06
Hi -

I'd be happy to provide an update. I believe many (if not all) issues as
reported here have been addressed. Policy prevents me from communicating
specific dates, but a Public Beta version will be available soon. (Hint: Soon
implies early October.)

The primary reason I can't be more specific on having fixed every issue is
that not all of the content is publicly accessible (some of the games require a
special account) or the content changes (such as on uk.yahooo.com) so the
problem disappears. This is why I'm hoping to get everyone's help in verifying
that the issue you're seeing is fixed.

I'll notify this group once the Beta release is live on labs.adobe.com. You
can then download an update and confirm that you're set.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to respond.

--- Paul

kacustom

Sep 28, 2006, 3:32:24 PM9/28/06
Paul-

I for one really appreciate the time and effort you have put into this
problem. The updates from you have been a big relief and actually quite
unexpected.

Once again, thanks for your time and consideration to our problem.

Thanks,
"Putting Down The Bat"

Paul Betlem - Macr

Sep 28, 2006, 9:44:42 PM9/28/06
Thanks. Its always beneficial for the engineering team to get first-hand
insight to the problems that the Flash community encounters when they use our
technology. With 5 million new installs *every* day, its quite a task to make
everyone happy, but we'll do our best. Actually, you all deserve the credit as
you're taking time to isolate problems that we missed.

In any case, thanks for putting down the bat - I'm not particularly attractive
to begin with, but I'm confident that this can't help. :-)

--- Paul

funene

Sep 30, 2006, 4:33:06 PM9/30/06
Had the same problem believe it or not it was simple to delete (drag & drop) to the recycke bin!

funene

Sep 30, 2006, 4:33:15 PM9/30/06
Had the same problem believe it or not it was simple to delete (drag & drop) to the recycle bin!

funene

Sep 30, 2006, 4:32:48 PM9/30/06
Had the same problem believe it or not it simple to delete (drag & drop) to the recycke bin!

funene

Sep 30, 2006, 4:38:19 PM9/30/06
Had the same problem believe it or not it was simple to delete (drag & drop) to the recycle bin!

funene

Sep 30, 2006, 4:41:44 PM9/30/06
I got it deleted by dragging and dropping the file to recycle bin!

eelnicki

Oct 4, 2006, 9:10:04 AM10/4/06
I found my answer to this issue in the registry, the following key below had an
odd ending consisting of a "/1" after flash.ocx. I deleted the extra chars,
and all is right with the world after restarting IE.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{57A0E746-3863-4D20-A811-950C84F1DB9B}\1.0\0\win32

The incorrect entry was:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\macromed\flash\flash.ocx\1

The Correct value is:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\macromed\flash\flash.ocx

FYI, I did a regedit FIND for "flash.ocx" and looked for anything out of the
ordinary; try that if my fix doesn't work.

McNast

Oct 4, 2006, 7:00:36 PM10/4/06
Adobe has a beta release for Flash Player 9.0.18.0. Please download and test it here:

http://labs.adobe.com/

Paul Betlem - Macr

Oct 5, 2006, 1:43:34 AM10/5/06

As noted, the public beta of the Flash Player 9 updater 1 is live as of this
afternoon. I strongly encourage everyone to install a copy and confirm that any
issue you're seeing has been resolved. I created a topic called "Flash Player 9
Update 1 Feedback" to ensure your comments on the public beta receive special
attention. Note that time is short, so please begin testing soon.

Thank you all for your help and patience to date. The Flash Player team
greatly appreciates it.

More information is available on the Labs site:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer9/

--- Paul

eelnicki

Oct 5, 2006, 9:34:13 AM10/5/06
WORKED FOR ME:

I ran the previously posted uninstall instructions, which did uninstall it but
didn't kills flash9.ocx.

Desperate, I downloaded and installed the basic version of Flash 8, which
includes the flash 8 player, as I was unable to find a Flashplayer8 standalone
package.

Anyways, My IE6 no longer crashes when I try to open up Crickelr and other
flash sites.

As an aside, it seems like every new Adobe version has been absolute junk,
with multiple stupid errors, especially with IE plugins (Acrobat7). What the
heck happened????

