May 2016 Workshops: Arduino, Vector Design & Vinyl Cutting, Capture the (Digital) Flag

Daniel Johnsen

May 20, 2016, 10:35:26 AM5/20/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Just a friendly reminder, LVL1 has a good number of classes & workshops available for the remainder of the month.

As always our event calendar has the regular meetups including the power wheels racing series, maker ed & others. http://www.lvl1.org/events/
  • Arduino 101 Workshop: Saturday, May 21, 12-4PM: We're breaking out our library of Arduinos, sensors & wires so you can learn how this microcontroller can control motors, turn on items like LED lights & sense various items like changes on a dial, sense smoke, light, etc.
    • RSVP: http://bit.ly/1X7bLm2
    • Who should attend? Anyone that wants to learn how to do basic programming with a small microcontroller
    • What is the cost? $20 covers the workshop, recommendations for purchase of the equipment will be provided
    • What skills are required: Basic computer operation & some dexterity with your hands to connect small electronics together, attention to detail for basic copy/pasting of programming examples
    • What should I bring? A laptop loaded with the Arduino development environment, see: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
  • Vinyl Cutting Class: Wednesday, May 25, 7-8:30PM; Learn to use Inkscape to take a design, digitize it into a format that our vinyl cutter can use, then cut & apply your design to a surface including water bottles, bikes and other items that need your design.
    • RSVP: http://bit.ly/1TKSzWi
    • Who should attend? Anyone that wants to learn basic Inkscape design steps to convert a picture of a design into a format that
    • What is the cost? Free for the class, bring a few dollar bills for materials
    • What skills are required: Basic computer & hand craft work
    • What should I bring? A laptop, a few design ideas you want to convert, an item you want to apply the design to like a water bottle, laptop
    • Note: This is a **great** first step (and prerequisite) for learning how to make files for multiple pieces of equipment at LVL1 including the vinyl cutter, laser & Shopbot.
  • Capture The Flag & Cyber Security Challenge: Saturday, May 28, 10AM-6PM.  A competitive session to teach you a few ways cyber security works.  This is a challenge & hands on workshop.
    • RSVP: http://bit.ly/1ToqLr9
    • Who should attend: Those interested in learning a few basic Linus skills & how to work on cyber security items & have a competitive streak in them for a virtual game of capture the flag
    • What is the cost? $20 covers the Linux system we'll provide, training, food & drinks
    • What skills are required: We'll start teaching you how to load the Linux system (so everyone has an even playing field, get it, playing field?) and begin attacking the other Linux systems in the game
    • What should I bring? A laptop and a competitive attitude
Any interest in the following workshops?  Just reply back and we'll see if we can schedule them