Flash Player Installation issue - Error 1904

_jasonWylie

Apr 15, 2005, 3:17:29 PM4/15/05
Macromedia has recently become aware of a problem some users are having with
Flash Player 7 ActiveX control failing to run in Internet Explorer for Windows.
These users see only a static ?no image? icon instead of Flash content.
Uninstalling and reinstalling Flash present no problem, but after reinstalling
all of the necessary files are in the correct places, but Flash content
continues to not display in Internet Explorer. In many of these cases,
Macromedia Support has asked users to attempt to manually register the
flash.ocx ActiveX control file. This usually results in a ?failed to register?
error, which we refer to as the ?1904 error?. IF you can use the following
steps to reproduce the 1904 error message, please fill out our survey at the
end of this post
------------------------------ First, run the Flash Player uninstaller for
Windows from http://www.macromedia.com/go/tn_14157 Next do EXACTLY THIS: 1.
Make sure you have ADMIN privileges to the machine 2. Search your machine for
the file 'flash.ocx' 3. copy or write down the full path to this file. It
-should- be C:/Windows/System32/Macromed/Flash/Flash.ocx If the file is NOT
in that folder, copy it into that folder. Make sure there are NO other .ocx
files in that folder. If there is an 'swflash.ocx' delete it. 4. Choose Start>
Run 5. In the run dialog, type or paste exactly this line. : RegSvr32
C:/Windows/System32/Macromed/Flash/Flash.ocx IF YOU RECEVIEVE THIS ERROR YOU
ARE A CANDIDATE TO HELP US: Dll RegisterServer in
C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash.ocx failed. Return code was :
Ox80020009 IF YOU RECEIVE AN ERROR RUNNING THE MSI VERSION OF THE FLASH
INSTALLER YOU ARE ALSO A CANDIDATE. If you run the msi installer and receive
this error you can help us: c:\windows\system32\macromed\Flash\Flash.ocx
failed to reg. HRESULT ? 2147352567
------------------------------ If you are able to replicate the issue Please
fill out the survey here. http://surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=479991001057 ---
Regards, Jason Wylie Senior Support Engineer Macromedia Technical Support
Flash Player, Flash, Central -- Please limit replies to newsgroup only, for
the benefit of the community --

sallieeee

Aug 26, 2005, 2:57:55 PM8/26/05
Thanks for the advice. I sent in my survey. Flash player still does not work. What do the little symbols in the corner mean?

hardhead22

Sep 3, 2005, 5:02:13 PM9/3/05
:confused; filled out your survey and hit the done link and was sent to
surveymonkey.com. don't know if you got it or not. would of been nice to know
if it went through or not. o well maybe thats whats wrong with flashplayer.

smikles

Sep 12, 2005, 10:32:48 AM9/12/05
This happened to me after I installed a program from HP to get some of their
software to install. I downloaded and installed the Access Denied Utility for
the hp psc series printer.
Flash worked up until the time I installed this program. The reason I know
this is I was using a flash website and the second it installed the utility it
quit. So I did a system restore and it started working again. but after
installing the utility progaram it quit again.
Now my problem is I tried to install the flash to many times and the system
restore won't go back to a time before I installed the program.

christopherc_56277

Feb 7, 2006, 8:11:46 PM2/7/06
I also have been having this same issue with Flash Player 8. I have tried just
about everything. I've removed, rebooted, reinstalled. Still the same error.
I can allow developers remote access into my PC to further investigate the
issue. It is easily reproducible.

~Christopher
christoph...@hotmail.com

Bentley Wolfe -ADOBE

Feb 10, 2006, 10:43:37 AM2/10/06
My name is Bentley Wolfe. I'm a senior Technical Support Engineer here at
Macromedia (now a division of Adobe Systems), and the Flash and Flash Player
support lead (as of like, last week...)

I've been working with the former Flash Player team lead and the Flash Player
engineering team on the '1904 problem' for a year and a half. It's occured on
quite a number of user machines. We suspect that cause is something being reset
by spyware/malware/viruses.

Unfortunately up to this point we have been unable to determine exactly what
is causing this problem or how to fix it, and it's a frustrating situation. For
a number of reasons we were never able to reproduce this in house on any of our
machines, and we hadn't been able to identify what keys or permissions were
causing the problem (primarily because we couldn't get anyone to send us a
machine.....)

As of 2/9 we have a machine coming in from Canada for Engineering to debug.
But then this morning I see this thread which I missed before.. I have a list
of customers who've opened Flash Player support incidents with the '1904
error'. I'll have a few of them try this and see what happens. Then between the
results of that test and Engineering's examination of the graciously loaned PC
we'll be able to post back and to hopefully write a technote putting this issue
to sleep once and for all.

I'm replying today because I found a somewhat buried thread in the FlashPaper
forum in which someone claims to have found 4 incorrect permissions, which when
reset resolve the 1904 problem. I'm hoping I can get several people to try it
and report back to this thread:

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=400&thre
adid=1074882&enterthread=y

Thanks for your patience.
(no private mail please. Reply to the thread...)

Regards,
Bentley Wolfe
Technical Support Engineer, Flash & Flash Player
*Macromedia, now a division of Adobe Systems

Bentley Wolfe -ADOBE

Feb 23, 2006, 10:04:08 AM2/23/06
TEST POTENTIAL FIX for 1904 Flash Player install issue:

If you have the 1904 error, please test these steps to see if they allow you
to then install Flash Player 8.

You will need to be comfortable editing the registry with regedit. If you are
_NOT_ comfortable editing the registry then it's probably best to just wait
until we confirm a solution and publish a technote, or to take your machine to
a professional.

STEPS:
In the registry find the following keys (if they exist). Then right click and
grant read/full control to Administrator.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.1
(There is NO ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.2)
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.7
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.8

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.spl
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.swf
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mfp
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sol
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sor

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}\InprocServer32
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/x-shockwave-flash
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/futuresplash

Bentley Wolfe
Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player

Tazeus

Mar 2, 2006, 8:01:19 PM3/2/06
I am have the same problem of not being able to install Flash Player 8

These regestry keys are corrupt and will not let me open them to check the
permissions:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.1
(There is NO ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.2)
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.7
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.8

Cannot open or delete them.

