Flash8b.ocx problems with IE

skbill

Apr 16, 2006, 3:52:08 PM4/16/06
:confused;

I've been looking at the various forums but no idea how to fix my problem.

When playing a particular game on the internet it frequently crashes and
comes up with the error that it's a problem with Flash8b.ocx add-on. I've
uninstalled and reinstalled Flash8 but with no joy.

Anyone help?

Debbit

Apr 19, 2006, 1:36:09 PM4/19/06
Having same problem for days now. Any help appreciated.

Get an event id 1000 with IE 6 saying flash8b.ocx is the culprit. I also have reinstalled. Help. :Q

Phil Stubbs

Apr 20, 2006, 8:20:08 PM4/20/06
That problem has been driving me nuts for a week. I had to do 2 system
restores to get flash working in IE6. Does anyone know what files I should back
up to replace Flash8b.ocx so I don't have to go back and do a system restore
again?

This is a real pain since I'm currently developing a totally flash based
website & with no flash in IE6 it's kinda hard to tell how it's working.

JoshKil

Apr 21, 2006, 9:22:25 AM4/21/06
:confused; Am just curious, when IE "crashes" what O/S are you running? what Service Pack do you have? and action are you performing for it to crash?

Debbit

Apr 21, 2006, 9:46:35 AM4/21/06
:| Just happened 3 times!! I am running W2K SP4. It crashing during
regular surfing. At first I thought it was something to do with java applets,
but it happens other times, too. It does seem to happen during games a
lot.....go figure.

Thanks for any help.

Phil Stubbs

Apr 21, 2006, 1:55:11 PM4/21/06
XP Home, SP2. It happens when I try and do anything interactive in Flash; like if I were to click a button on a flash menu I'd get the error message and IE6 would close all open IE windows.

red1hols

Apr 22, 2006, 3:25:30 PM4/22/06
It's good to know that I am not alone!

It doesn't actually fix the problem, but at least I know that there are others
out there who are suffering as much as I.

I did wonder if this had something to do with Security Products blocking
something vital. I use Norton Internet Security - is this a common theme or can
it be eliminated.

Debbit

Apr 22, 2006, 4:03:46 PM4/22/06
I am not using Norton (or any other virus software, ssshhh, don't tell
anyone:o) at this time. I just had to reinstall my OS and I can't get this
thing running smoothly enough to introduce anything else that might cause
conflict! I'm pretty convinced my problem is between IE6 and Flash Player 8.
Personally, I'm so frustrated right now I'd do without both if I could.

red1hols

Apr 22, 2006, 4:19:44 PM4/22/06
You might find it better if you switch off the Flash Player Add-on.

Under 'Tools' on your IE Options, click ' Manage Add-ons...'

A box will come up with all the different Add ons you have loaded in IE. Near
the bottom, you will see 'Shockwave Flash Object'.

Click on the name to highlight it, then check the 'Disable' button down at the
bottom left. Click 'OK'

Then you will be able to see if IE is working without Flash. Mine works fine
without it. It's just that some of my favourite sites use it :(

violetmoyo

Apr 22, 2006, 6:33:34 PM4/22/06
Hi there, i am so happy to see that im not the only one suffering with this
whole change in the i e browser etc, quite frankly i am
a bit like debbit,

i cannot display any flash from any sites, the worst thing for me is i am
building a website which mostly uses flash and yes life was so much easier
before the new changes, i am of course a dummy with computers but i can grasp
most of the basics, if any one could help me too i would appreciate it, my main
problem is even when i roll the mouse over the flash content it highlights but
theres just an empty box with nothing, i have installed uninstalled
re-installed flash but no joy , and im not eager to take chances downloading
any patches and things that i dont know about.

please help im about to shoot my computer........:(

MISCAN

Apr 22, 2006, 10:53:57 PM4/22/06
WTF....

Still no resolution????

red1hols

Apr 23, 2006, 4:49:10 AM4/23/06
I have captured the Error Reporting File that is sent to Microsoft for the
problem.

Would it help anyone?