Paul Betlem - Macr

Oct 5, 2006, 11:22:24 AM10/5/06

The crickler.com issue should be solved when using the test version posted
above (9.0.18.60). Some people have also had trouble with the Texas Hold 'Em
game - this is fixed too.

The uninstallers are also posted on the Labs site to ensure your current
version is removed completely.

--- Paul

milletics

Oct 6, 2006, 7:26:23 AM10/6/06
:disgust; Paul; I too have had the problem described above. I never did before
til about a month ago. Now it happens on all sites that have flash content.
Yahoo, nickjr, pandora, are a few that it happens to me on. Sometimes
immediately when going to the site and sometimes after a few minutes, but it
will always do it. It is getting so frustrating. Please help.
I did uninstall the flash9 using your uninstaller as you said and then I
downloaded and installed the beta version. And not to my surprise, I still have
that error! It did not fix the problem. What can I do?
A couple of times after acknowledging the error my pc actually rebooted
itself. Scarry!
And also; can that active-x control affect games(installed games, not games on
the internet), because I play a game called battlefield 2 and about the same
time as the flash9 error I have been having an issue where it will crash to
desktop and sometimes reboot my pc. I have never had that issue before till
this flash problem. But if its unrelated; please help me with this flash
error!! Where can I get flash7 or flash8. I cant find them anywhere on the
net.
Thanks!!!

czarman

Oct 7, 2006, 11:53:51 PM10/7/06
Paul,

Thanks for the new flash beta. I was very happy to get something to help fix
my problem. The beta was working out okay untill I went to the website
http://www.townhall.com. It will not load the website and keeps giving me the
error message with the details below:

IEXPLORE executed an invalid instruction in
module FLASH9B.OCX at 0167:3005121e.
Registers:
EAX=03201c40 CS=0167 EIP=3005121e EFLGS=00010246
EBX=00000002 SS=016f ESP=00646e6c EBP=00646ea0
ECX=03207ec0 DS=016f ESI=03207f60 FS=13a7
EDX=00000003 ES=016f EDI=00000005 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
0f 77 8b 46 38 db 80 88 00 00 00 51 db 40 64 51
Stack dump:
006473e4 03207f60 03205780 00000000 41a00000 fffffab9 ffffffd8 00000001
00646f70 30072ae0 00647418 03207ec8 00000004 00646f70 30072fce 03207f60

Is there anything that you can suggest to help fix this problem? I appreciate
your help in this matter.

Thanks,
Al

Paul Betlem - Macr

Oct 9, 2006, 12:44:39 AM10/9/06
Milletics,

The problem you describe seems much more severe than one caused by Flash. In
general, Flash can only caused your browser to malfunction, not your system to
restart. Are you using Win 95 or Win 98? Is there a chance you have a virus or
some other type of malware running on your system?

Here's a possible next step. Can you run the uninstaller on the Labs site?
Then, go ahead and surf the web without Flash installerd. Do not re-install
Flash, even if prompted. Does the crash still occur? If so, can you provide a
screen print?

--- Paul

Paul Betlem - Macr

Oct 9, 2006, 12:51:31 AM10/9/06
Al,

I went to the townhall site as requested. I could not get a crash to occur.
Strangely enough, there is very little Flash content on this page (other than
an advertisement or two). If you return to the site, do you see the crash? Can
you capture a screen print so I can see the context?

--- Paul

milletics

Oct 9, 2006, 7:49:30 AM10/9/06
Paul; I run XP. I will run my virus scanner and uninstall flash and see what happens. Thanks. I will let you know.

thegate55

Oct 9, 2006, 3:02:14 PM10/9/06
I also got flash to work after I
1. Uninstalled the flash Player With the uninstaller
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14157
2. reboot computer
3. remove safe versions from registry using regedit . follow the steps thru 4
then stop. DO NOT FOLLOW STEP 5 as this will just reinstall the imperfect flash
player 9 again.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?event=view&id=KC.4a8d52ae&e
xtid=4a8d52ae&dialogID=157746351&iterationID=2&sessionID=9630212957305d4a5df8&st
ateID=1+0+157722798&mode=advanced
3. Reboot computer again.
4. Now go to this url and download flash player 7
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14266
5. Flash Player should now work.
6. Be very wary of Flash Player 9 untill they fix it.
Hope this helps.

cumtavo

Oct 11, 2006, 1:31:28 AM10/11/06
Dear Paul,

I saw your message while looking for help with my flashplayer problem and I
have given you as much info as I can to help us all that are encountering this
problem using flashplayer 9.0. By the way I don?t know if it matters but when
I looked in my Macromedia File in C:/Windows/system 32/macromedia I noticed
both flash 8 & 9. Is that correct to have both?

