Unable to open file - Internet Director Player Error

Linda Foreman Rolfes

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
I've created a simple Director movie that works fine if I play it
locally on my hard drive. It calls other Director movies when certain
buttons are pressed, and they appear as expected when I test it locally.

However, when I post themn to my web server (they are all in the same
directory) and start up the main movie via the Internet, I can't get the
sub-movies to start...I get the following message:

"Director Player Error...Unable to open file
"http://www.ideasculptors.net/movies/dw.dcr"

This is the correct path for the movie.. I'm stumped.

Help?

Linda

Bernhard Gaul

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
hi linda,

did you try it with "gotonetmovie" rather than "go to movie" or "play movie"
?

Peter DeCrescenzo

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
Linda Foreman Rolfes wrote:
> I've created a simple Director movie that works fine if I play it
> locally on my hard drive. It calls other Director movies when certain
> buttons are pressed, and they appear as expected when I test it locally.
> However, when I post themn to my web server (they are all in the same
> directory) and start up the main movie via the Internet, I can't get the
> sub-movies to start...I get the following message:
>
> "Director Player Error...Unable to open file
> "http://www.ideasculptors.net/movies/dw.dcr"
> This is the correct path for the movie.. I'm stumped.

I don't know why you're getting that error, but I do have some question:
- Are you testing in Shockwave or a projector?
- What version of Director or Shockwave are you using?
- How are you calling (playing) the external movies? (What Lingo are you
using?)

Your answers may help us point to a solution.
--

== Peter DeCrescenzo, Macromedia Technical Support, San Francisco, CA
= Director 7.0.2 Updater, Developer Center, TechNote Archives, more:

Linda Foreman Rolfes

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
I'm using the htm generated by Director 7.0 to run a Shockwave movie (not a
customized projector). I used the built-in "Play Movie" navigational
behaviour to call the other movies.

thanks for your help!

linda

Peter DeCrescenzo

Jun 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/11/99
Linda Foreman Rolfes wrote:
> I'm using the htm generated by Director 7.0 to run a Shockwave movie (not a
> customized projector). I used the built-in "Play Movie" navigational
> behaviour to call the other movies.

If you have not already resolved your issue: If you instead use the
Lingo "goToNetMovie" (as described in Director's documentation), does
that resolve your issue?
--

== Peter DeCrescenzo, Macromedia Technical Support, San Francisco, CA

= Director 7.0.2 Updater, Developer Center, TechNotes, docs, more: