Prospective Woodshop Upgrade

Terry Lee

Aug 25, 2015, 12:20:13 PM8/25/15
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hello all - As some of you may know I have been organizing a plan to upgrade the wood shop. Below is a Sketchup version of the ideal prospective wood shop. The placement is based on the best use of the space allowing ideal ergonomics of the room. This pre-planning is essential for the space to receive the 4x8 CNC router which you can see from the Sketchup drawing. It is also essential to know where these tools can efficiently work to apply proper dust extraction to the work shop.

Items of immediate importance:
  • Safety over all. As a maker space we provide access to tools that are dangerous if not operated properly, and sometimes even if they are. I feel it is our job to help people stay safe and have heard much talk over a system that provides that support. I have devised a plan that I will bring to the next committee meeting.
  • Dust extraction for the wood shop also falls under safety as dust particles can be hazardous from some materials such as MDF. I will be calculating optimal air flow potential for our dust collector and determine if we will need a new system based on our shop needs.
  • Storage space. Currently there is a lot of space that is being wasted just due to poor space management. But we can help that! The Sketchup drawing is missing some storage slots/cabinets over top of the new miter saw bench. This will help greatly with shop usability.
  • Front door. I have heard some talk about having a door for the shop. I suggest a door with a window that allows people to look in before they walk in. That way you'll know if its safe to enter without distracting someone's attention away from a tool.
I find that it is important for our future development as a space for the community to have an in order shop facility. Therefore these issues and others should be addressed.

Tool upgrades:

  • The router and router table. The router is currently my router I put on the the table I built. Its not the greatest table but it does the basic job. I will propose a build for a new router table which will have a designated router compartment with ample dust extraction, adjustable fence and miter slot. The build will be exactly this: http://www.crestonwood.com/router.php but maybe with a cheaper router insert.
  • Table saw. For a maker space, the saw we have is adequate. I am able to use it decently well and have even made adequate jigs for it. For now, this saw will suffice but I would in the future propose buying an older solid based Delta saw which is far superior to contractors saws and even sometimes the more expensive shop saws.
  • Jointer. The issue with the jointer is that the fence is warped and cannot be ground back true without compromising the structural integrity of the steel. Therefore I may build a wooden fence with a stainless face. However, looking into a new one may be preferable.
  • The surface planer. We have a great little lunch box surface planer that I built an in feed/out feed table for. It works great but we also have a nice 15" planer in the back waiting to be cleaned up. This issue is in queue and will be addressed when the time comes.
  • Miter saw station. The ideal station will have ample storage above and below. It will also recess the saw so that the bench top is paralleled with the saw top. It'll also have a back stop for the length of the bench.
  • Lathe. The lathe is a super fun tool, but not fun when you get hit in the face with a piece of stock the size of a small Louisville slugger souvenir bat. It hasn't happened yet but will, you can put your money on that. Therefore we should provide ample instructions on how to sharpen lathe tools and also provide a face shield with a helmet. Your face will thank me later.

You can also open this file in Sketchup on the PC at the space. Just look for the folder titled "wood shop upgrade" or something like that. But don't change anything!

Any suggestions, comments or concerns please post them here!

Patrick Joyce

Aug 25, 2015, 1:08:03 PM8/25/15
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
That looks great! Thanks for thinking ahead and putting this together.

A couple of questions/thoughts on the plan:
If the lathe is prone to flying chunks of wood, should it be near the door?

It doesn't look possible to get a 8' 2x4 into the miter saw unless you wanted to cut it in the middle or at an angle.

Where would the belt sander go?

Lockadoc

Aug 25, 2015, 1:26:38 PM8/25/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
My friend dropped by last week a
And checked out the lathe,
And says we have all the parts needed for him to give a class on the proper use of the lathe, also on proper sharpening of the tools ,
All I have to do is give him a day and time.

Bill S
Sent from my iPhone

Terry Lee

Aug 25, 2015, 1:46:53 PM8/25/15
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hey Patrick - The original placement was in the back of the shop where the router table is in the diagram. I did a bit of switching around to see what fits best but may move it back in the final placement.

The miter bench there in the diagram will accommodate a full length 2x4 it was only thrown in to get a general idea.

The tools not seen in the diagram - belt sander, scroll saw etc will be placed underneath the table and pulled up for use.

Some details are not shown yet but will be added once we get underway with the upgrades. This diagram was only meant to address the issue of major shop tool placement and application of dust extraction.

Cheers mate! Did you get the bearing in yet?

-Terry

Terry Lee

Aug 25, 2015, 1:49:02 PM8/25/15
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Bill - That sounds great! Let us know!

Dan Mackison

Aug 25, 2015, 1:49:15 PM8/25/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Is the big work table that dominates the center of the woodshop being tossed?

Terry Lee

Aug 25, 2015, 1:58:05 PM8/25/15
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
No, an assembly table is necessary. That you can see in the diagram.

Jose Cabrera

Aug 26, 2015, 2:50:59 PM8/26/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com

I have studied the images.  The planet and joiner as central to the first half of the area is not central to the use of the area.  The large work table and table saw are central.  The plainer and joined should be on a rolling (and lockable) base and set aside to be rolled out when needed and not dominate the space.  A central work table with 360 access is key to getting people together on one project or allowing multiple angle access on a project.  Think of workflow and not fitting foot prints.  Also, the safety equipment cabinet should be shown because it is key even if fitting it in is easy.  By showing it you establish its importance by making the first thing you see/pass when entering or leaving the space.

