Programming perspective: login page

Otártics András

Sep 21, 2013, 1:26:17 AM9/21/13
to lxd...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

  @Andrew: after all I checked the current login code. The login part is completely separated in the htmllib and as such it is easily modifiable.
  Basically it is rendered from 5 parts:

  a header: httpdocs/lib/indexheader.html
  a footer: httpdocs/lib/indexfooter.html
  one css file: htmllib/lib/admin_login.css
  the index content: httpdocs/htmllib/lib/indexcontent.php
  and one demo login content: httpdocs/lib/demologin.php

  As I see there is currently  no need to modify the php code to replace the login page.
  If you create the new design css and index.html, I will separate the parts and update hypervm code accordingly.

  Just one ide, let me know what you think about it:
    let's separate the true indexcontent and let it be client modifiable as well as add a custom css file. I think it is simply a matter of two more file exists checks and moving the indexcontent out to two more files for inclusion: login and forgotpass.

  Also I had the luck to create sites for arabic people and I would happily skip it now as it would mess up many thing. As there is still no i18n support, the login page is currently only in English anyways.

Bests,
András

Andrew Ying

Sep 21, 2013, 2:53:42 PM9/21/13
to lxd...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Please refer to the ZIP file I have just posted. If the login page is separated, then there's no much deal and we can keep the current format for now. I agree that we can add custom CSS, but is it now when the fields are all very messy etc... Maybe that would be after 2.1?

Best,
Andrew

Danny Terweij | LxCenter

Sep 21, 2013, 3:16:51 PM9/21/13
to lxd...@googlegroups.com
Is it poss

Op 21-9-2013 20:53, Andrew Ying schreef:
> Hi,
>
> Please refer to the ZIP file I have just posted. If the login page is
> separated, then there's no much deal and we can keep the current
> format for now. I agree that we can add custom CSS, but is it now when
> the fields are all very messy etc... Maybe that would be after 2.1?
>
> Best,
> Andrew
>
> On Saturday, 21 September 2013 06:26:17 UTC+1, Ot�rtics Andr�s wrote:

Lets make it a Semir and Andrew project. Have fun both with that and may
the login page be kickassed.

Tho! i want to see some small thing...
Add the sponsors to the login page. Static or served from example
download.lxcenter.org/somefileformat.ext

Up to you guys to think about that. We should do more with
sponsors/partners!

Have fun!

Regards,
Danny

András Otártics

Sep 21, 2013, 3:30:51 PM9/21/13
to lxd...@googlegroups.com

2013.09.21. 21:17, "Danny Terweij | LxCenter" <d.te...@lxcenter.org> ezt írta:

> Is it poss
>
> Op 21-9-2013 20:53, Andrew Ying schreef:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Please refer to the ZIP file I have just posted. If the login page is separated, then there's no much deal and we can keep the current format for now. I agree that we can add custom CSS, but is it now when the fields are all very messy etc... Maybe that would be after 2.1?
>>
>> Best,
>> Andrew

Ill do magic :-)

>> On Saturday, 21 September 2013 06:26:17 UTC+1, Otártics András wrote:
>

> Lets make it a Semir and Andrew project. Have fun both with that and may the login page be kickassed.
>
> Tho! i want to see some small thing...
> Add the sponsors to the login page. Static or served from example download.lxcenter.org/somefileformat.ext
>
> Up to you guys to think about that. We should do more with sponsors/partners!
>
> Have fun!
>
> Regards,
> Danny

Andrew Ying

Sep 21, 2013, 3:32:43 PM9/21/13
to lxd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Danny,

It is absolutely possible. After Andras does his bit, I would probably be looking into adding another PHP script so it can took on information of sponsor from somewhere and randomly select one and display something like "Proudly supported by Your Host's Name" with a link back basically.

Best,
Andrew

Andrew Ying

Oct 11, 2013, 4:19:59 PM10/11/13
to lxd...@googlegroups.com
Danny!!!