The highlevel issue is reported as :-

AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: flash8b.ocx
ModVer: 8.0.24.0 Offset: 0006a30e

I think the business end of the Flash issue is reported as :-

<EXE NAME="Flash8b.ocx" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_THISFILEONLY">
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="Flash8b.ocx" SIZE="1443464" CHECKSUM="0x2674D0A0"
BIN_FILE_VERSION="8.0.24.0" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="8.0.24.0"
PRODUCT_VERSION="8,0,24,0" FILE_DESCRIPTION="Macromedia Flash Player 8.0 r24"
COMPANY_NAME="Macromedia, Inc." PRODUCT_NAME="Shockwave Flash"
FILE_VERSION="8,0,24,0" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="Flash.ocx" INTERNAL_NAME="Macromedia
Flash Player 8.0" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="Copyright ? 1996-2005 Macromedia, Inc."
VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x4" VERFILETYPE="0x2"
MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x169C55" LINKER_VERSION="0x0"
UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="8.0.24.0" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="8.0.24.0"
LINK_DATE="03/31/2006 19:24:46" UPTO_LINK_DATE="03/31/2006 19:24:46"
VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) " />
</EXE>
<EXE NAME="kernel32.dll" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_THISFILEONLY">
<MATCHING_FILE NAME="kernel32.dll" SIZE="983552" CHECKSUM="0x4CE79457"
BIN_FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.2180" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.2180"
PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.2180" FILE_DESCRIPTION="Windows NT BASE API Client
DLL" COMPANY_NAME="Microsoft Corporation" PRODUCT_NAME="Microsoft? Windows?
Operating System" FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
ORIGINAL_FILENAME="kernel32" INTERNAL_NAME="kernel32" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="?
Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved." VERFILEDATEHI="0x0"
VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x40004" VERFILETYPE="0x2" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32"
PE_CHECKSUM="0xFF848" LINKER_VERSION="0x50001"
UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="5.1.2600.2180" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="5.1.2600.2180"
LINK_DATE="08/04/2004 07:56:36" UPTO_LINK_DATE="08/04/2004 07:56:36"
VER_LANGUAGE="English (United States) " />

Does this help? If so, I do have the full file.

Simon.

violetmoyo

Apr 24, 2006, 2:07:19 AM4/24/06
honestly like i said i am truely a dummy! i have noooo clue what that is...
seriously im in tears nothing is helping me i thin somethings wrong with my
computer i cant figure ouit what, no flash content is visible in interner
explorer.......:(

red1hols

Apr 24, 2006, 10:02:36 AM4/24/06
Just a thought.

Has anyone tried officially logging this problem with the Flash Player Support
Team (http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=player_support?

If not, I will be more than happy to do so.

Simon.

Bentley Wolfe [Adobe]

Apr 24, 2006, 1:33:04 PM4/24/06
red1hols wrote:

No security setup should cause a crash. Clean your system as much as
possible and if necessary open a support case via
http://www.macromedia.com/support/flashplayer.

Bentley Wolfe
Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player
*Macromedia, now a division of Adobe Systems

gkahn

Apr 24, 2006, 2:11:58 PM4/24/06
I am having similar crash issues. I have two XP Pro machines here with the
same version on IE (6.0.2900.2180.xpsp-sp2-gdr.050301-1519) and different
versions of Flash (8.0.22 and 8.0.24). Only the 8.0.24 version crashes. It
crashes every time I reach the end of a Flash video. I have opened a ticket
(#8543530). Hopefully we will hear something back soon.

violetmoyo

Apr 24, 2006, 6:10:36 PM4/24/06

When cleaning my computer can i use any registry cleaner or is there a particular one i should use, Does this usually work, cause i thought most of the registry cleaners are a hoax

red1hols

Apr 25, 2006, 11:24:41 AM4/25/06
I have reported the problem on the page you suggested. Problem record number
8543494 is assigned.

I'm afraid the reporting web page doesn't allow the attachment of files, so I
guess I'll have to wait to be contacted before I can send the error file.

I did think it a little strange that there didn't seem to be a title option in
the drop down box for Flash Player Issues - so I chose the query option. It
won't make any difference will it?

Simon.

violetmoyo

Apr 26, 2006, 2:32:07 PM4/26/06
hi again, if anyone could advise me on the question i asked it would be most
appreciated, i have totally lost faith in weather i will be able to fix this
problem with viewing my flash, all i ask is

When cleaning my computer can i use any registry cleaner or is there a
particular one i should use, Does this usually work, cause i thought most of

the registry cleaners are not so good

thanks
:)

B.Demirkan - Netpia

Apr 28, 2006, 2:26:09 AM4/28/06

I have same problem in my company, and Ou?r web site include flash animations
and menus, couse of this we wonder that our customers can not visit our page
correctly which have 8.0.24 version. Pls hurry up dudes, please release fixed
version of flash player. or what should it be done

B.Demirkan - Netpia

Apr 28, 2006, 2:37:57 AM4/28/06
I notice something about this error,

if you using maximized IE windows your IE is crashing but If you using smaller
IE screen you can viti flash included sites without a crash.