[The second problem that is being discussed here are Flash Player crashes. The
most valuable piece of information you can provide is the URL where the crash
occurred. Its also essential to provide the version number of the Flash Player
you're using and your confirguration (operating system and browser version).
You get bonus points for returning to the URL and letting us know if the crash
occurred a second time. With this information, we can track down the root cause
and resolve it.

Thanks for your help.

--- Paul
Flash Player Engineering]

URL:http://www.neopets.com/games/moonrockrampage.phtml

Adobe flashplayer 9.0
MSIE 7.0
OS: Windows XP
Dell Dimension 3000
120 gig HD
1 gig ram memory
Intel Pent 4

I was in level 10 of the game and received this error when trying to proceed
to the next level:

MSIE 7.0 has encountered a conflict with the add on Adobe flashplayer 9.0 and
must close.

Paul Betlem - Macr

Oct 11, 2006, 11:56:59 AM10/11/06
Cumtavo,

I don't have a Neopets account, but the test version of Flash Player 9 on
labs.adobe.com should fix your problem. (Remember to run the uninstaller before
trying to install the test version.) If it doesn't, let me know.

Note that there is no harm in having multiple versions of Flash in
c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash on your system. Only one is active at a time
and its typically the newest (greatest version) one. For example, flash9b.ocx
is newer than flash9a.ocx which is newer that flash8.ocx. If you accidentally
delete the active one, you can reinstall to correct the problem.

If you're curious, new versions have unique filenames simply to prevent you
from having to reboot your system when a new version is installed. This
tehnique addresses a Windows limitation and if you're like me, rebooting your
machine is an annoying interruption.

--- Paul

mikeypcb

Oct 11, 2006, 3:07:43 PM10/11/06
cumtavo / Paul - I can confirm that my problems on neopets have been solved
completely since the beta release.

No crashes for 4 days (and counting), and I can play moon rock rampage without
a single problem

dakota__

Oct 11, 2006, 5:59:32 PM10/11/06
Paul, I have downloaded the beta and have not experienced any problems since.
You always hear the problems people are having, so I wanted to share the good
news with you too. Everything has been working perfectly for the applications
I use. Thank you. Thank you.

Paul Betlem - Macr

Oct 11, 2006, 7:07:15 PM10/11/06
Cool - thank you both. Its great to hear the good news. In absence of positive
feedback, I wasn't sure if everything is working well, or if you've gotten
frustrated and given up.

Keep the feedback coming (positive and negative).

--- Paul

Wiz Of Oz

Oct 12, 2006, 5:18:23 AM10/12/06
Hi Paul,

I have an application which fetches about 1000 records (ajax) ... creates an
array in javascript and passes this data to a flash function. This happens
whenever a user clicks on some available links. Flash then processes this data
to perform various tasks including populating a datagrid.

My problem is that if the user clicks on these data-fetching links rapidly the
[b]Flash ocx crashes[/b] the browser, causing the application to terminate. I
believe it may be a problem with the quantity of data being processed. Is there
a soultion to this issue. Can I stop the flash function from processing the old
data and use the new data instantly.

Paul Betlem - Macr

Oct 12, 2006, 1:28:24 PM10/12/06

Have you confirmed that the issue occurs using the test version (9.0.18.60)? If so, can you provide an URL that demonstrates the problem?

--- Paul

Wiz Of Oz

Oct 13, 2006, 3:51:49 AM10/13/06
Hi Paul,

I have used the latest version on "LABS". But the crash recurs.

