ABS for sale in Louisville? ANYWHERE?

s...@blendedskies.com

Mar 25, 2015, 3:53:01 PM3/25/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
First of all, a big thanks to Blenster and Brian Wagner for your help last week.  The Rostock build has come together quite nicely, and I just got the bed calibrated.  I am so stoked to print something right now....

SeeMeCNC wants your first print to be an ABS fan shroud  that attaches to the hot end.  Imagine my disappointment when I realized that I had actually ordered PLA instead of ABS!

I've called around, and NO ONE appears to sell ABS.  Could have sworn I saw it at Radio Shack in New Albany before it closed.  I've checked with every RS store in the area, Best Buy (long shot).

Is there anywhere to buy ABS in Louisville, or am I just going to have to buy online?  OR- anyone want to sell me a roll?  Or a half roll?  Or quarter roll?  I just need enough to print the fan shroud and then can get rolling with the PLA.

Geesh.  So close!

Ben Hibben

Mar 25, 2015, 3:57:25 PM3/25/15
to lvl1
If you just need enough to print the fan shroud I'd suggest bringing the file into LVL1 sometime and printing said shroud on our machine.  This has a couple of advantages.  First: you won't be switching between ABS and PLA, and that's where we see most of our 3D printer related headaches.  Second you will only have to pay for the small amount of plastic and not an undetermined amount of roll....  So it'll be cheaper.

Alternatively I can see about putting you in touch with one of our 3D printing gurus who may have some filament.  We have a pretty friendly community.

Blenster

s...@blendedskies.com

Mar 25, 2015, 4:19:09 PM3/25/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Blenster-
As always, Thank you for the quick reply!

I'm wondering if this is flawed logic: As I don't have any ABS now, and thus won't be printing ABS anytime soon, does it stand to reason that I won't be getting to those higher ABS temperatures until I AM actually printing ABS?  If such is the case, I could print the shrouds in PLA now, use them until I switch out to ABS, and then print the fan shroud in ABS?

Would certainly love to come have the shroud printed there and see what the rest of the 3D printer guys are doing.  What's the best way to get in touch with the 3D printing gurus off-forum?

Thanks again!

Daniel Johnsen

Mar 27, 2015, 8:09:15 AM3/27/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
FirsrBuild sells Makerbot ABS & PLA at the same cost as buying online. They keep some in stock and the material they sell will work without machines needing to recalibrate the nozzle head due to different manufacturer filament width.

http://market.firstbuild.com/collections/makerbot/products/makerbot-large-abs-filament-spools

If they don't gave the color in stock they can order it and get it next day.

LVL1 purchases from them.