It's realy annoying and interesting problem,

(note sorry about double post)

Zeqopaa

Apr 28, 2006, 10:43:04 AM4/28/06
Nice to see many people suffer from same problem, but apparently even
Macromedia/Adobe cannot solve this problem. How can this be? ONLY 1
reaction from them!!!!!!!!!
No effort to solve customer satisfaction to their products. Anyway,
Please someone report a solution to this.. Driving many mad, very mad
... :S

Praise thee who comes up with a solution...

Zeqopaa

RyanK21

Apr 29, 2006, 5:56:02 AM4/29/06
I ut it doesbelieve flash player 8.0.24 has a MAJOR bug in it in relation to
IE6. To all those having this problem of no website fash content playing, try
visiting the same site in Firefox. I'll bet you that the flash content plays in
Firefox. I don't know why but it plays. I believe there is some security
conflict between Flash Player 8.0.24 and Internet Explorer 6.

RyanK21

Apr 29, 2006, 5:58:50 AM4/29/06
I believe flash player 8.0.24 has a MAJOR bug in it in relation to IE6. To all

RyanK21

Apr 29, 2006, 5:59:12 AM4/29/06

Zeqopaa

May 1, 2006, 3:53:30 AM5/1/06
Yes, I know this about firefox, but it should work in all
browsers.Although firefox crashes sometimes too. Does anyone know if it
makes a difference if you publish flash when firefox is set as default
browser? Wierd with my probelm is that my site consists of one movie,
in which 2 movies are loaded. the other one causes no problems but the
other one does.
And even if I publish in earlier flash players... I still cannot view
them in the browser as it wants to install the player
8....anyway...anyone???

Zeqopaa

red1hols

May 3, 2006, 2:31:29 AM5/3/06
Just a quick update on the Problem Record (8543494).

Whatever is causing this must be pretty major or difficult to track down.

Last Friday (29/04) I received a pretty standard looking email from the
support people asking if the problem had gone away - it hasn't. They then asked
me to follow through what looked like a list of diagnostics :-

1. Try using another browser to test if it's a browser issue. Flash and
Shockwave player are also supported on Netscape and Mozilla so these are good
browsers for testing purposes. Test out any rich content site on these browsers
and see if you get the same errors. If no, then it's an IE issue and you'll
need to repair/reinstall the program. If the same problems come up even on
other browsers, then it's a system issue.

2. For system issues, it can be any of the following:
a. Conflict with other software- there might be other applications that use
the same sound channel (for audio) and video card resources.
b. Outdated or corrupt device drivers- Old sound and video drivers may not
support the Flash player, so it is recommended that you update your device
drivers. These are usually available from your device manufacturer's websites.
c. Hardware acceleration is a setting for the video card driver which allows
it to interact with some of your system's resources in rendering the screen
display. By default, hardware acceleration is set to 'Full'. Turning down this
default setting (one step at a time) often resolves display problems and audio
issues. The steps for changing this setting are:
i. Right-click in a blank area of the Desktop.
ii. The location of the hardware acceleration control may differ for your
video card driver.
In Windows XP and 2000, choose Properties > Settings tab > Advanced button >
Troubleshoot.
Turn your hardware acceleration down one level and then test your browser with
Flash movies.

I had already tried most of these actions without any joy. I hadn't tried the
hardware acceleration. So I tried it and found it didn't help.

I've replied to support to tell them the results of the diagnostics and that
the problem remains.

I'm hoping for some inspired problem resolution from them soon.

Simon.

Donno

May 3, 2006, 1:12:39 PM5/3/06
I had a similar experience to yours. I installed Firefox (I use WIn98 and IE6
normally) and found that Flash installed ok! I guess this means I need to
uninstall IE and reinstall (I got the same email you did). I am not looking
forward to this because I don't think you can uninstall IE without uninstalling
Windows. I only have recovery disks for my pc - not the full Win install. So
I would lose all my s/w. Anyway, saw a lot of similarities so thought I would
post. Good luck.

Debbit

May 4, 2006, 9:52:34 AM5/4/06
Actually, you can uninstall IE without reinstalling windows---theoretically
anyway. I considered doing this also and I looked up the instructions on
microsoft.com. Just go there and search for uninstall IE6. You can't have
deleted the uninstall file (which is done by a lot of those disk cleaner
programs) and if you have installed any service packs for windows you have some
more problems. All the scoop is there.

