Flash9B.ocx error problem

Cher2

Feb 27, 2008, 5:06:55 PM2/27/08
I run Norton System Doctor regularly as well as RegistryBooster2.

Just recently (this week) WinDoctor gives me the unfixable message:
"CLSID\{1171A62F-05D2-11D1-83FC-00A0C9089C5A}\InprocServer32," refers to a
missing file, "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash9b.ocx.".

RegistryBooster2 says it's fixed all errors, but it hasn't fixed this problem.

I have deleted Flash, run WinDoctor and RegistryBooster2, then reinstalled
Flash, but nothing seems to work. Obviously the file Flash9b.ocx is not there
and my Flash floder contains another edition of that file (Flash9e.ocx), but my
registry will not adapt.

I continue to get this error message. How do I fix this problem? I have never
delved into the Registry so please relate any suggested fix in simple,
step-by-step instructions.

:confused;

1waverider

Feb 28, 2008, 10:22:49 AM2/28/08
You can't uninstall Flash with Windows uninstaller. You have to download
Adobe's Newest flash uninstaller on the Flash Support website. Keep
uninstalling with it and reboot. Do it one more time to make sure. Reboot and
download the newest version and install. After that go to
C:Windows\System32\Macromedia and then in the flash folder you should have a
new updater like "FlashUtilb.exe" or "FlashUtile.exe" or some other letter
behind FlashUtil?.exe. Run it as Administrator and it will check the net for a
necessary update, yes to download and install and then your
done.............whew!

Cher2

Feb 28, 2008, 11:52:13 AM2/28/08
I had done all this the first time, but I followed your instructions, to the
letter, but no go. I still have the problem.

You'd think Adobe would have a solution for this. I didn't have the problem
until Adobe sent out an automatic update last week and I accepted it. I
thought I could trust Adobe, but apparently not.

Thanks for trying.

KifH

Mar 5, 2008, 8:32:30 AM3/5/08
Hi Cher.

I used brute strength and ignorance!

Copy and paste "flash9e.ocx" to the same folder C:Windows\.....Flash (use the
Explorer for the full path) so you get "Copy of flash9e.ocx". Then rename it
"flash9b.ocx".

I suspect that flash9b.ocx is now redundant but no-one thought to remove the
entry in the Registry when designing the installation program for the later
version (duhhhhh), so Norton One Button keeps looking for it. Providing you
still have flash9e.ocx the extra file shouldn't do any harm.

Kif

dhe...@conceptcable.com

Mar 7, 2008, 1:32:09 PM3/7/08

Thanks, Kif!

I did that -- it works. No errors found.

I believe what you said is correct. Norton One Button checkup keeps
looking for flash9b.ocx and cannot find it.

Copying and then renaming the file does the trick. As long as you
keep the original flash9e.ocx, I don't think there will be any
problems and Norton will stop showing the error.

Nicely done, Kif.

Cher2

Mar 13, 2008, 6:48:04 PM3/13/08
Way To Go, Kif...it worked!!! THANK YOU!!! Such a simple solution for such an annoying problem. I hope others with this problem read this. Thank You again.

Cher:grin;

Allen M

Mar 21, 2008, 12:31:03 AM3/21/08
Hi guys,

I would maintain that this is NOT a proper solution. I thought of this right
off and sure it works but it does NOT change the fact that there is still an
improper and no longer used registry entry referring to a file which NO LONGER
EXISTS. Making a copy of the file may HIDE the problem but it does NOT fix it.

I am a software developer myself and it is inexcusable that Adobe is not
fixing this problem. They have an absolute responsibility to clean up their own
registry entries folks!

I have seen registry problems creep up over time because it is so common for
software vendors to leave obsolete STUBS in OUR system registry when you
uninstall or upgrade an application! Over time the registry can get so many of
these OBSOLETE entries that your system can start to run slower over time and
possibly cause other problems.

This is exactly why I use Norton Systemworks Premier to monitor my registry as
I'm sure many others do as well. The problem here is that Adobe's BUG is so
nasty that even Norton Systemworks cannot remove the offending registry entry!
I also CANNOT remove it manually even though of course I have full Admin rights.

ADOBE MUST FIX THIS PROBLEM. I have reported this BUG to them but am still
waiting for a response - maybe they want to ignore it but I for one will NOT
let this go.

Being a software developer myself and understanding how this works I still
maintain there is no excuse for this kind of problem to exist.

I for one maintain that MICROSOFT should make this a condition of getting
official Windows CERTIFICATION - e.g., they should test UPGRADE, UNINSTALL, etc
and REFUSE to grant certification until the software vendor cleans up all their
registry entries appropriately.

Trust me, if MS did this we would not have problems like this because who does
not want to have MS certification for their software products??

Folks, sorry if I sound negative but it's just not right for us to have to
deal with this kind of issue.

My suggestion: If EVERYONE would send in a bug report on this issue, the
"noise" would get so loud that Adobe would have no choice but to fix this issue
once and for all.

Ok, I'll get off my soap-box now. :)

Allen

Timothy Daniels

Mar 21, 2008, 6:09:32 PM3/21/08
"Allen M" wrote:
> My suggestion: If EVERYONE would send in a bug report on this issue,
> the "noise" would get so loud that Adobe would have no choice but to fix
> this issue once and for all.

OK, how does one send in a bug report that will be read by
the developers at Adobe?

*TimDaniels*

OWAUP

May 24, 2008, 1:32:42 AM5/24/08
System telling me I need to do a backup as drive is acting up. I would like to
remove this Flash9b.ocx from my system but Norton's Win Doctor is telling me no
can do. Any word on how to get this off my computer so I can do a "clean"
backup?

CHAOS'|nc.

May 24, 2008, 10:30:59 AM5/24/08
Sometimes the most complicated things in life is actually very simple.