I should also mention that 2 simultaneous External Interface calls are made to
2 separate flash functions on every click. Also the user has the freedom to
click as often or rapidly as he chooses since the links are on an AJAX driven
tree menu. The crash occurs when little or no data is passed to the flash
functions. Could the click speed (causing flash processing) be the issue or the
2 simultaneous calls to flash.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Warm regards,
Oz

flash7izdabest

Oct 13, 2006, 9:21:03 AM10/13/06
hmmm...

why should we download this new flash beta?...why dont u tell us
what you fixed...and what the problems were...cuz without a doubt there are
major problems with 8 an 9...its like this is all new to you...this flash.ocx
problem has been goin on for more than a year!!...an then these new flash
updates are forced upon the public when they dont even work properly...if u got
probs with this one...go back to 7...seems to work fine...i know now why 3 out
of 8 players in "texas hold em" for msn go to bots...i think its pretty
funny...they have no idea what the heck is goin on...do the ppl that work at
adobe even surf the net?...if u have this flash player forced upon you...just
go to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" and put in "127.0.0.1
fpdownload.macromedia.com" ...im still waitin for more than one "praise" that
this new one works properly

flash7izdabest

Oct 13, 2006, 9:18:11 AM10/13/06
hmmm...

this new one works properly:evil;

playinh_ngm_n

Oct 13, 2006, 12:39:19 PM10/13/06
dear paul,

while you may not be experiencing this problem very much, it is occuring
repeatedly (daily 2-3 times) with my new version of flash9. i play texas hold
'em; and, after 30-45 minutes, i'm terrified of being booted off again due to
"temporary problems". I've uninstalled several times and always been promted to
reinstall. most sites won't run with out it.
i don't know why my plain ol' flash.ocx file already on XP home can't work
just as well. or, for the most part, why does microsoft-who runs msn- work with
adobe-been doin' it for years- allow a problem such as this to continue for
such a long time!!!! if the shoe doesn't fit, you can't wear it.
I bought XP to run some stuff that my 6 and 8 year old windows programs
can't/won't run. Is it just like a parent to let more bad things slide through
on the 2nd,3rd,4th,etc. kids that come along? much like microsoft is letting
people everywhere crash (daily) with programs they've been using for a long
time just because it's windows xp or me or 2000 or whatever. i'm a parent and
if my (latest) kid was causing problems, i'd do something about it.
color me fed up inTN

delagare

Oct 13, 2006, 3:06:12 PM10/13/06
Since Adobe-Macromedia have done little to nothing about these endless/ongoing
problems, perhaps it might be more productive to DIRECTLY CONTACT THE SITES
WHICH USE FLASH CONTENT, and let them know why we cannot enjoy their programs
any longer!
I should think that they might be more successful in getting the attention of
Adobe!!!

Paul Betlem - Macr

Oct 13, 2006, 6:28:04 PM10/13/06
Oz,

The issue you describe could be a Flash Player issue or a browser/system issue
given your use of external interface. Its definitely not one that we've seen
before. In any case, I do think that the 2 simultaneous calls is most likely
the issue. Can you make them sequential? Interactions between the browser and a
plug-in typically need to happen one-at-a-time.

I'd be happy to assign an engineer to investigate if you provide me with an
URL that shows the problem and the steps you're following to cause the crash.

--- Paul

Paul Betlem - Macr

Oct 13, 2006, 10:27:11 PM10/13/06

If you're still experiencing a problem when running Texas Hold 'Em, please do
me a favor. Confirm you're running the Beta version. This is important because
the extensive testing by both Adobe and MSN/Microsoft show no issues. To
confirm that you're using the correct Beta version, go to this URL:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_15507

If the version does not read 9.0.18.60, you'll need to run the uninstaller and
Beta installer, both located here:
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer9.html

If you can generate a crash with this Beta version on Texas Hold 'Em, please
contact me directly so we can diagnose the problem and solve it. Again, thanks
for your help and patience.

--- Paul

flash7izdabest

Oct 14, 2006, 6:30:03 AM10/14/06
mr. paul

in yer link...what does a person whos runnin windows xp ie6 install...
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer9.html

-installer windows active x?
-installer windows plugin?
-standalone player for windows?
:confused;

Paul Betlem - Macr

Oct 14, 2006, 7:06:54 PM10/14/06

Good question.