Personally, I have no uninstall file---for whatever reason. I do most of my
work using internet connection so I couldn't mess around with this forever. I
finally just dumped the whole computer at a tech/repair shop I know and trust.
He said he'd either fix the problem or at least pinpoint what it is for me and
I'll go from there. I really hope it isn't flash/ie6 conflict because how do
you function without both of those? :confused;

Debbit

May 4, 2006, 10:00:03 AM5/4/06
Simon,

I had tried most of those suggestions also...no luck. It malfunctions with
firefox, also. I have a hard time believing it's hardware, though, since I had
no problems until I updated to flash 8. I updated drivers and anything else
that looked promising. I didn't try the accelerator issue, but that seems
unlikely, also, since all was well before. *sigh*

Debbi

Donno

May 4, 2006, 10:09:42 AM5/4/06
Since Flash 8 worked with Firefox, the Adobe suggestion was to uninstall IE6
and reinstall. I went back to IE5, and reinstalled to IE6 SP1 from Microsoft's
site and I have the same crashing behavior. I believe others have done the
same thing and had the same results. The pain continues... Thanks heavens the
Flash uninstaller works. It looks pretty grim that this will ever be resolved.

red1hols

May 4, 2006, 10:44:23 AM5/4/06
Hi Debbi,

I have started to wonder if this had anything to do with DirectX.

I've got nothing other than a hunch though. I found that I have a very back
level of DirectX on my system (I think because my son loaded a game on the
system). When I try to upgrade DirectX using the Microsoft download web site,
the upgrade fails with strange error messages.

I'm continuing to investigate, but it would be helpful if someone could let me
know if Flash Player and DirectX have any sort of interaction.

Simon.

Debbit

May 5, 2006, 8:07:11 AM5/5/06
ooooh! A LEAD! I upgraded to DX 9 and I don't remember any failures....but I
can't check and make sure that's what was installed because I don't have the
machine back yet. Hopefully today. Anyone else have back versions of Direct X
with this problem?

mrgbat63

May 5, 2006, 11:33:36 AM5/5/06
Well I've done all their fixes according to adobes flash player tech note dated
04/06/06 and flash still not working for restricted users-it works under admin.
account but on some web pages I am now getting script errors. I have several
people using this computer and its a shame that they can't see their favorite
web sites unless they log in under my admin. account (NOT GOOD). Their fix does
nothing. They should scrap the whole 8.0.24 flash until they can figure out
this problem.

red1hols

May 9, 2006, 2:24:20 PM5/9/06
I've not had any further updates from the support team.

In order to try and move things forward, I tried the Flash Player 9 Beta.

Sadly, the fault is the same.

Simon.

red1hols

May 14, 2006, 4:53:40 AM5/14/06
The support people have come back to me.

It looks like I'm going to spend today following this latest advice.

If the same problems come up in other browser, it's like a system issue. A
couple of programs running in memory may be in conflict with the Flash player.

To confirm this, create a new user account and give it Administrator access to
the machine. Restart Windows and login using the new user profile. Install and
test the Flash player to both IE and Mozilla. A new user profile won't have the
startup programs that may be loading when you start your machine. If the new
profile installs and loads Flash successfully, then check your old user profile
for programs that may be causing a conflict.

A list of currently running applications can be viewed by accessing the Task
Manager or Close Program dialog box in Normal Mode. The following steps can be
a bit tedious and repetitive, but it should isolate any software conflicts.
1. Restart the computer to re-enable all programs.
2. Disable one program non-system program and then test the player 3. Repeat
this procedure until the conflict is isolated

Disable popup blockers, ad aware software and other net-related programs as
these are the most common culprits.

Hope this helps.

Simon.

MSnerd

May 28, 2006, 11:00:09 AM5/28/06
I am having the same problem described in this thread. It started when I tried
to remove QuickTime. The reason I wanted to remove QuickTime is because it kept
putting itself into my Systray. Actually I had removed it once before but
wouldn't you know, it somehow managed to sneak itself back onto my machine.
There is no unistall for this anywhere in the Control Panel, what have you, so
you have to actually go in and edit registry settings. Although I was
successful before, I guess this time I messed up somehow. Now what happens is
that every time I go to a site needing the Flash plug-in, Internet Explorer
crashes. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing Flash, QuickTime (the
latest Apple version (which is a pig that comes with iTunes which I neither
need nor want) and none of this has done any good. I have finally given up and
installed Firefox. The first time I go to sites which used to crash IE (for
example, Amazon.com) Firefox lets me know that I need to install aplug-in to
view the site properly. That plug-in would be Flash, right. Do you think I am
going to install it? Nooooooo. Never again. Having one piece of software
totally screwed up in an irreperable way is enough.