NotGod

Mar 22, 2006, 12:50:22 AM3/22/06
I am in the middle of a very similar experience. When I checked the
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlashn registry entries I initially couldn't access
them. When I persisted I did manage to right click and get the properties.
This showed me that my daughter was the owner of those registry entries. When
I logged in as her I was able to run the installation / registration. This
seemed to have eliminated both the ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlashn and
FlashFactory.n registry entries.

However, the registration is still failing for me (under her account) with
0x80070005 (-2147220473 if I run the installer and ask for a repair).

It still isn't working for me.

Dataman72

Mar 22, 2006, 9:30:54 AM3/22/06
Jason, I receive error 0x80070005 when I perform your "test." I cannot get
flash to run at all, not even an older version after I had performed the update
to version 8. I also tried all the registry edits with no satisfaction either.
This is a mess because I cannot even access my company website now at
integrityvalidations.com. I tried other computers to access it and as long as
they don't have the update the site is fine, but I'm wondering about all the
clients that cannot see it now... I'm running xp pro, xp office, internet
explorer 6.0.2900.2180

Dataman72

Mar 22, 2006, 9:30:57 AM3/22/06

gimbleLock

Mar 22, 2006, 12:19:33 PM3/22/06
Jason, I receive error 0x80070005 when I perform the test.
I still can't get flash to run at all...
I tried the registry edits with no results...

i'm on xp sp2, IE 6.0.2900.2180
-when i perform the test i have a "0x80070005 error"
-when i run the .msi flash activeX installer i have the
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash8.ocx failed to register. HRESULT
-2147220473. "
-impossible to install an older version..

i'll keep an eye on this forum

Bill 21784

Mar 22, 2006, 1:51:24 PM3/22/06
I have tried changing the permissions on all of the keys in the registry and still can not get Flash 8 installed.

Dataman72

Mar 24, 2006, 4:58:21 PM3/24/06
Jason, just a quick note, after doing all the registry edits etc, reinstalling
etc and not able to get any version of Flash to work, I noticed one item is
missing. All the files are correctly in the System32/macromed/flash folder,
but in the Windows/installed program files the ocx plug-in is missing. Is
there anyway to put that in there manually?

Laurie314

Mar 24, 2006, 5:44:58 PM3/24/06
Hello
For the average computer user , what you are describing is "greek"
How do you get into the registry?
I looked on all the forums, help pages and everything else I could find to fix
this problem.
I cannot use flashplayer or shockwave!
Could you please give me somekind of idea what I can do to solve this problem.
The date is 3-24-2006 I hope to get a reply soon
Thankyou
Laurie

hannimos

Mar 24, 2006, 6:15:52 PM3/24/06
Any trouble with completely removing ANY MSI/Windows installer packge must have tool:
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Not for the Average Joe......

Scott

viroscope

Mar 28, 2006, 6:06:27 PM3/28/06
With installing Macromedia FlashPaper
Error 1904.Module
C:\WINNT\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash.ocx failed
to register. HRESULT -2147220473. Contact your support personnel.

When attempting to register manually

DllRegisterServer in c:\winnt\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash.ocx failed.
Return code was: 0x8002801c

sunviper666

Mar 29, 2006, 4:07:49 AM3/29/06
I tried that tool.
It seems I got the .22 version stuck and cant be uninstalled using the
Microsoft tool.
However the system states that .24 is installed fine.. but only works in
Firefox and Netscape.
Another day of Macromedia Adobe failing to solve the problems they've caused.

I'm really close to publish something in the Swedish Computer Press about this.

There must be some higher and with more knowledge than Mr Bentley ?
Looking at all the answers and tricks and tips He's offering everyone seems
just like repeating over and over again.
No new clues what so ever. And still this have been known since way back.
The . 24 update is the cause of most problems since its setting permissions in
the registry that it shouldnt.

Stop playing around and solve this mess you created.

arianrp

Mar 29, 2006, 10:20:31 AM3/29/06
Hi Jason and Bentley Wolfe,
My name is Arian Pasquali and my company is a Macromedia Partner.
We're Flex2 beta testers and we starded develop products with this technology.
I really hope the 1904 error will be solved when you release the final version
of flash player 8.5 .

I had use Flash ActiveX on a very important and critical product of our
company.
Unfortunately I had been seeing sometimes the 1904 error message on my clients
machines. This has been the reason of my headache on the last months.

waiting for solutions...

Arian R Pasquali
Senior Programmer, Flash / Flex / Java / Progress Software
arian.p...@datasul.com.br
Datasul - http://www.datasul.com.br

Random6745

Apr 4, 2006, 11:14:32 PM4/4/06
:D

I found that I could not access the ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.8 registry
key. Other keys either did not exist or had full administrator permissions.
Changed to other user (the owner) and added adminstrator privilege. Ran
standalone install and selected repair. Installed and works.

whisperinrod56

Apr 17, 2006, 6:07:46 PM4/17/06
Hi all, my name is R. Parshall. First off, I am no pc whiz. I have had pcs for
about 8 years. I have had the Flash Player Error 1904.Module for about a month.
I tried my best to get flash player to play at certain sites for my
granddaughter. One such site was DisneyOnline. The first thing it told her when
going to the site was that I needed a newer version of Flash Player. I follow
the instructions and return to page I was on, and get same message, Well, to
make a long story short, I tried uninstalling from control panel to no avail.
Today I went to Macromedia and found a Flash Player uninstaller there. I
uninstall and then installed. And now it works. No more error messages. If
anyone would like to see the error I got, please email me and I will send a
copy of it. Hope this helps out.-Rod

MerkaDilly

Apr 19, 2006, 11:50:38 AM4/19/06
:)
Hello, Jason

I recently had this problem installing the flash player version 8 on Windows
XP pro. I managed to solve my problem and got it installed. Here is what I
found:

I run several "protection" type products on my PC including Norton System
Works 2005, Zone Alarm Pro, Spybot S&D (memory resident), Pest Patrol, and
WinPatrol Plus. It seems that several of these products have modified the
security settings on various sections of the registry in an effort to protect
the OS from installing malicious software. This seems to be the root of my
problem. (I'm logged on to the OS as Administrator).