Once you've run the uninstaller (the install won't work without first
uninstalling), use this file

Windows IE6 or IE7 (or AOL): Installer for Windows ActiveX
Windows Firefox or Opera: Installer for Windows Plug-in

Sorry this wasn't clear. I'll ask that we improve the descriptions before the
next update.

--- Paul

Paul Betlem - Macr

Oct 19, 2006, 11:33:54 AM10/19/06

Last night we refreshed the Flash Player 9 Update 1 Beta on the Labs site with
a new version. If you have pending issues, please download the update and try
it out. Note that time is running short so this is the last opportunity to give
us feedback. To try it out:

1) download the uninstaller and installer for your OS:
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer9.html
(Linux users do not need to uninstall)

2) run the uninstaller (required for Win and Mac)

3) run the installer

4) verify that the uninstall/install succeeded using this test page:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_15507

This forum has been quiet as of recent. Is everyone happy or are you all on
long vacations in remote locations with no web access. :-)

--- Paul

Bentley Wolfe -ADOBE

Oct 19, 2006, 3:33:23 PM10/19/06
The update that Paul mentioned is currently in BETA on labs.adobe.com:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer9/

Everyone on this thread with crashing issues should definitely uninstall
previous Flash Players and test this version (9.0.21.75)

Bentley Wolfe
Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player
Adobe

SJesMe

Oct 19, 2006, 5:51:03 PM10/19/06
Thank you so very much for FINALLY getting what appears to be a good fix to the
dreaded error message "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem with an
add-on, and needs to close.
The following add-on was running when this problem occured:
File: Flash9.ocx
Company Name: Adobe Systems Incorporated

I have been fighting with this frustrating error with both Flash8.ocx and
Flash9.ocx since April 2006!

I have been running Flash Player 9 beta - update 1 version 9.0.18.60 for 3
days with no issues so I'm almost afraid to update to version 9.0.21.75 on the
theory that you don't fix what ain't broke. ^.^

Many thanks Paul Betlem for taking this matter in hand and effecting a good
result. :)

rfolkerts

Oct 20, 2006, 12:41:32 PM10/20/06
Ive downloaded the newest beta version as of 10/18/2006.

Myspace.com pages are still crashing on me. ive tried surfing myspace because
of the abundence of flashed used on the site going to peoples profiles are
still crashing flash9 giving me an error report.
In the error signature, the modname: flash9b.ocx is crashing.

alickluo

Oct 21, 2006, 1:04:42 AM10/21/06
[q][i]Originally posted by: [b][b]rfolkerts[/b][/b][/i]

In the error signature, the modname: flash9b.ocx is crashing.[/q]

me too. The problem is still encountered.
crash..crash..crash..boom.bang. I must go to the version 7 to avoid it.

justavar

Oct 21, 2006, 8:15:04 AM10/21/06
Well, went to 9.0.21.75 this worked...I could not even check email on Yahoo,
before. Of course this occured on a brand new notebook while I was showing it
to my client, who had just purchased it. None the less thanks for the fix.
(and the bug).

WABOTHHC
(what a bunch of tree hugging hippie crap)

flash7izdabest

Oct 22, 2006, 11:26:09 AM10/22/06
...it looks like were all gonna have to wait for Flash Player 14.0.27.79 Beta version ...or until Google buys em out...:disgust

Paul Betlem - Macr

Oct 23, 2006, 11:21:33 AM10/23/06

Glad to hear a number of you are seeing positive results (both in this forum
on those who've contacted me directly). Thanks for the feedback.

For those still having problems with MySpace pages, please provide some
specifics so we can track down the issue.

What is the URL where you encounter a crash?

If you return to this location, does the crash occur a second time?

What OS and browser version are you using?

What version of Flash are you running (which is reported by going to this
page):
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_15507

Once I have this info, we'll take action.

