Discussion/input request: Drill press locations 2: Electric Switcheroo

David Ortiz-Grob

Oct 19, 2016, 4:08:02 PM10/19/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
As described in the another thread the two drill presses we have seem to be poorly suited to their current locations. The larger green drill press which is currently in the woodshop is more powerful and has a lower gear ratio than the gray press that is in the metal shop. Both of these make it much more suitable to use on metals than the faster, smaller gray press. As a result, most drilling of metal happens in the woodshop which leads to oil and metal chips being scattered about and can contaminate wooden projects when people like me do un-excellent things like not clean up well. even with good cleanup, cutting oil can creep into the vice and mess up expensive pieces of wood.

Unless anyone has any objections, I would like to do something about this. Some options on how to fix this:
1) Switch the location of the drill presses - easiest solution in my mind but may limit access to "good" press for some users
2) Move green press to metal shop and buy a new press for the woodshop (or vice versa) - good option but it involves fapping for $$ and then what do we do with the gray press?
3) Make the green press wood only and set up the bridgeport mill for metal drilling - highest quality end result but has is the most involved. May or may not be OK with the owner of the mill, would require removing the riser on the mill which is itself a big undertaking (but iirc was proposed once before by the owner). May cause conflict with the MIG welder for use of 3 phase power outlet. OTOH, it has an XY table for precision locating of holes and as much power as you could ever ask for. Kinda big and dangerous for beginners though.
4) Move the green drill press and belt sander to mixed use area where they can both be used for both metal and wood without contaminating wood projects with chips - Simple solution but it doesn't solve the cutting oil issue.

I'd love to hear what you all think.

Oct 19, 2016, 9:29:17 PM10/19/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
A shared use press wouldn't work well at all. Woodwork would be
contaminated with oil, and metalwork would be contaminated with
sawdust. It'd take an unreasonable amount of cleaning to switch between
the two.