I found the msi install for flash version 8 on the web site and saved it to
disc. I also downloaded and saved the uninstall for the flash player. I ran the
uninstall and then the msi install and received an error saying that
Flash8b.ocx could not be registered. I exited the install and started Regmon so
that I could see the error(s) during registration. I ran the registration by
itself and found several "ACCESS DENIED" errors on a single registry key
(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D27CDB70-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}). I made note
of the permissions and then changed permissions (temporarily) to "Everyone -
all access". I ran the install once again and it ran with no errors. I then
changed the registry permissions back to where they were and everything works
fine.

I also noticed several references to Flash8a.ocx in the registry and changed
all of them to Flash8b.ocx due the fact that the 8a version was no loner
present on my PC.

One last note is the fact that I used a different path the register the ocx
file. RegSvr32 C:/WINNT/System32/Macromed/Flash/Flash8b.ocx

I hope this information is useful.

scrandal

May 1, 2006, 1:20:45 AM5/1/06
Here is how I solved the problem with Flash not working for me. I'm using XP
Home with two user profiles. I found that one user profile was able to display
Flash content while the other was not able to display nor install the Flash
plug-in. It appears that when Flash was installed on the computer the only
"permissions" it installed in the windows registry entires were for the initial
user who installed the plugin. I found that I needed to login to windows as
the user (profile) who was able to view Flash content. I then ran "Regedit"
and searched for the following Keys and added my user (profile) to the
"permissions" list for the registry key. In order to do this you will first
have to discover which user can view Flash content...and hopefully that user
will have Administrator access to the computer. Here are the registry entries
I modified by adding my user to the permissions list:

FlashFactory.FlashFactory
FlashFactory.FlashFactory.1
FlashProp.FlashProp
FlashProp.FlashProp.1
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.1

ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.7
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.8

You configuration may be slightly different. I found the utility of
"regmon.exe" (www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Regmon.html ) very helpful in
finding exactly which registry keys to modify. If you use regmon, simply put
in a "search filter" for "Access Denied" and then try to install flash or
access a website with flash content. The results screen in Regmon will show
you exactly which registry keys need to be modified by adding your user to the
permissions list. Hope this helps solve the problem for others.

Snig.Com

May 13, 2006, 6:20:37 PM5/13/06
I have the problem and spent a few hours trying ot fix it. You must "uninstall
Flash" , delete the %systemroot%\system32\macromed\flash folder, and delete the
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash . I had to uninstall both
Spybot S&D and Webroot Spy Sweeper to allow this. Of note: I could not delete
%systemroot%\system32\macromed\flash\Flash8b.ocx in safe mode nor would
HiJackThis delete it on reboot. I was able to reboot after uninstalling the two
aforementioned programs.

Rebooted, installed flash, and have reinstalled Spybot S&D and Webroot
SpySweeper and I am now getting a virtual card number through CitiBank!

tails2343

May 30, 2006, 9:00:06 PM5/30/06
I am getting the 1904 error when attemping to instal and this error when
running RegSvr32 C:/Windows/System32/Macromed/Flash/Flash.ocx:

Dll RegisterServer in C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash.ocx failed.
Return code was : Ox80020009

It worked fine previously and then didn't. Come on adobe/macromedia. A lot of
people are having trouble with a product of yours and you have yet to give us a
solution

faithbest

Jun 7, 2006, 1:31:54 AM6/7/06
:confused; I was sent the instructions you have listed in your Post by your
Product Support member Jervis:
Although I am still unable to load Flash Player 8, I'd like to take this
opportunite to thank you for the time already spent in helping me troubleshoot
problems with my Madromedia Flash Player. I have tried the suggestions you
sent to me last. I edited the premissions on all the files I found on my
computer. I did not find a lot of them. I had problems with the key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MacromediaFlashPaper.MacromediaFlashPaper:
I received the following three error messages
first error message :CANNOT OPEN MacromediaFlashPaper.
So I press ok and upcomes the next error message:
MacromediaFlashPaper.MacromediaFlashPaper, but you can make permission changes.
Again I press ok and up comes
Unable to save permssion changes on MacromediaFlashPaper.MacromediaFlashPaper.
Access is denied.
I am still unable to load Flashplayer and am extremely frustrated. Please
help me!!
Why can;t we just load a downgrade version and be able to access the content
we need. We have tried this and it also does not work!!

PColaGuy

Jun 15, 2006, 9:53:21 AM6/15/06
I was having these same problems, and I found a solution that worked for me. I
don't know WHY it worked, but it did. Here goes:

I tried installing both via the browser and the downloadable
installer...neither worked for me. So, I rebooted into safe mode, and tried
installing both via the browser and the downloadable installer. Again, neither
worked. The downloader installer wouldn't work because apparently the windows
installer is not accessible from safe mode...love that security.

So, I downloaded the Flash Player 7 Archive from this page
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14266. Then I
extracted it and installed flashplayer7r61_winax.exe from the r61 folder, which
installed perfectly, even while I was in safe mode! I reboot my machine and
tested...viola! Flash was now working again! Here is the REALLY strange part,
though. When I visit http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/, it
reports that I have Flash Player 8,0,24,0 installed.

I hope this crazy, convoluted solution works for the rest of you. Good luck.

leograper

Jun 16, 2006, 5:24:07 AM6/16/06
I came upon this thread and found the bug (in my case) so i like to share my $
0,02:
Trying to find the Flash.Ocx only returned 1 in my C:\I386 folder, this is
strange, because when i went to the mentioned directory the file was there!
I looked up the rights on the file, and there appeared to be an
Unknown/Invalid (can't recall the exact word) account linked to the file, when
i got rid of that it registered nicely.
Some of you might want to look up this!

Regards,
Leo.

Dr. Ness

Jun 26, 2006, 4:03:23 AM6/26/06
Everyone,

I have a solution, but it's pain.
THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT THIS WILL WORK FOR YOU!

The main idea is to delete a user from the permission list that shows
up with a question mark on the user icon and a long name like
"S-1-5-21-854245398-651377827-725345543-1248". And add a user (admin
privileges) with Full Control. Like I said IT IS PAINFUL the way I did
it. Maybe someone out there can find a faster fix?