Guess what? See screenshot! It has now been committed to the GitHub.
Screen Shot 2013-10-11 at 9.16.35 PM.png

András Otártics

Oct 12, 2013, 12:32:28 PM10/12/13
to lxd...@googlegroups.com
2013/10/11 Andrew Ying <andre...@lxcenter.org>
Danny!!!

Guess what? See screenshot! It has now been committed to the GitHub.

I think he knows, he pulled it :D

Otártics András
Villamosmérnök
Telefon: +3620-503-96-11
E-mail: otart...@gmail.com

Walter Secco

Oct 12, 2013, 1:39:30 PM10/12/13
to lxdevel
Hmm. I didn't see Danny merge. Andrew did.

It is necessary to remind everyone that you cannot merge your own pull
request. The idea is to have at least one other person inspect the
code or it will be no different from the SVN mess we had.

It is also necessary to create a new issue or update an existing one
at http://project.lxcenter.org so everyone knows who is working on
what and the % done, target release, etc. Also makes it easier to
credit changes and compile the changelog. Redmine is working fine now
and we can continue using it for its intended purpose. Shouldn't take
more than 2 minutes.

On another note, I find problematic displaying sponsors in the login
page. My reasons:

1) A company using or evaluating HyperVM/Kloxo will not want to
advertise its competitors, obviously. Even more troublesome if a
sponsor is using our product and the login page shows a competitor. No
bueno;
2) Users may think their VPS provider is a reseller (which will bring
much grief to sponsors). This already happens today as we get e-mails
from Kloxo users because of the default page, some can be very
offensive. We also get e-mails from security companies (RSA Security
and friends) about hosting phishing sites and viruses, which we don't.
This is one of the reasons that forced me to disable the contact page
on our website as even adding huge disclaimers in red and bold letters
did not work. This WILL happen to our sponsors too, I guarantee;
3) HyperVM/Kloxo may be used to host illegal content or content
Sponsors do not agree with (such as porn, violence, drugs, piracy,
etc) and you don't want to link their name to questionable/illegal
activities.
4) You have to assume sponsors names and logos are trademarked. That
means you need their approval in writing beforehand, authorizing the
use of their name and logo for this specific purpose. They may opt-out
for one of the reasons stated above.

Of course, I could not give my input on this matter as these changes
were promptly merged. It will do more harm than good to our sponsors
and I would reject the pull request if given the chance.

An alternative is to list sponsors on the "update home". Something
like "This release was made possible with the help of our sponsors X,
Y, Z.". This sort of information only matters to the server admin,
anyway.

My 2 cents.

- Walter.

András Otártics

Oct 12, 2013, 1:51:35 PM10/12/13
to lxd...@googlegroups.com
2013/10/12 Walter Secco <walter...@lxcenter.org>
Hmm. I didn't see Danny merge. Andrew did.

Interesting, I tought it was Danny, cause exchanged some letters in which he accepted the changes.

Andrew Ying

Oct 12, 2013, 2:28:09 PM10/12/13
to lxd...@googlegroups.com, walter...@lxcenter.org
On Saturday, 12 October 2013 18:39:30 UTC+1, Walter Secco wrote:
Hmm. I didn't see Danny merge. Andrew did.
Yes, I do.

Please see here: https://github.com/lxcenter/hypervm/pull/55. If you're really acting for the good of the team, you should have brought this up earlier. Bringing it up right now, unfortunately, make me doubt your intention is simply to stop this function from implementing. My stand, is also same as Danny's, as he showed through his actions. At this time when not even you're willing to code for HyperVM, it makes no sense to do so. If you're willing to show active contribution by actually developing, I would evidently respect your developer quality and willing to let you to inspect my code.

It is also necessary to create a new issue or update an existing one
at http://project.lxcenter.org so everyone knows who is working on
what and the % done, target release, etc. Also makes it easier to
credit changes and compile the changelog. Redmine is working fine now
and we can continue using it for its intended purpose. Shouldn't take
more than 2 minutes.
For this one I have no objection is in total agreement.

