error 1904 installing flashplayer

f_un_der_cover

Oct 31, 2005, 8:19:26 AM10/31/05
hi i am having persisting trouble with the flash player installation. I have
consulted the help pages of macromedia.com and talked to the help center and
followd any steps but still can not resolve the problem.

during installation i get the following message:

error 1904. module
c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash\flash8.ocx
failed to register. HRESULT - 2147220473. contact your support personnel.

who can help me to view those webpages that i need?

kind regards,

T.Janssens

Bentley Wolfe MM

Oct 31, 2005, 12:09:11 PM10/31/05
f_un_der_cover wrote:

At this time we do not know how to resolve this problem. We're working
internally on this issue to the best of our abilities, but so far we've
never been able to get this to happen on an internal machine at
Macromedia, which makes it very tough to fix so far.

If you've already been in touch with support then we're already tracking
your case on the Flash Player team, which is what we need to continue
doing. In the meantime this problem unfortunately prevents you from
using IE with Flash.

We'll be posting more info when we have it. In the meantime I am sorry
for the inconvenience.

We absolutely believe that this is very machine-specific and could be
caused by any number of machine or security settings. So it's certainly
possible that you could find a solution on your own, and please let us
know if that happens.

-- Regards,

Bentley Wolfe
Senior Escalation Engineer, Flash
Macromedia

Tom Unger

Oct 31, 2005, 10:57:15 PM10/31/05
f_un_der_cover;
Bentley is likely aware of the following issue, so it probably does not
apply, but the "kill bit" does cause registration to fail, so it might be
worth a look:
http://www.macromedia.com/go/tn_19091
-Tom Unger

Bentley Wolfe MM

Nov 1, 2005, 11:32:20 AM11/1/05
Tom Unger wrote:

> f_un_der_cover;
> Bentley is likely aware of the following issue, so it probably does not
> apply, but the "kill bit" does cause registration to fail, so it might be
> worth a look:

I am well aware of the kill bit (and the technote...) However, we've
yet to find kill bit involved in this 1904 error issue. I wish 1904 was
that easy to solve.

What we really need is someone with 1904 to send us their cpu and give
us permission to play doctor with it in Flash Player engineering...

Alessio74

Dec 13, 2005, 10:04:09 AM12/13/05
Hy, I've the same problem.
We tried to install the flash player with different administrative users, but nothings is changed.
Did you find any solutions?

Thanks in advance for your collaboration.

Patrick Biggs

Dec 20, 2005, 4:55:41 PM12/20/05
Hi, same problem here.
Works in Opera fine but won't install in IE.

MyITGuy

Jan 7, 2006, 8:23:38 PM1/7/06
For Windows Vista 5270. Create a registry file called msielev.reg. Enter the
following into it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Msi.Package\shell\runas\command]
@="\"%SystemRoot%\\System32\\msiexec.exe\" /i \"%1\" %*"

"IsolatedCommand"=hex(2):22,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,\
6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,\
00,5c,00,6d,00,73,00,69,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,63,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,\
22,00,20,00,2f,00,69,00,20,00,22,00,25,00,31,00,22,00,20,00,25,00,2a,00,00,\
00

The context menu for MSI files will now have Run Elevated... This should
correct the issue.

Johnny-1

Jan 15, 2006, 3:48:06 PM1/15/06
Hello,

I have encounter the same problem after installing Macromedia Flash Player 8 :
" Error 1904.Module Flash8.ocx failed to register ". Since, I cannot display
certain web site Flash frame content like at
"http://www.wanadoo.fr/bin/frame2.cgi?u=http%3A//meteo.wanadoo.fr".

I have too removed the "Kill bit" but didn't change any thing.

MyITGuy proposed a solution for Windows Vista 5270 editing the register.
Is there a solution for Windows XP family edition sp2 and IE 6 using the MSN
Search Toolbar?

Thank you for your help
Johnny

Bentley Wolfe -ADOBE

Feb 10, 2006, 10:51:46 AM2/10/06
My name is Bentley Wolfe. I'm a senior Technical Support Engineer here at
Macromedia (now a division of Adobe Systems), and the Flash and Flash Player
support lead (as of like, last week...)

I've been working with the former Flash Player team lead and the Flash Player
engineering team on the '1904 problem' for a year and a half. It's occured on
quite a number of user machines. We suspect that cause is something being reset
by spyware/malware/viruses.

Unfortunately up to this point we have been unable to determine exactly what
is causing this problem or how to fix it, and it's a frustrating situation. For
a number of reasons we were never able to reproduce this in house on any of our
machines, and we hadn't been able to identify what keys or permissions were
causing the problem (primarily because we couldn't get anyone to send us a
machine.....)

As of 2/9 we have a machine coming in from Canada for Engineering to debug.
But then this morning I see this thread which I missed before.. I have a list
of customers who've opened Flash Player support incidents with the '1904
error'. I'll have a few of them try this and see what happens. Then between the
results of that test and Engineering's examination of the graciously loaned PC
we'll be able to post back and to hopefully write a technote putting this issue
to sleep once and for all.

I'm replying today because I found a somewhat buried thread in the FlashPaper
forum in which someone claims to have found 4 incorrect permissions, which when
reset resolve the 1904 problem. I'm hoping I can get several people to try it
and report back to this thread:

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=400&thre
adid=1074882&enterthread=y

Thanks for your patience.
(no private mail please. Reply to the thread...)