Here's what worked for me:

- Log in with Administrative permissions
- go to: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/regmon.html and download RegMon
7.02
- run the RegMon while installing Flash.
- You will see "ACCESS DENIED" in certain fields.
- Run Regedit
- Right Click HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and select permissions
**My list of permissions was "Everyone".
- Click "Advanced"
- Click the "Owner" Tab
- Check "Replace owner on subcontainer and objects"
- Click "OK"
**Here is where you should also get an error message or two
- Right Click the Registry key that had "ACCESS DENIED"
**You will most likely get an error message when clicking on the key.
Disregard it.
- You should now see a user with a name that looks like
"S-1-5-21-854245398-651377827-725345543-1248" and also has a question
mark on the icon. These were the numbers on my computer, yours will
obviously be different.
- Remove that user.
- Add your admin account with full control
**I also added "SYSTEM" with full control. Didn't get a chance to test
it without.
- Click "advanced"
- Check "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries
shown here that apply to child objects"
- Click "Owner Tab"
- Check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"
- Click "OK"
** There should be 2 prompts that pop up. Sorry but I don't remember
which ones they are.
- Click OK on each prompt
- Click OK to exit the "advanced security settings window" to get you
back to the main registry window
- Hit F5 to refresh the registry
** You should now see that the "ACCESS DENIED" key has a plus sign next
to it.
- Expand it and you should see a folder.
- Right click on the folder and select "permissions"
- Remove the user with the question mark icon and your admin account
with full control.
**You should now be able to delete the key!!!!

You might have to install the flash player several times as you watch
the RegMon to make sure there are no more "ACCESS DENIED". Once you
get all of them, flash 8 activex should install and work. I tried it
from the web download at the adobe site. No reboot required.

SOME of the keys I deleted:

ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.1
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.7
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.8

FlashFactory.FlashFactory
FlashFactory.FlashFactory.1

Good luck everyone!
Dr. Ness

klg345

Jun 29, 2006, 7:04:15 PM6/29/06
I have attempted the fixes mentioned, but have not had any success. I tried
making changes in the registry and some of the keys indicated there was an
error in opening key. I tried to change permissions, but it says access is
denied (I have admin rights to my machine). I've deleted flash.ocx from I386
and uninstalled and re-installed with no success. I have a new program I'm
trying to install and can't move forward. Any help or new suggestions would be
appreciated.

jvman

Jul 16, 2006, 10:07:47 PM7/16/06
Leo, when you say look up the rights, what does that mean? Anyone else still
having this problem,? I've tried all the advice and still no luck. I cannot
edit the permissions using regedit, I have 12 errors when I use regmon for
access denied. Any more ideas?

daddyleer

Jul 26, 2006, 5:27:34 PM7/26/06
Error 1904 from stand alone install, or * at conclusion of on line IE install -
either way Flash Player will not work. Shockwave works just fine. Flash player
worked fine until about two weeks ago. Frustrating two weeks trying all
recommended user group tips and tricks, completed survey, emailed customer
service. (The registry editing is above my head.) Running Windows XP with SP2
through auto updates, multiple users. Norton Internet Security but I've tried
installing both with it on and off, and Flash Player worked just fine only two
weeks ago with Norton running anyway. NO new programs added. Tried to open a
web site two weeks ago and received message that I needed newer version of
Flash Player to use site and it's been all downhill since.

You recommend taking it to a professional if uncomfortable with registry
editing; however calling local PC repair places they won't touch this Flash
Player problem. "the problem is with Adobe Macromedia, not your PC."

Any new ideas would be appreciated.

Mstream

Aug 1, 2006, 10:45:59 AM8/1/06

This should solve your problem, as well as other issues you may be
having on your computer. I had the same 1904 error on a laptop and
fixed it with this.

Goto a CMD prompt and paste this command in.

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb
/verbose /areas REGKEYS

It will reset security settings in the registry windows xp to their
defaults. Don't worry about warning messages. Reboot and
Re-install

This will fix other issues with installing software and windows updates
as well.

If you don't have the secedit.exe, find it on another computer and copy
it to your machine into windows\system32 directory.

Goodluck,

ITdad03

Aug 7, 2006, 9:55:24 AM8/7/06
I ran into this problem when reloading a new machine. Instead of searching for
each of the keys associated with flash, I modified the permissions at the root
of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. I added my local administrator account with full
permission and then replicated it to all of the childern. Reran my install and
it worked fine. Hope this helps for everyone else.

Flashless G-Unit

Aug 9, 2006, 2:27:54 PM8/9/06
It looks like I'm in the same boat, I too had a perfectly functioning Flash
plugin until about last week, I too have Norton Internet Security 2006, which
I've just installed recently and when I tried to visit a website to look at
something which uses flash it told me my Javascript was either turned off
(Which it isn't) or either that my Flash was out of date, which I don't think
it was. I've tried all the suggestions here and as well as the standard
auto-reply that I got from Tech Support, but still nothing aal I get is that
annoying little " mark, I've tried to email off again to Tech Support, I don't
know how long it's going to take to reply.

But it seems quite coincidental, that you've got Norton Internet Security, I
wonder if there is an update to Norton that has somehow blocked this... which
would be a pain in the ...

daddyleer

Aug 12, 2006, 12:21:03 PM8/12/06
I guess customer service has "exhausted" their suggestions for me. They have
ended the exchange of emails for my case, never replying to my last "reply to".
Nothing new was ever suggested that was not previously tried from tips on these
user groups. Just to be thorough I uninstalled and reinstalled Norton with
absolutely NO effect on Flash Player errors. I know from email and friends and
neighbrs that the problem is only growing with more home PCs failing to be able
to display sites that use Flash Player. I've just taken to contacting the
vendors or site owners and advising them. Most are unaware they are loosing
business because of Macromedia product. Perhaps Macromedia will listen to them
more than individual users.
For what it's worth, I finally downloaded Firefox and simply use that for
web browsing. Things seem to work fine in the Firefox world. Though it has its
limitations vs IE at least those sites I need to use that require Flash Player
can be opened.
Good luck with customer service.

-= JoE =-

Aug 14, 2006, 4:53:08 PM8/14/06
It kills me how people always blame the vendor of the software they're trying
to install for the problem.
This problem is clearly a result of software that is currently running or was
running on your computers that has modified the Operating System in such a way,
that it deviates from its defaults. Adobe would not put out software that it
doesn't first test.

Try this:
1. Go to Google.com
2. Search "Error 1904".
3. See how many other companies that have software report this error show up
on your search.

Want to know a common problem? Try this for an answer:
Windows, Security Permissions, Malware, Anti-Spyware software, Antivirus
applications, anything that would prevent you from writing to the registry or
to the file system.