Adobe, you have a real mess here on your hands and you had better do something
about it. And no, Adobe, I am not going to take any flack for going into the
registry. This is something I was forced to do because QuickTime did not
provide an unistall. I still do not know how this little POS kept ending up on
my computer but I would not be at all surprised to find out that the Flash
plug-in is the culprit and that it is re-installing QuickTime in stealth mode.
I believe that this is referred to as malware. At least, that is how I am
considering. Bottom line, stay away from Macromedia Flash. It is
malware.:disgust;

Adam Butler

May 28, 2006, 5:24:57 PM5/28/06
<b>************SOLUTION*************</b>
<b>************SOLUTION*************</b>
<b>************SOLUTION*************</b>
<b>************SOLUTION*************</b>#

Heya I FINALY figured it out.

those viewing pages sorry nothing can be done about this. but website/flash
developers i have a solution. the problem occours when you have audio set to
streaming in a movie clip with other layers. If you put the audio streaming
inside a movie clip within that movie clip you get no problems:D

scene - movie clip with layers - movie clip with sound layer ONLY

Jennifer Honkala

May 31, 2006, 2:51:37 PM5/31/06
Workaround:
If you use the Flash Player uninstall feature on the site it seems to miss the
one file causing the errors (flash8b.ocx). Search for and delete that file and
try installing an older version of Flash from the site (I used version 7 of
Flashplayer - flashplayer7_winax.exe) and now my files are working again.
Not a fix - but an improvement from having IE crash constantly!

jwalias

Jun 2, 2006, 9:58:46 PM6/2/06
Ok! Yurickah! Listen:

If you are running Flash 8, then you should not be having any problems with
the latest Flash Player installed.

However, if your script is done in Flash 6...''and you are trying a video file
or a gif in the form of a video embedment...you 'will' get this error!'' This
is why, if you install an 'earlier' version of Flash Player...things seem to
work!

I have personally ran scripts upgraded to Flash 8 with no problems of the
flash8b.ocx file error in IE. But I have a script done in Flash 6, where I had
no prior problems...."until I try to add a gif file in the form of importing it
as a vide file for animation: "THAT'S WHEN I GET THIS ERROR!" I simply removed
the gif...and the error does not happen (with the Flash 6 script).

I know that many of you know that you cannot play videos with Flash 6, so you
are probably trying to imbed animations by imbeding files as 'video form.'

You cannot assume that many of the new templates, etc. are done in Flash 8 ALL
the time, because many of them are actually in Flash 6, and when you try to
upgrade it into Flash 8 the components won't work, etc.

This is my submission as a solution to this error, and I really think that I
am correct in this aspect. :D

nick mc

Jul 4, 2006, 4:23:16 PM7/4/06
My solution (for developers):

I fixed this problem in a commercial flash game I developed when I tracked the
cause down to 4 wav sound effects I was using.

I noticed that the game didn't crash if I commented out the sound in the
actionscript. I removed the sounds from the library one at a time and
eventually found 4 of the total 8 that must have been corrupt, or used a faulty
codec, because even when published with mp3 coding in the swf, the game would
crash.

I replaced them with 4 new sound effects from a totally different source and
now the game is rock solid.

I don't think there is any one single cause of these ocx errors, although all
the reported solutions I have read about involve sound or video in the flash
movie triggering it in some way. It affects some computers a lot more than
others too.

Nick

lilwarID

Jul 4, 2006, 7:10:52 PM7/4/06
how do i run the disk utility to repair permissions. i think i hav the same
problem as you all iv been restarting and deleting and renstaling but nothing
seems to workt. he only thing i havent don is this repair prmission thing can
someone type some instuctions on how or lead me where to go

SJesMe

Aug 17, 2006, 1:14:23 PM8/17/06
***A GOOD FIX***
I was fighting with this problem for months and finally found a good fix. This is what I did:
1. Use the uninstaller at Adobe's Web site following the instructions given here: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14157
2. Empty temporary files and internet cache and restart.
3. Download the latest FlashPlayer version 9 from Adobe's web site here: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

At this point check and be sure that you have a file named "Flash.ocx" in both your Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 and Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash folders, as well as the "Flash9.ocx" in the Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash folder. If you do, you have a good install.

4. Download Flash8.ocx from www.rrdownloads.net/Flash.zip
5. Unzip the active x file into your Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash folder
6. In the same Windows folder, rename "Flash9.ocx" to Flash-9.ocx (or anything else)
7. Then rename the Flash8.ocx (from the downloaded zip file) to Flash9.ocx

Restart et voila ... no more crash errors.

Caution: This fix has worked for me on a WinXP Pro and WinXP Home O/S, running IE6. I cannot vouch for any others. I hope it works for you!

From http://www.developmentnow.com/g/82_2006_4_0_0_738369/Flash8b-ocx-problems-with-IE.htm

Posted via DevelopmentNow.com Groups
http://www.developmentnow.com