Regards,
Bentley Wolfe
Technical Support Engineer, Flash & Flash Player
*Macromedia, now a division of Adobe Systems

mr AxelA

Feb 11, 2006, 11:37:49 AM2/11/06
Yes, finally it worked.
In the registry find HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash right
click and grant read/full control to Administrator.

Thanks for the link Bentley Wolfe (although it didn't work) it solved my
problem.

Bentley Wolfe [Adobe]

Feb 23, 2006, 10:09:15 AM2/23/06
mr AxelA wrote:

TEST POTENTIAL FIX for 1904 Flash Player install issue:

If you have the 1904 error, please test these steps to see if they allow
you to then install Flash Player 8. Reply back to the thread with your
results..

You will need to be comfortable editing the registry with regedit. If
you are _NOT_ comfortable editing the registry then it's probably best
to just wait until we confirm a solution and publish a technote, or to
take your machine to a professional.

STEPS:
In the registry find the following keys (if they exist). Then right

click and grant read/full control to Administrator.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.1
(There is NO ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.2)
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.7
ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.8

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.spl
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.swf
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mfp
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sol
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sor

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}\InprocServer32
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/x-shockwave-flash
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/futuresplash

Bentley Wolfe
Senior Support Engineer, Flash/Flash Player

dnamertz

Apr 24, 2006, 1:22:25 AM4/24/06
Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
mr AxelA wrote:

I found this old thread regarding error 1904, which I am getting while trying
to install Flash Player 8. However, when I go to edit all of the registry keys
listed in the fix, the "read" and "full control" boxes are already checked, but
greyed-out for the Administrator, so I can't change them. It only allows me to
check/uncheck the boxes under the "deny" column. Since the boxes under the
"allow" column are already checked, why is the problem not fixed for me?

dnamertz

Apr 24, 2006, 10:59:39 PM4/24/06
OK, I changed all the permissions on the listed registry keys but Flash 8 still won't install.

tbreh

May 8, 2006, 4:24:20 PM5/8/06
I'm having the same issue. Originally, I didn't have any of the HKCR/Shockwave*
keys, however, I discovered they were somehow created today. I changed the
permissions on them, making sure both domain and local administrator had full
control, but to no avail.

I'm hoping an actual solution is found soon as this is becoming quite
irritating!

Antonio/19

May 14, 2006, 6:53:34 AM5/14/06
im so mad, cause i dont know how to fix this problem is making me crazy, this
company has many workers ad cant fixed the damm problem. F all the web sites
that IE flash..........but thank god it works on firefox.

OniLink

May 23, 2006, 12:11:24 AM5/23/06
Is there anyway I can get email updates from Adobe/Macromedia on this issue?

LEIC32

Aug 20, 2006, 4:26:20 PM8/20/06
:smile; I have been trying to fix this problem for months, tried all the fix's
recommended but with no success. I just happened to be searching aimlessly when
I came across this brillient bit of kit at
http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix
This peice of software actually resets you registry permissions which is the
route of the problem. I ran the program and it fixed the issue in 5 mins.
Hope you have the success I have.

rjmatthews62

Aug 31, 2006, 1:22:49 AM8/31/06
FYI, I can 100% duplicate the problem by the simple step of installing the
flash9 alpha, and then trying to install the Flash Player 8 activeX control.

I'm running XP home, and I've had a client with a similar problem with XP Pro.

Uninstalling everything flash related, rebooting, and trying again seems to
solve the problem.

Bentley Wolfe -ADOBE

Apr 23, 2007, 5:25:44 PM4/23/07
Does the channel 4 software happen to include the FLash Player installer in MSI
format?

If so then you may have permission problems. Those can be hard to resolve, but
try these two technotes:
http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_19148
http://www.adobe.com/go/fb1634cb

steveinthecity

Apr 24, 2007, 7:43:00 AM4/24/07
I got this from C4 support :-
Thank you for your email regarding 4oD.

This is an issue with Adobe for the following reasons;

1. This issue has been around since Flash 7, 4oD has not.
2. the issue surrounds over writing previous versions of the flash 9.ocx file
3. This file cannot be registered because the previous file has read only
permission.
4. Adobes forums are full of people with this issue, most of which are from
the online gaming community and not customers of 4oD.
5. The reason why you are having problems now is because our site requires a
flash upgrade rather than using the flash version that you already have
installed.

Bentley Wolfe -ADOBE

Apr 24, 2007, 3:34:59 PM4/24/07
Nice.

It -is- an old issue. But it's related to the permission problems I listed in
those two technotes. Only the '1904 error' can only occur if you're installing
from an MSI (which is one of the formats used by licensees of the Flash Player
Distribution license...)

Try those technotes please.

Humvee59

Apr 30, 2007, 12:53:25 PM4/30/07
i have a possible solution that worked for me after a couple of hours trying
the various posts

this is with version 9 installed
go to the flash folder c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash
rename the file flash9c.ocx without the c in it
install the program
then change the file name back
it may be nessercery to unistall flash player then reinstallit befor it will
let you rename the file

hope this helps as it worked for me

Roadie-Steve

May 1, 2007, 6:28:35 AM5/1/07
This worked for me too (also after many hours of trawling through posts and websites).

Thanx Humvee59 !!!

steveinthecity

May 2, 2007, 4:58:38 AM5/2/07
have tried this but Channel 4 on demand still fails in the same place with the same message - thanks for helping.