Want a permanent fix? Easy!
Reinstall Windows. Install all the Adobe software you want and then install
the malware stuff!

And NO ... I DO NOT WORK FOR ADOBE!!!

hkazemi

Aug 14, 2006, 5:38:52 PM8/14/06
I am seeing Error 1904 when installing Breeze Presenter v5.1 (Powerpoint
plugin) when either Flash 8 or 9.0.16 is installed. If I remove Flash 8 or 9
and use the 'uninstall_flash_player.exe' available from this website, then
Flash 7.0.19.0 (flash.ocx) remains in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash
folder. The Breeze Presenter v5.1 installer happily installs with that version
of flash.ocx, but not with later versions.

I am able to upgrade to later versions of Flash after installing Breeze
Presenter, without triggering any obvious problems in Breeze. Also, when I
ignore the error 1904 during the Breeze Presentater installation, it still
appears to work in Powerpoint.

My observation is that this command fails whenever I see error 1904:
regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash\flash.ocx
(This succeeds after running 'uninstall_flash_player.exe', but fails after
upgrading using the Active-X web installation of Flash 9.)

I think there is some version checking occuring that prevents multiple
versions of flash to be installed and registered at the same time, and that
Breeze Presenter's installer is trying to register Flash 7 when it should not
be.
This command succeeds after installing Flash 9 (as expected):
regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash\flash9.ocx

The Firefox/Netscape/Opera version of Flash doesn't seem to play any role in
these problems.
(I have an image of the workstations that this problem occurred on, and can
reproduce it.)

Corner House

Aug 14, 2006, 8:38:26 PM8/14/06
Hooray!!!!! :grin; Thanks scrandal & co for the pointers in the right
direction! I've fixed my issue too!

I don't like the way I had to fix them - but, hey, at least they're fixed now.

I used regedit and added the Administrators group to the permissions for each
of the following HK_CLASSES_ROOT entries:

FlashFactory.FlashFactory
FlashFactory.FlashFactory.1
FlashProp.FlashProp
FlashProp.FlashProp.1
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.1
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.7
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.8

Then I just re-installed - I didn't have to fart about, uninstalling first.

[b]Note: I was unable to edit the permissions from any account other than the
one that originally installed Flash.[/b] Fortunately that account still
exists, although, following some Microsoft issues, it is now redundant.

I've also noticed that a number of other registery entries also have
permissions for the original account only - I'm going to change them all now so
that any Administrator account can access them.
:smile;

Bill 21784

Aug 14, 2006, 10:56:56 PM8/14/06
I had this problem since Dec 2005. I gave up on trying to fix this problem
along with others including Windows Media Player 10.
I reinstall Windows from the DELL restore disk and now everything is fine.
The upgrade to the new Flash completed SUCCESSFULLY.
Flash Player and Windows Media Player 10 are now working.
I am not sure if a Security update othe installing some other software caused
the problem but this is NOT a problem caused by Adobe.
BEWARE when installing software and always create a RESTORE POINT.
The Windows registry heart of all software and when it get corrupt then you
can forget on programs running properly.
That's why most new programs are written in JAVA which does not use the
registry.

Matias_pl

Aug 24, 2006, 7:07:57 PM8/24/06
If anybody still has a problem with deleting HKCR keys using regedit:

FlashFactory.FlashFactory
FlashFactory.FlashFactory.1
FlashProp.FlashProp
FlashProp.FlashProp.1
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.1
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.7
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.8

from the registry ("Access denied."), here's how to do it:

1. Log in as Administrator and run regedit.
2. Right click on a key, choose "Privileges..." (second from the bottom).
3. Add user "Administrator" (actually any existing user will do, with or
without administrative rights).
4. Grant "Full access" for this user. Don't click OK or Apply yet, or you'll
see a big fat "Access denied." warning.
5. Click Advanced, go to Owner tab.
6. Choose Administrator, and click OK in the Advanced settings window, and
Privileges window. Regedit shouldn't argue at this point.

Access rights are now set for the current key, but not subkeys, so you won't
be able to delete the whole key just yet - you have to repeat the action
described above for every subkey of every subkey (luckily there's not that
many). Unfortunately setting recursive inheritance doesn't work. After setting
new rights for a key be sure to refresh the tree (hit F5), so that contents of
the unlocked key are shown.
Setting access rights and ownership seems to fix the problem, as this was said
a few posts earlier, so I suppose it's no difference, if you actually delete
those keys or not, but I deleted them anyway. Couldn't resist :grin;

Have fun! And if you're ever in Poland remember to buy me and my brother a
:beer;

Matias, self-proclaimed Microsoft MVP :evil;

McGuireNC

Aug 25, 2006, 2:02:07 PM8/25/06
I'm on Win XP, IE 6.0.2900. FP worked in Firefox, but not IE. I tried one of
the simple solutions mentioned earlier (figured start with something easy), and
it worked. I used the
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14157 and then
re-installed Flash straight from Adobe's site (after unchecking the Yahoo
toolbar box!). When I was having the issue, I never got the ActiveX install
"warning" on Adobe's site, but after uninstalling and going back, I did.
Player works fine now.

Gollux

Sep 10, 2006, 3:07:32 AM9/10/06
This whole mess comes about typically from something messing around with key
permissions on HKLM/Software/Classes and usually wiping everything and changing
it to Everyone with full access.

HKLM/Software/Classes should have group Administrators granted full access,
SYSTEM granted full access and USERS granted Read access, these rights are then
inherited by the subkeys. CREATOR OWNER and Power Users probably should appear
in the permissions as well on a factory new install. HKCR is a merge of the
HKLM/Software/Classes and HKCU/Software/Classes keys.

Q313222 from Microsoft is one place to start for finding how permissions can
be set back to factory for the Registry. I'm still dealing with bad Flash
installs a year and a half later. You can waste a lot of time running down all
the nonwritable keys with REGMON which is a great tool by the way, but this
really is a waste of time when the parent key is missing it's proper ACL
settings and you could cure most of the problem by restoring the permissions
and allowing inheritance to take care of all those Administrator unwriteable
keys.

Once this is corrected, you can then use REGMON to run down the one or two
keys that really do have messed up permissions.

