can't mount the one system I want

Andrew Stout

Aug 30, 2009, 11:02:01 PM8/30/09
to MacFusion-devel
Hi--

I've just downloaded MacFusion, and it seems to be working fine except
for the system I actually want to connect to. When I try to connect
to my Ubuntu desktop, on the first attempt MacFusion reports, "Could
not mount filesystem: Mount has timed out.", and on every subsequent
attempt, "Could not mount filesystem: Authentication has failed."
I've tried multiple users, multiple mount points, and both its
internal (192.168.XXX.XXX) and DNS (subdomain.mydomain.net)
addresses. I've also tried blowing away ~/.ssh/known_hosts, to no
effect. However, every other host that I've tried to mount seems to
work.

Now, to me this would suggest a configuration problem with my Linux
box, but I can use the command-line sshfs-static-leopard downloaded
from MacFUSE, or the one bundled in MacFusion, and it works fine
connecting to the host in question. Moreover, I can ssh into the
machine with no problem.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be? Why only this machine,
and why only from MacFusion's GUI but not from the command line?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew Stout

P.S. I glean that MacFusion started at Swarthmore. I'm Swat C.S.
class of '03. Go Swatties!

Graham Perrin

Aug 30, 2009, 11:26:48 PM8/30/09
to macfusi...@googlegroups.com
On 31 Aug 2009, at 04:02, Andrew Stout wrote:

> Authentication has failed

Check your keychains for *all* entries relating to the service to
which you can not connect.

If there exists a key with an old password, Macfusion can not know to
ignore that key.

Michael Gorbach

Aug 30, 2009, 11:29:24 PM8/30/09
to MacFusion-devel
Macfusion really doesn't do anything except launch its internal sshfs
binary with certain options. I really need to add a debug log to show
the exact command line it's kicking off. For one thing, try increasing
the timeout interval and see if that helps. Make sure that the sshfs-
static binary inside Macfusion.app/Contents/Plugins/sshfs.mfplugin/
Resources works with the exact same hostname as given in the Macfusion
GUI. If you still see a difference, it probably has something to do
with the options Macfusion is using for sshfs.

~ M.

PS. Macfusion was indeed written by me while sleeping off Swarthmore
during winter break. Go Swatties indeed!

On Aug 30, 8:02 pm, Andrew Stout <google_acco...@andrewstout.net>

Andrew Stout

Sep 9, 2009, 2:36:01 AM9/9/09
to MacFusion-devel
Sorry for my delay--had other fish to fry.

I'm now on 10.6, and the situation has changed a bit for the worse. I
blew away all keychain entries pertaining to the host in question, to
no effect. I also deleted and re-downloaded Macfusion, just for good
measure.

I now get "Could not mount filesystem: Remote host has disconnected"
for any host I attempt to mount with Macfusion. I get the same
results on the command line using /Applications/Macfusion.app/Contents/
PlugIns/sshfs.mfplugin/Contents/Resources/sshfs-static.
I've downloaded a more recent version of sshfs-static from the MacFUSE
site, and installed it in /usr/local/bin as sshfs. using this at the
command line works fine. If I rename the bundled sshfs-static in
Macfusion, and ln -s /usr/local/bin/sshfs sshfs-static, then I get
behavior in the GUI identical to before--all hosts seem to work except
the one I really want. It's possible that I had made this swap to
make Macfusion use the newer verison of sshfs when I posted before.

I recognize that to really solve this problem myself, I'd download the
code and figure it out for myself...I may do that at some point, but
it's unlikely--I'm afraid I just don't have time. So: what options
would the GUI be passing on? If I can send those options to the
command line, we should see the same behavior... How do I increase
the time interval?

--A.

Andrew Stout

Sep 10, 2009, 7:34:10 PM9/10/09
to MacFusion-devel
Here's a big clue: I just attempted to mount the desired system from
another location (at school), and it worked fine. Which leads me to
suspect there's some kind of loopback something-or-other going on. I
once had a similar problem, where my router was rejecting ssh access
from within my home network (because the requests appeared to be
coming from itself.