--- Paul

marconilemons

Oct 25, 2006, 1:33:14 PM10/25/06
After hours and hours of trying to find out the problem, searching online and
in these forums, the solution the the freezing browser issue for me was a
simple one. ran dxdiag direct x analyzer and found my sound card drivers were
corrupt. I removed it and Voila!!! All is fine. I reinstalled my card and
drivers and things work great.

It would have been good to find this solution somewhere in the forums instead
of on my own though. What a waste of time!!

Paul Betlem - Macr

Oct 25, 2006, 1:53:52 PM10/25/06

Last call for feedback on issues with the Flash Player 9 Update 1 Beta. If you
still have an issue, send me your config info (OS, browser), the URL where the
problem occurred, and the version of Flash Player (i.e. 9.0.21.75).

--- Paul

Fedupwithcrashing

Oct 27, 2006, 3:02:01 AM10/27/06
I removed the old Flash Player and installed the newest Beta 9.0.21.75, and
still have the same crashing issue. The site where this occurs is;
http://adultfriendfinder.com/p/main.cgi?who=UmFuZG9tSVaz8bjbuVw_zgP_xMOWNVXUkN5O
ZJmCW0TF3gWlPOGGB8L2BilnU5uHwisUXXK7ErmIqL2Woug/iM/QzgLOgLXmluaM5cz/znUe5LF4MAzt
bEXFais0NjtviKcKEsq/U_cYVCfoxYcPuuSDwnqmZYvLD4Wi1bIkMqNzDfcJTj8Qi8ZlevEpHeECW18V
/Q53hpxBeM_sBd87SGMUEKseTnpyYMVu2F54N/Z_u30buUwO7A4fcLOsQeXOOokQL0tM20wyyfULmh_O
zLBGAiRoqdEgqTJ1FAeCkQW5kY1bpdhOg9Yv1zrh3A91MxwtpwXQ_iDXK9jikG6I3xWaPeaHQi4S&m=3
3670630_39487&site=ffadult, I hope that this is enough information, It usually
happens about 10-15 minutes after I start broadcasting my cam to the chat room.
Thus us very frustrating when i am talking to friends fromother countries and
get interupted constantly.

ed86

Oct 27, 2006, 3:23:24 PM10/27/06
Hey Paul

Having problems with this site:

http://www.seultimate.org/uni/kings/home.html

It is an entirely flash site, and worked fine with Flash 8, but now I have
updated to flash 9 I get nothing.
I sometimes get and error coming up with the Flash9.ocx, but the browser is
just blank. - I'm using IE6

The beta update didn't seem to work for me :-(

Ed

aphswarrior

Oct 28, 2006, 5:33:39 PM10/28/06
Just though I'd let you know that there has been another sucess with the new
beta. Ive been looking for a fix to this flash problem for ages vauxhall
trafficnet WAS my problem (
http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/travelandleisure/trafficnet.do?method=loadTrafficNe
t ), but I uninstalled flash and installed the update and everything works!

Thanks

Aidan

luckylinny

Oct 29, 2006, 11:07:25 PM10/29/06
Was getting a nessage to download the latest version of flash player (in IE
6.0) and made the mistake of following the instructions on the adobe website to
uninstall and reinstall. Now I can't get any flash version greater than 7 to
work. Tried what Paul said on 10/19 and installed the beta version. No luck.
any ideas?

Paul Betlem - Macr

Oct 30, 2006, 12:24:12 AM10/30/06

For the Adult Friend Finder site, I'd need your help tracking the issue down
since it will be difficult for us to reproduce the problem on our own. If
you're willing to help, can you follow these instructions to determine if you
have a crash log on your system? This will give us clues as to the source of
the problem.

Locating log files

1. Open up a DOS command line prompt. (From the Start Menu choose Run? then
type "cmd" without quotes in the dialog or select Command Prompt in the
Accessories folder.)
2. Type cd "Local Settings\Temp" at the command line prompt. Make sure that
you enclose the Local Settings in quotation marks.
3. Type "dir *.mdmp" (no quotes) at the command line prompt. These are the
log files that are to be sent to Adobe.

If you find these log files, we're in good shape. I can work with you offlist
to email them to me. Otherwise, we'll need to turn on the log file creation
setting and generate a crash (which will in turn generate a log file that can
be located using the process above). I can help with this if you're interested
in helping. Let me know.