TheChemplon

Sep 19, 2006, 7:01:21 AM9/19/06
Thank to [b[Gollux[/b] I solved the problem in about 15 minutes. I'm wondering why Adobe still doesn't release a Fix tool... or just the solution to the problem! :embarrassment;

mailforhari

Sep 27, 2006, 10:58:09 AM9/27/06
Thanks a lot guys....

especially to "Matias_pl"... with the help of your post only i installed flash
player in my machine again....

thanks a lot once again...

I'll definitely buy beers for you and your brother if I get a chance to visit
poland.... :-)

kudos......

-

Hari

hovercrafter

Oct 17, 2006, 10:28:40 AM10/17/06
[q][i]Originally posted by: [b][b]Gollux[/b][/b][/i]

This whole mess comes about typically from something messing around with key
permissions on HKLM/Software/Classes and usually wiping everything and changing
it to Everyone with full access.

[b]HKLM/Software/Classes should have group Administrators granted full access,

SYSTEM granted full access and USERS granted Read access, these rights are then
inherited by the subkeys. CREATOR OWNER and Power Users probably should appear
in the permissions as well on a factory new install. HKCR is a merge of the

HKLM/Software/Classes and HKCU/Software/Classes keys. [/b]

Q313222 from Microsoft is one place to start for finding how permissions can
be set back to factory for the Registry. I'm still dealing with bad Flash
installs a year and a half later. You can waste a lot of time running down all
the nonwritable keys with REGMON which is a great tool by the way, but this
really is a waste of time when the parent key is missing it's proper ACL
settings and you could cure most of the problem by restoring the permissions
and allowing inheritance to take care of all those Administrator unwriteable
keys.

Once this is corrected, you can then use REGMON to run down the one or two

keys that really do have messed up permissions.[/q]

I have just fixed 3 machines with the HKLM/Software/Classes permission
problem. This seems to be the big culpret causing most of the problems.

mxmom493

Oct 19, 2006, 7:46:02 PM10/19/06
For the past 2 day's I have tried just about every solution posted in this
forum. I believe I have found a solution that just might work for a large
percentage of the viewers. I can't remember whose instructions these were. I
copied and pasted and then proceeded as instructed.

Step 1.
Using the SubInAcL tool from Microsoft to fix permission issues in the
registry has solved installation errors for several products including Flash
Player.
The following solution involves the Windows System Registry. Editing or
manipulating the registry incorrectly can result in serious system damage which
may require reinstallation of the operating system. If you are not comfortable
editing the registry, then take your system to a professional. If you choose to
proceed, then it is essential that you create a complete system backup and a
Windows System Restore Point before proceeding. Adobe Systems cannot be held
responsible for damage resulting from this information.

You must have administrator privileges to successfully complete these
instructions.
1. Follow the instructions to download and install the subinacl tool from
Microsoft here.
2. Use a text editor to create a file and name it reset.cmd. Save the
reset.cmd in C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools folder.
3. Copy and paste the following content into the reset.cmd file. Then save and
close the file.

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f
4. Open the command window to run the reset.cmd script. Select Start, Run, and
type in "cmd".
5. In the command windows type in "cd C:\Program Files\Windows Resource
Kits\Tools" and select Enter.
6. Type in "reset.cmd" and select Enter. This will run the SubInACL tool.
7. After a few minutes processing subinacl, the permissions will be reset.
8. Install the Flash Player from here: http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer
9. Test the Flash Player here: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome

Next: STEP 2.
I took GOLLUX's advice and went to Q313222 from Microsoft and followed this
instruction:

To reset your operating system back to original installation default security
settings: 1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
2. Type secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb
/verbose, and then press ENTER. You receive a "Task is completed" message, and
a warning message that something could not be done. You can safely ignore this
message. For more information about this message, view the
%windir%\Security\Logs\Scesrv.log file.

Thanks Gollux & to whoever posted instructions for the Windows Resource Tool.
Problem solved!

mxmom493

mxmom493

Oct 19, 2006, 7:46:02 PM10/19/06

mxmom493

Oct 19, 2006, 7:46:00 PM10/19/06

drj8884

Nov 24, 2006, 4:56:22 PM11/24/06
The easy way to delete flash8b.ocx or similar is to rename the file to
flash8b.txt, then move the file to another directory (I chose the root), then
delete the old directory then change the file from read-only (this does not
work until you have moved the file), then delete the file as normal. I am not
sure if the renaming or deleting the old directory are essential, but it can't
hurt and was part of the things I tried to get my file gone. Best of luck

Tuur_r

Dec 5, 2006, 10:09:00 AM12/5/06
At our hospital, Flash refused to work in user Citrix sessions on thin clients.
There were pop-ups requesting to install the flash player even though it was
already installed. Using the information in this thread we gave 'full control'
to the 'users' group on all our Citrix servers (Windows 2003 SP1, Internet
Explorer 6, MetaFrame XP) for the following keys:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FlashFactory.FlashFactory
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FlashFactory.FlashFactory.1
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FlashProp.FlashProp
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FlashProp.FlashProp.1
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.1
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.7
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.8

That did the trick.

Tuur Ruytjens
System Engineer
Sacred Heart Hospital Leuven, Belgium

ShaneWheeler

Dec 11, 2006, 2:06:19 PM12/11/06
Just an FYI here on reproducing this problem consistently. I am looking into
this further but wanted to post my findings so far so that others can look into
this and maybe Adobe can make use of these steps to try to reproduce and fix
the issue.

1. Work from a clean install of WinXP Tablet PC Edition 2005 Version 2002
Serice Pack 2. (This may work with non tablet pc version as well but haven't
tried)
2. Look under C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash folder and there should only
be Flash.ocx which was included with the system install.
3. Go to Windows Security Center under Control Panel and click the link to
check for the lastest updates from Windows Update. (note you should go through
all the updates but the one that I think is causing the problem is the one
which installs flash6.ocx, you will notice flash6.ocx will be in the
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash folder after the security update for flash)
4. Run an InstallShield basic msi installer that includes the
flashplayer8mergemodule.msm redistributable.
5. You should get an error dialog
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash8b.ocx failed to register. HRESULT
-2147220473. If you take out step3 with the flash security windows update and
don't allow that to ever run before you run your flash install you will not get
the bug at all.