Only this only happens with the Macfusion GUI--I can access my Ubuntu
desktop from my home network in any number of other ways, including
command-line sshfs. Thoughts?

--Andrew

On Sep 9, 2:36 am, Andrew Stout <google_acco...@andrewstout.net>

Michael Gorbach

Sep 10, 2009, 7:44:54 PM9/10/09
to MacFusion-devel
You can increase the time interval in Macfusion's preferences.
In terms of finding which options its starting it with, typing ps aux
in terminal while the sshfs-static process is started will show you
the full command used to launch it.

On Sep 8, 11:36 pm, Andrew Stout <google_acco...@andrewstout.net>

Andrew Stout

Sep 10, 2009, 11:46:53 PM9/10/09
to MacFusion-devel
Looks like boosting the timeout interval did the trick--sorry I didn't
think to look in the app preferences before (I'd only looked at the
per-host configuration). I'm back to Mac after a few years away from
the fold, and I was tired. That's my excuse, anyway...

Thanks, both for the nice app and for the pointing out the obvious
(which I'd missed)...

--Andrew

Craig1f

Sep 14, 2009, 10:40:45 PM9/14/09
to MacFusion-devel
I'm having the same problem. When I ssh from the terminal, it works
fine. When I use Macfusion, I get "Could not mount filesystem: Remote
host has disconnected."

This message occurs almost immediately, so I can't attribute it to a
timeout. I've tried increasing the timeout from preferences, and it
has no effect ... the message still occurs immediately.

I'm running Snow Leopard at the moment. I haven't messed around with
Macfusion before now.

Any ideas?

Steven Kolins

Sep 14, 2009, 11:08:26 PM9/14/09

On Sep 14, 2009, at 10:40 PM, Craig1f wrote:

> I'm having the same problem. When I ssh from the terminal, it works
> fine. When I use Macfusion, I get "Could not mount filesystem: Remote
> host has disconnected."

I'm still getting up to speed on using MacFusion - how do you use
MacFusion to mount ssh/sftp shares?

= - - - - - - - =
Steven Kolins
mailto:smko...@mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/smkolins/
http://smk99.blogspot.com/
Possess a pure, kindly and radiant heart!

ummd

Sep 16, 2009, 11:26:57 AM9/16/09
to MacFusion-devel
Same problem as Craig1f. I think the switch to Snow Leopard did it,
though can't confirm because it's been a few months since using
MacFusion. Can ssh fine through terminal, MacFusion kicks same error
immediately.

Squrler

Sep 21, 2009, 12:18:01 PM9/21/09
to MacFusion-devel
I'm also having the same problem. Just upgraded to Snow Leopard, and
now MacFusion won't mount an SSH server, while it would do just fine
under Leopard.
Is MacFusion compatible with 10.6 or is it simply a case of
reinstalling MacFusion after an upgrade to SL?

Coen Warmer

drpj

Sep 19, 2009, 7:45:49 AM9/19/09
to MacFusion-devel
I found it useful to check the Console when I had problems connecting.
In my case it turned out that an improper shutdown had left a mount
point in my /Volumes directory for the volume I was having trouble
mounting. When I removed that "ghost volume" I was able to mount the
remote sftp directory fine.

matt68000

Sep 21, 2009, 6:50:33 PM9/21/09
to MacFusion-devel
I ran the sshfs-static in this plugin directory with the -d flag and
it says it couldn't load "sshnodelay.so" from that same directory.
This is a reasonably irrelevant lib so I simply renamed it to
sshnodelay.so.bak so the loader couldn't find it but would still
execute the binary. I suppose you could get the original code for this
lib and compile it with the Snow Leopard libs/linker but for what I
need Macfusion to do, this works fine with much less effort.

On Sep 8, 11:36 pm, Andrew Stout <google_acco...@andrewstout.net>