--- Paul

Paul Betlem - Macr

Oct 30, 2006, 12:43:52 AM10/30/06
More feedback ...

Aidan - thanks for letting me know that you're set.

Lucky - what version is reported when you go here:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_15507

What error do you get when you try to install from here:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFl
ash
(you can disable the Yahoo toolbar install)

Ed - The site you provided seems to work fine for me with the Beta version
under Win XP and IE6. Can you send me a screen print when the error occurs or
tell me which meu options you've selected before seeing an error?

--- Paul

luckylinny

Oct 30, 2006, 8:21:38 PM10/30/06
Thanks for responding, Paul. I don't see an adobe version on that page. I get
a big empty box and the gold box at the top "This site might require the
following Active-X control . . ." . The problem is that I get no errors
whereever I download. I run the install and it seems to go ok (no errors, no
indication of a problem). I've tried saving the uninstall and install to my c
drive and running from there. It looks like it all installs, but does not run.
I go back to the test page and there is no change. I've disabled all
firewall, virus softwar, enabled popups, crossed my fingers and lit a few
candles. still no luck.

ed86

Nov 1, 2006, 11:00:16 AM11/1/06
Sorry, Its working fine now Paul.
- must not have installed the beta correctly the first time I tried it... D'oh
Thanks for your help,
Ed

Jim Winings

Nov 2, 2006, 10:28:57 AM11/2/06
This will be the 3rd time I have ATTEMPTED to remove and install some build of
FLASH after 7.

Here's a concept ...

How about creating a program for people to download to fix YOUR problems on
their computers. To include any uninstalls, changing the system register,
downloading the alleged fixes and updates, and the list goes on. Just FYI it's
myspace that I'm having problems with, some ad, which I never get to see for it
crashes.

I've been developing Windows software since version 3.x and NEVER have to
reboot my machine. The ONLY software I have problems with is Adobe software.
And the fact that you release a fix and then days later release a fix for the
fix speaks volumes about what is going on.

Can we say "Total Customer Satisfaction?" NOT

I haven't seen the likes since Microsoft took 3 years to figure out that their
VBA software wasn't resetting the floating point register that caused rounding
errors.

Jim Winings
Principal
Six Sigma SPC

delagare

Nov 2, 2006, 9:33:15 PM11/2/06
[q][i]Originally posted by: [b][b]Jim Winings[/b][/b][/i]

[/q]

[h]Text[/h]

delagare

Nov 2, 2006, 9:50:00 PM11/2/06
[q][i]Originally posted by: [b][b]Jim Winings[/b][/b][/i]

[/q]

Jim Winings, your comments ought to be posted in each and every Forum, and
passed along to each and every site which uses Flash. You are right on the mark!
Now, how to communicate your thoughts to the elusive/illusive Adobe muckedy
mucks?! Will they ever get it?

Katte_Kevorkian

Nov 2, 2006, 11:13:00 PM11/2/06
Wow, I am having the same problem and I was told by Adobe that it was windows
fault.

HA!

Now I am just getting mean, since they say they have never heard of this
problem before.

IT NEEDS FIXING!

flash7izdabest

Nov 3, 2006, 1:46:37 AM11/3/06
Mr. Winings...

can u pls set up a company that produces "flash" as competition for adobe...how about "SixSigmaFlash"...sounds good to me...:):grin;

Jim Winings

Nov 3, 2006, 10:11:02 AM11/3/06
Just to make it official ? I am running ?

Windows XP Home Edition
Build: 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 (Service Pack 2)
IE Version 7.0.5730.11
Flash Version: WIN 9,0,21,75

Well I did the uninstall and reinstall as prescribed above. Went to sleep with
3 tabs open to myspace, woke up and CRASH ? yet again. Believe it or not.

It appears that myspace is the only site I am having problems with, but I have
ActiveX turned off for all but trusted sites. That stops the crashing PDQ. ;-)

I looked in ?
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp

And did a ?
dir *.mdmp

And no files were found.