Hope this helps,

-Shane

Shane Wheeler
whe...@exploriasps.com

Big Al0

Dec 20, 2006, 2:45:10 PM12/20/06
I have more insight into Shane's Problem. After performing research on the
web, I noticed there is a SafeVersions key in the registry. This can be
located at:

HKLM\Software\Macromedia\FlashPlayer\SafeVersions

Under SafeVersions, there are values for 6.0, 7.0, 8.0

After installing MS KB923789, the value for
HKLM\Software\Macromedia\FlashPlayer\SafeVersions\8.0 was 0x0000021 (Decimal
Value of 33). I assume that means that no version less than 8.0.33 can be
installed. I was installing Version 8.0.24. When either the value of the key
HKLM\Software\Macromedia\FlashPlayer\SafeVersions\8.0 was changed to a lower
version, ie 18, or if the SafeVersions key was completely removed, the
application for flash 8.0.24 installed.

For my case, I was use the Flash Player Merge Module for Internet Explorer
from the Adobe Distribution Download.

I believe that this problem can be recreated for any version of flash player
including 9. The troubling factor is how do SafeVersion play into the
installation of the product? I cannot find any documentation about this key.

Al

Tuur_r

Jan 5, 2007, 8:44:10 AM1/5/07
Update on flash problems in Citrix:

On some of our servers we had to give full control to the 'everyone' or
'users' group for every key in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT that contained the string
'flash' on top of the ones mentioned above.

It's a tedious job to do but it works. For now.

Harris007

Jan 8, 2007, 3:29:42 PM1/8/07
Cleared the explicit deny permission on the Everyone Group on the following
registery keys. Was able to successfully register flash.ocx afterwards
following directions listed in the thread.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}

1. Make sure you have ADMIN privileges to the machine
2. Search your machine for the file "flash.ocx"
3. copy or write down the full path to this file. It -should- be
C:/Windows/System32/Macromed/Flash/Flash.ocx
If the file is NOT in that folder, copy it into that folder. Make sure there
are NO other .ocx files in that folder. If there is an 'swflash.ocx' delete it.
4. Choose Start> Run
5. In the run dialog, type or paste exactly this line. :
RegSvr32 C:/Windows/System32/Macromed/Flash/Flash.ocx

FlyingBobbyG

Feb 10, 2007, 9:27:14 AM2/10/07
_jasonWylie, Thank You, flash player is now working perfectly. I was alittle reluctant to work in the registry, but I followed your directions exactly. This fix work!

eterzan

Apr 26, 2007, 4:13:30 AM4/26/07
_jasonWylie, thank you for your solution.
I recevied error 1904.module c:\windows\system32\macromed\Flash\Flash.ocx failed
If you do what he said exactly, so it's working.:smile;

pvdossel

May 4, 2007, 4:35:30 AM5/4/07

For me the use of the SubInAcL tool from Microsoft to fix permission issues in the registry has solved the installation errors for both the Flash Player and Quicktime.

duskb

May 17, 2007, 5:14:20 AM5/17/07
[q][i]Originally posted by: [b][b]_jasonWylie[/b][/b][/i]
[...]
the benefit of the community -- [/q]

BTW This means nothing to me...tried loading my Quickbooks CDR tonight on my
new Gateway Vista machine and after several attempts at loading I got this
error....QB is unloadable on this new machine. Not very happy at the moment.

ERROR 1904. Module
C:\windows\system32\macromed\Flash\Flash.ocx failed to register. HRESULT
-2147319780. Contact your support personel.

Please fix this....