 Yes, don't really know who said code more and talk less, and right now destructing us. Please be informed that this idea is brought up by Danny perhaps at least two weeks ago. If you have such an objection why don't you bring it up at that instant.

Unfortunately, at this stage it is evident that we have very serious disagreement in some of the very core values. E.g. what we do in the time of difficulty (where there is no releases at all), and whether we would like to actually contribute some code instead of simply talking. I think it is simple. If you don't like it, fine. I just wouldn't contribute, like what you once risked to do. It's the best way to have this thing worked out. As you love to give comment, you can go on and make it your ideal project - and see whether you can get some release before the next sponsor decided to stop sponsoring us.

Andrew Ying

Oct 12, 2013, 2:35:39 PM10/12/13
to lxd...@googlegroups.com, walter...@lxcenter.org
My last uninspected pull request. I have reverted the lxcenter/hypervm dev branch.

Otártics András

Oct 12, 2013, 6:19:13 PM10/12/13
On Saturday, October 12, 2013 8:35:39 PM UTC+2, Andrew Ying wrote:
My last uninspected pull request. I have reverted the lxcenter/hypervm dev branch.

Im sorry, Andrew, but I have to say that Walter was right! Your changes reached so deep into HyperVM's  core that you should have asked for a WHOLE GROUP of reviewers before pulling!
It was nothing like replacing the whole mysql to mysqli, This was serious stuff.

Please Walter, link us your last comment on github. Or, btw, __anyone's__ last comment except Danny.

Danny Terweij | LxCenter

Oct 12, 2013, 6:51:13 PM10/12/13
to lxd...@googlegroups.com
Op 12-10-2013 19:39, Walter Secco schreef:
> On another note, I find problematic displaying sponsors in the login
> page. My reasons:
>
> My 2 cents.
>
> - Walter.

Thanx for your 2 cents.
But it stays at 2 cents at the moment.

And I do agree with Andrews mind, contribute is the main goal.

About the sponsors at login page, I wrote, it is enabled by default and
the owner of the products can remove it.
It says also, "lxcenter sponsored by". That does not mean to me that
they sponsoring the hoster.

Second, if you, Walter, does not like the emails send to some
lxcenter.org accounts, then says so, or remove yourself from it. Its bad
to disable the contact. I did not know you did do that, i blame you if I
missed important contact form emails.

And yes, dont talk, just code. Else nothing happens. No restrictive
rules yet. They come when more people are intrested to contribute. I am
saying for years, i am not a coder. I even do not use the the products
anymore because i had to stop my company. Still I give my support and
still it looks like everyone needs me.

One plus for you, use redmine. I do use it, everyone should do that
contributes.

Sponsors are happy to see more of their names than just on a website
with more spambots/indexrobots visits than real visitors.

In the past at my company when I got a Kloxo question from a client, I
redirected them to the Lxcenter forum. Just because i dont know
everything. Same with cpanel, I redirected them to cpanel support if I
did not know the answer. But if it was a case i had to do (server-side
related) then I was the guy that contacted for example cpanel support.

Anyway, happy with it or not, "Don't talk, go code". Thats the only
thing that matters right now.
Sure, pull requests needs to be working. But I DO EXPECT that it is
working. I DO EXPECT that developers TEST their code. I DO EXPECT
developers watch other developers and corrects/fixes things from other
developers.

So far upto now, the above works.

Walter, you want rules? Just wait after HyperVM 2.1.0 is released.
Then you may spit all about rules, control them, make sure the rules do
not break, punish the developers about bad coding by not accepting pull
requests etc. Make my day :) After 2.1.0, i go to the background, doing
sysadmin things and RPM/third party updates. But! if your rules does not
work, I step in again, go code and make the "Don't talk, go code" rule
active again that overrules any other rule :)

Again, make my day after HyperVM 2.1.0 :)

Andrew, Semir, others that code and contribute, go ahead code and make
pull requests, and if youre aloowed to merge your own request, do it! I
expect you tested it and other developers, or even just code watchers
out there are watching and corrects/fixes it if needed.