Greg Miller

Aug 27, 2015, 12:04:32 AM8/27/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Particles coming off a lathe with fly along the plane which is being
rotated, so standing by the door is actually one of the safest places.
Of course, the probability that there is a dangerous flying chunk of
wood is pretty low, so it's more probable that it'll hit the operator,
or someone else who's been working in the space for a while than for it
to happen, and hit someone just as they're coming in the door.

Terry Lee

Aug 28, 2015, 1:10:13 PM8/28/15
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hi - As mention above, The diagram is meant to illustrate ideal ergonomics of the room and was not thrown together to fit foot prints.

The planer and jointer are on lockable casters and are illustrated in the best usable are for the nature of the tool. There will be a (not shown) dust collection hose hanging down.

Safety equipment is on the left as soon as you walk in the door.

Jose Cabrera

Aug 29, 2015, 3:40:23 AM8/29/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Lean perspective on workshop layout:

Layout according to workflow.
Which workflow?  The answer is the most commonly used workflow.

I have seen the central worktable and table saw flow of work to be the most common over the last four years.  The proximity to the safety equipment and door encourage quick access and egress.  Our woodworking area is often used as the dirty work area.  Dirty work done in the back or corner are out of sight and will pile up like dirty dishes in a deep sink.  The general work surfaces should be front and center to keep access and visibility in multiple, concurrent projects the norm.

Access to tools at the point of use can then be factored in.  Hand tools at the working area.  Power tools near the supporting infrastructure (power, lighting, dust collection).  The infrastructure will need to be upgraded. The upgrade will need to match use.

Layout space on tables means tables, layout space on floor means keep out of traffic lanes, locate along wall or in back.

Items on wheels mean that parking spaces should be marked on floor.  When used outside their parking space, then use them in the layout space.

Automated equipment (point program and press go) can present an appearance problem.  The high tech tool is something to be proud of.  We want to show it to everyone.  But as automated equipment, it may best be utilized in the back corner.  Again, look at use and intended workflow.  Automated in the corner and hand worked somewhere else.

Never take for granted storage.  If it has a footprint, put it in the layout.  If it is mobile then show the parking space and the path to its In use space.

We actively promote the idea that scrap/extra material is available to all.  Decide how much space we will allocate for this offered benefit and put it in the layout.

If cords will cross the floor then show it.  If an electrical drop is needed then show it.

Also, path to metal shop must be kept clear of hazards.  The area in front of breaker box must be kept clear.  Paint the no parking spaces just as you paint the parking spaces.

Trade offs are inevitable.  Make them with caution.

These are the thoughts of how I look at organization.  I will put together a picture tomorrow.  It will be the implementation of these ideas.

Some of these thoughts match other proposals while others don't.  I present my reasoning for review.

I am ready to do work.  It's a do-ocracy and I can plan, document and execute.  Time to to go from notional to "the plan".   Much can be done in the now.  Time to call the crew.

If anyone has any Lean based observations then let me know and we'll go all spaghetti diagram on them.

Thank you.

Justice Checking

Aug 29, 2015, 11:12:05 PM8/29/15
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
My proposal and reasoning on image.
The Wood Shop_1.jpg

Nathan Armentrout

Aug 30, 2015, 1:49:33 PM8/30/15
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
On the original layout Terry provided:

The only tweak needed is to put the table saw on the other side of the table. No need to drag large sheets around the pinch point between the table and shopbot.

For all layouts:

Where's all the scrap material going to be located? That currently takes up a huge chunk of space, and if you don't plan on it being in the wooshop any more, then where are you going to put it?

Brian Wagner

Aug 30, 2015, 2:30:38 PM8/30/15
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
scrap wood = boneyard.  I know you would have to walk for it, but space is a premium!

Jose Cabrera

Aug 30, 2015, 2:35:18 PM8/30/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Scrap storage is a problem.  I intentional left it out of the layout I posted.

Another issue is the equipment down select.  We have more equipment then can be adequately positioned in the woodshop right now, let alone a new shopbot.

We need to survey all the equipment we have and select what will be in the room and what is out.  Then we need to find a location for those things left out.  Granted some of the equipment could be stored underneath tables but some can not.

For example, we have two cnc machines in the cabinet enclosure in the woodshop and Brian's cnc.  Neither layout shows these items since the new shopbot kind of supersedes them.

They must have a new home.

Jose Cabrera

Aug 30, 2015, 2:49:09 PM8/30/15
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Scale blocks referenced are not in image. The break box zone is 3x3 feet. Use of for scale.

j johnston

Sep 11, 2015, 7:23:38 PM9/11/15
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I'd like to attend that. If I can help out, let me know.

Lockadoc

Sep 11, 2015, 9:22:58 PM9/11/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Any idea when the vac system will be
Up and running?
Was thinking of hold off on the lathe
Demonstration until then, but if going to be awhile I plan it sooner.

Bill S
Sent from my iPhone

ginnyjollykidd .

Sep 11, 2015, 10:21:44 PM9/11/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I would like to attend a workshop on how to work the lathe. I have trouble with transportation as I am on the bus, but if someone is able to pick me up in Hikes Point, that would really help.

Thanks!

Ginny Jolly :)

Terry Lee

Sep 12, 2015, 11:03:25 AM9/12/15
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hi Bill - It may be awhile before we can get the vac system hooked up. First order of business in the work shop is to get items situated and ready for use. That means there is alot of cleaning that needs to be done before hand. I will make a new post on a set date for that.

Thanks for your patience Bill! We will have a fully operational work shop soon!

Terry

Lockadoc

Sep 12, 2015, 3:25:38 PM9/12/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com