Spartan_Atlantian

Jun 23, 2007, 12:21:20 AM6/23/07
For what it's worth, and this is not the most "best-practice" method of solving
this problem... The updated active-X control or Flash-player does NOT install a
file named flash.ocx ..... Atleast that has been the case with me (Windows XP
SP2, and Windows Vista Home Premium Edition). Doing a search for the
"flash.ocx" dll or library extension yields no results. Instead, the file that
is brought up using a search with parameters of "flash*.ocx" brings back a
result of: "flash9c.ocx". What has worked for me, (and this is not the most
appropriate approach) I duplicated the "flash9c.ocx" file, and renamed the
"copy of flash9c.ocx" into the the file I needed: "flash.ocx" This worked for
me. It is not a recommended fix, and it is not a long term solution as
Microsoft will continue to re-write it's kernel with no backwards
compatibility. In the interim, this is a viable SHORT term solution.

~~~~ Jerry or Spartan_Atlantian. Would appreciate any feed back.

eatours

Sep 19, 2007, 2:39:01 PM9/19/07
All
I recently had this error 1904 error on a few dozen machines. Tried all the
listed fixes and none worked. Finally justed deleted all of the FLASH
references in the registry and tried the reinstall on every pc and they all
worked.

Hope this helps.

Lau cha

Oct 22, 2007, 8:10:50 AM10/22/07
Just deleted software\macromedia\flash from the registry and reinstalled the application..

EricRox

Oct 31, 2007, 2:44:00 PM10/31/07
To correct the error installing flash player 9 : " Unable to register
c:\windows\system32\macromed\Flash\Flash9c.ocx failed to reg. HRESULT ?
2147352567 " that you receive once you have attempted to install using
"install_flash_player_active_x.msi" goto c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash and
launch "flashutil9c.exe" or "flashutil9d.exe" and select "Install Now" in the
Flash Player popup window. This will download an updated version of the flash
player and properly registers with activex. Reboot your workstation and you
should be good to go.

geeefcee

Nov 20, 2007, 11:16:05 AM11/20/07
Can someone please suggest a fix that can understood by mere mortals. I've had this problem for 2 months now and am losing the will to live!!

Tayro_CTS

Nov 21, 2007, 6:26:19 AM11/21/07
Yes, I am founding the same problem in Windows Vista. The procedure above don´t work to me...

any suggestion?

geeefcee

Nov 21, 2007, 1:15:25 PM11/21/07
Seems like it's a problem that only Computer Geeks can understand or deal with. Nobody else seems to care at all. Oh well, I'll go back to books and eventually die I guess.

ashearier

Nov 26, 2007, 9:51:36 AM11/26/07
After trying several other methods, I tried the SubInAcL. It may not be
completely related, but my computer now gets hung up before I get to the
desktop. I can get into the setup screen, just not to the desktop. Is there any
way I can undo what I did, or should I start seeking pro help.

omg_help_me

Nov 27, 2007, 9:22:24 PM11/27/07
where do u find this "registry" and please explain what it is to us normal ppl

powellies

Dec 26, 2007, 5:07:59 PM12/26/07
HI IHAVE THIS ERROR BUT FLASH IN WORKING WITH YOU TUBE BUT NOT CHANNEL 4 ON DEMAND ANY IDEAS THAT ARE EASY TO UNDERSTAND

surgicalCFe

Apr 15, 2008, 1:32:50 PM4/15/08
Manually register the file atl.dll ---> "regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\atl.dll" See if that helps.

digiklan

May 5, 2008, 6:59:59 AM5/5/08
still have the same problem
any more advices?

hkazemi

May 5, 2008, 10:34:47 AM5/5/08
[q][i]Originally posted by: [b][b]hkazemi[/b][/b][/i]
[...]

reproduce it.)[/q]

Update: This problem can be resolved using updated applications. Macromedia
Breeze Presenter 5 had this problem when used with newer versions of Flash that
install Flash9e.ocx in C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash . The current
version of Presenter, Adobe Presenter 6, doesn't have this problem. I think it
stemed from a filecheck in the Breeze Presenter 5 installer that saw flash.ocx
missing, then tried to install it, by copying the file into
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash but failed to register it because
flash9e.ocx was already filling this role. (In the case of Breeze Presenter 5,
this problem was likely to come up when Microsoft Powerpoint 2003 was first
launched after the Breeze installation, which then called the Windows Installer
to do some Breeze configuration stuff that included checking for Flash.ocx.)

If you're still seeing this problem, it is probably because one of your
applications is trying to install its own copy of Flash, and failing because
another copy was already installed. I think the change in filename from
flash.ocx to flash9e.ocx may have broken some installer logic checks that look
for the presence of flash.ocx, rather than seeing if a flash content handler is
already installed. Why was the Flash OCX filename changed?

The existing installer may be looking for flash.ocx, which is out of date, and
gets flagged and possibly removed by system security software due to its being
years out of date (it is Flash 7.0.19.0 from 6/9/2004).

BrowneyedAngie

Aug 24, 2008, 10:36:42 PM8/24/08
I was having all the same troubles...flash was fine.Then I changed internet
providers,and they have
different security settings...Anyway,after a month of removing and adding
programs,messages telling
me adobe had been"succesfully installed".We still couldnt view ANYTHING that
needed a flash player...
games on PBS,NICK.COM,YOU TUBE etc....
HERES WHAT FINALLY WORKED FOR ME!!!!
I RESTORED THE SYSTEM BACK TO A DATE THAT I KNEW THE FLASH PLAYER CRAP WAS
FINE TO.
GRANTED I LOST ALL MY NEW VERIZON SECURITY STUFF AND IT SAYS I NEED TO RESTORE
MY VERIZON HIGH SPEED INTERNET...BUT MY WEBMAIL IS UP AND RUNNING.AND WE CAN USE
ADOBE/MACROMEDIA FLASH PLAYER AGAIN.
SO FOR NOW I WILL NOT LOOK A GIFT HORSE IN THE MOUTH,IM NOT RESTORING ANY OF
THE VERIZON
INTERNET STUFF(WHEN THE PROBLEM STARTED,WITH THEIR "NEW"WEBMAIL OFFER)
AGAIN TRY A SYSTEM RESTORE.
THATS THE ONLY THING OUT OF HUNDREDS OF THINGS THAT WERE TRIED,EVEN BY COMPUTER
SPECIALISTS @VERIZON,THAT WORKED FOR MY FLASH PLAYER TROUBLES.
GIVE IT A TRY,IT CANT HURT.:grin;

BrowneyedAngie

Aug 24, 2008, 10:41:23 PM8/24/08
GO TO SYSTEM TOOLS IN ACCESERIES AND RESTORE YOUR SYSTEM BACK TO A DATE THAT
YOU KNOW IT WAS WORKING....THATS THE ONLY THAT WORKED FOR ME,AFTER 100 ATTEMPTS
TO UN AND REINSTALL AND EXTRRACT THINGS FROM WINZIP...BLAH,BLAH,BLAH
RESTORE YOUR SYSTEM TO A PAST DATE WHEN IT WAS WORKING:tounge;

OMF(UK)IT

Sep 12, 2008, 11:16:41 AM9/12/08
I am a network administrator on my organisations domain. We recently had the
1904 error on a number but not all our machines after rolling out the flash9
active x msi from Adobe.

After many fustrating hours of research and testing. I looked at adobe
articals about permissions on the Shockwave.Shockwave registry keys and
registering flash9.ocx with regsvr32.exe and had very little luck.

In the end I created .reg file containing certain keys and sub keys (the
subkeys is partly what fixed it for me) from a working machine. And copied the
full contence from the c:\winodws\system32\macromed\Flash from the working
machine to a usb drive.

I then deleted the contence of the c:\winodws\system32\macromed\Flash on the
machine with the error and replace them with the copy I took from the good
machine.

I then ran the .reg file I created.

This fixed all our machines.

I have attached a copy of the .reg code below, First backup the registry and
then if you copy the text below in to a txt file and then rename it to be .reg,
and double click it to load in it into the registry.

Then if you go to a web page that uses flash such as a youtube video it will
all work fine.

----- copy these files first from a working machine.
--Flash9.ocx
--Flash9f.ocx
--flash.ocx
--FlashUtil9f.exe
--KB913433.inf
--UninstFl.exe

------Here's the reg file

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

--0

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash]
@="Shockwave Flash Object"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash\CLSID]
@="{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash\CurVer]
@="ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.9"

--1

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.1]
@="Shockwave Flash Object"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.1\CLSID]
@="{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}"

--3

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3]
@="Shockwave Flash Object"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3\CLSID]
@="{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}"

--4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4]
@="Shockwave Flash Object"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4\CLSID]
@="{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}"

--5

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5]
@="Shockwave Flash Object"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5\CLSID]
@="{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}"

--6

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6]
@="Shockwave Flash Object"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6\CLSID]
@="{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}"

--7

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.7]
@="Shockwave Flash Object"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.7\CLSID]
@="{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}"

-8

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.8]
@="Shockwave Flash Object"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.8\CLSID]
@="{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}"

--9

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.9]
@="Shockwave Flash Object"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.9\CLSID]
@="{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}"

Regards,

Jonathan Ford