My one Euro :)

And yes i am still coding and testing on my development vm at home.
Expect more pull requests with lot of changes.

Last word about the sponsoring, its fine, just removeable as suggested
by me with the first introduction of it.

Tho i think the sponsor info should be from let say:
download.lxcenter.org/sponsoring(.xml/.txt). Not localy from
distribution file. Or we have to create a rpm package that replaces the
local sponsoring file with new info when needed. I dont have to explain
why I believe :) Go work on that.

Regards,
Danny.

Walter Secco

Oct 12, 2013, 7:58:05 PM10/12/13
to lxdevel
I was replying to early e-mails but decided to scrap them.

Nothing more to say or do. I will start removing/demoting my login
credentials from all servers and services in the following days. This
e-mail address will be last in case it is needed to confirm an account
deletion and from now on you can reach me on my personal e-mail.

Best of luck to all of you!

Regards,
Walter.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/lxdevel/5259D261.8050803%40lxcenter.org.

Danny Terweij | LxCenter

Oct 12, 2013, 9:46:34 PM10/12/13
to lxd...@googlegroups.com
Op 13-10-2013 1:58, Walter Secco schreef:
> I was replying to early e-mails but decided to scrap them.
I scrap a lot. Its good to write down your mind. Then read back a few times.

> Nothing more to say or do. I will start removing/demoting my login
> credentials from all servers and services in the following days. This
> e-mail address will be last in case it is needed to confirm an account
> deletion and from now on you can reach me on my personal e-mail.
>
> Best of luck to all of you!
>
> Regards,
> Walter.

If you read this,
Good luck to you to. Youre welcome back anytime.

It is a overreacted descission in my eyes, not professional.

Regards,
Danny.

András Otártics

Oct 13, 2013, 2:52:36 AM10/13/13
to lxd...@googlegroups.com
2013/10/13 Danny Terweij | LxCenter <d.te...@lxcenter.org>
Hey Walter,

  your quitting is absolutely unnecessarey, Andrew has quit already yesterday, he just did not write an A3 page about it.

Regards,
Danny.

Otártics András

Oct 13, 2013, 3:02:30 AM10/13/13
to lxd...@googlegroups.com
Im sorry, I was just not able to read this, way too long.
In my perspective, I dont care. What I care is HyperVM and that it works.
Most people actually are ejoying using it. If we do not give the most basic upgrade to it, they'll just stop.

Good news is, at last one guy signaled that he starts beta testing!

Andrew Ying

Oct 13, 2013, 3:45:12 AM10/13/13
to lxd...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

In this case, I will return. The problem I had earlier is that (which a good number of you don't understand) is that Walter is the Project Manager and procedurally I have to follow what he says (unless majority of Core agree on otherwise - but basically require many discussion and potentially arguments). We also have far too many arguments within years. That's why I would not like to follow him and quitted earlier. I am happy to develop with Danny, however, because he knows how to convey things better, (and make you feel better :D ). I don't want to comment too much on that because I am absolutely happy to have Walter back, as a Core.

Back to what Danny asked - please refer to https://github.com/lxcenter/hypervm/commit/84a849e2786952829e04c01c4b784431dbbf8055. Basically what the script does it take it from https://raw.github.com/lxcenter/hypervm/dev/hypervm/RELEASEINFO/SPONSORS-SYNC. They of course can change the URL, but I am afraid that's the best I can do.

- Andrew

Danny Terweij | LxCenter

Oct 13, 2013, 10:31:48 AM10/13/13
to lxd...@googlegroups.com
Op 13-10-2013 9:45, Andrew Ying schreef:
Back to what Danny asked - please refer to https://github.com/lxcenter/hypervm/commit/84a849e2786952829e04c01c4b784431dbbf8055. Basically what the script does it take it from https://raw.github.com/lxcenter/hypervm/dev/hypervm/RELEASEINFO/SPONSORS-SYNC. They of course can change the URL, but I am afraid that's the best I can do.

- Andrew

It looks great Andrew, nice job. Thanks.

Danny.