FH8 & AdobePS 5.0 for WinNT4.0 problems?

Galen Young

Apr 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/28/98

Has anybody had any problems with using the new AdobePS 5.0 print driver
for WindowsNT 4.0? FH8 now says that none of my PostScript printers (local
or networked) are installed - while everything other app on my system prints
fine.
The one file update on macromedia.com (fh8printfix.exe) appears to be for
Win95
only - I installed it but no change. Any ideas? Thanks.

-galen

Bentley Wolfe

Apr 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/28/98

Galen Young wrote:

> Has anybody had any problems with using the new AdobePS 5.0 print driver
> for WindowsNT 4.0? FH8 now says that none of my PostScript printers (local

I've used it, as well as several multi-user FreeHand 8 sites out
there... I've seen one or two things which seemed to be specific to
output on a specific device, but I have not heard of any instances of
FreeHand failing to recognize any postscript printers at all. We've also
tested it in house with no noticable evil.

So what's happening to you? Good question.

This might sound dumb (but hey... it's something to try) but I'd say
uninstall FH8.. then select a postscript printer through the Adobe PS5
driver and reinstall FreeHand. We look at the printer driver during the
installation.

Try it and report back..

--
Bentley Wolfe -- Macromedia Technical Support – Richardson, TX
| Please respond to the public forum and not private e-mail.

Galen Young

Apr 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/29/98

>This might sound dumb (but hey... it's something to try) but I'd say
>uninstall FH8.. then select a postscript printer through the Adobe PS5
>driver and reinstall FreeHand. We look at the printer driver during the
>installation.

Thanks for responding - actually I had already tried this before posting.
Unintalling/reinstalling FH8 and the PostScript drivers. (NEC Silentwriter
95, Linotronic 330 v3.7, Scitex Dolev800 PS L2) Even the Epson Stylus
Color 600 non-PostScript printer isn't working - still get the message:

"The current target printer Epson Stylus Color 600 is not installed.
Please select another."

All of the installed printers are listed - but clicking on them generates
the
same message. Never had this problem with FH5. Everything else on the
system works fine - Pagemaker, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. We'll just move
our FH work over to Illustrator until a solution can be found.

-galen

Bentley Wolfe

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98
to Galen Young

Galen Young wrote:

> >This might sound dumb (but hey... it's something to try) but I'd say
> >uninstall FH8.. then select a postscript printer through the Adobe PS5
> >driver and reinstall FreeHand. We look at the printer driver during the
> >installation.
>
> Thanks for responding - actually I had already tried this before posting.
> Unintalling/reinstalling FH8 and the PostScript drivers. (NEC Silentwriter
> 95, Linotronic 330 v3.7, Scitex Dolev800 PS L2) Even the Epson Stylus
> Color 600 non-PostScript printer isn't working - still get the message:
>
> "The current target printer Epson Stylus Color 600 is not installed.
> Please select another."
>
> All of the installed printers are listed - but clicking on them generates
> the

Galen, I think I've missed something here.

When you say "clicking them" above, do you mean selecting that driver in
FreeHand 8's target printer selection?

Are there any other drivers on this system? For example, I'm wondering
if there might be a fax driver?