It looks as if there could be an ad from myspace that is causing the problem,
and giving Adobe the benefit of the doubt, it could be just one advertiser that
is causing the problem. Perhaps making an undocumented call and the like.

Since Katte is having the problem across multiple sites, I would be curious as
to if there is an advertiser that advertises on all the sites she has noted.
This could be a common thread, no pun intended.

If myspace does not rotate ads unless the page is reloaded, then this is
probably NOT the problem. Some sites rotate ads regardless if the page is
reloaded or not. This could mean that there is some sort of timing problem with
the internal mechanism of FLASH. I will start doing SPC on the mean time to
crash to confirm this.

I have had problems when I was running IE 6 where as Adobe?s FLASH install
page would not even start the install.

WARNING? DO NOT DO THE BELOW UNLESS YOU ARE A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL FOR YOU
COULD REALLY REALLY HOSE UP YOUR COMPUTER.

How I fixed it when running IE6 was to, after running their alleged uninstall
tool, I searched my hard drive and physically deleted all occurrences of any
FLASH folders/files. Then I went into the system registry and searched then
deleted every occurrence of any reference to FLASH. Their install page still
would not install FLASH. After finding a link somewhere where I could download
FLASH without going to Adobe?s install page, I was able to get it to work until
I downloaded IE7. However, due to the fact that before I started running IE7,
the only site I went to where I had to have FLASH running i.e. a ?Trusted Site?
was RJR CamelSmokes, so this could be misleading. Last time I was there, which
was on 10/11/06, it didn?t crash, but it wasn?t working correctly either. Input
fields were not allowing inputs. And I don?t remember but I?m 95% sure I was
running IE6 at the time.

If it is indeed a Microsoft problem, and I?m not saying it isn?t, I can
empathize with Adobe, for I had a problem that was a Microsoft bug and I had to
explain to my customers why there were rounding errors. On the other hand,
Adobe is a big company and has many more resources and influence in the
industry than I have and someone, perhaps in the corner office at Adobe, should
call someone, perhaps with the initials BG at Microsoft, and I?d just bet the
problem would get resolved.

But the fact that I have had so many problems, as apparently thousands if not
tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of other users are having, and I
mean before IE7 and on various flavors of Windows, and perhaps various
operating systems and browers, the only common thread I see is Adobe. Also note
that for several years, 1999 to 2003 or so, I also had a lot of problems with
the Adobe Reader.

I really don?t want to take the hours of painstakingly doing what I did before
to fix it, but it looks like I will need to, just to see if that fixes the
problem or not, again.

Kind of makes the entire Internet thing a real displeasure instead of the
pleasure it should be. To say that I am really starting to become disenchanted
with this entire mess would be a gross understatement.

flash7izdabest:
Sure, just come up with about 10 million dollars start up capital ;-)

delagare

Nov 3, 2006, 6:00:52 PM11/3/06
[q][i]Originally posted by: [b][b]Jim Winings[/b][/b][/i]

[/q]

delagare

Nov 3, 2006, 6:02:03 PM11/3/06
[q][i]Originally posted by: [b][b]Jim Winings[/b][/b][/i]

[/q]

floridascubadiver

Nov 9, 2006, 2:45:09 PM11/9/06
I used the utility to uninstall and then reinstalled. It worked well for a
week or so. I have not been on myspace. I am using IE7. The tabs I had
opened the last time it crashed are Microsoft Technet, Google, TBO.com, CNN,
and MSN.

singer2006

Nov 10, 2006, 12:21:37 PM11/10/06
[q][i]Originally posted by: [b][b]SJesMe[/b][/b][/i]
[...]

IE6. I cannot vouch for any others. I hope it works for you![/q]

singer2006

Nov 10, 2006, 12:32:03 PM11/10/06
This worked for me - so far anyway... Just wanted to say thanks SJesMe. I
have been so frustrated by this problem. I have not been able to get the
Vauxhall site
http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/travelandleisure/trafficnet.do?method=loadTrafficNe
t since upgrading to Flash9. Really frustrating as I commute round the M25
everyday and this site was really helpful. It will take a lot for me to
upgrade anything from Adobe...
tx

singer2006

Nov 10, 2006, 12:32:07 PM11/10/06