Wheresmypi?

TAG

Oct 13, 2016, 9:09:48 AM10/13/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
If you've ever messed with a Pi, you probably know it can sometimes be a pain to get the IP address.

Just thought I'd share a heroku app that bakerface made at FirstBuild to help with getting the IP addresses of raspberry pis, or other devices.

Kevin Price

Oct 13, 2016, 9:16:56 AM10/13/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Pretty cool. If I'm on the same LAN, I've always just associated the MAC address with a local IP I don't care about with arp utilities.

Brian Wagner

Oct 13, 2016, 10:14:19 AM10/13/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
Will this give you the local ip address?  Like 192.168.1.23 or only the global ip of your home router or both?

Tim Gillespie

Oct 13, 2016, 10:27:02 AM10/13/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
local ip address, so if you are on the same local network as the pi, and you navigate to wheresmypi.herokuapp.com/"pi name" you are redirected to the pi's IP address.  If you just go to wheresmypi.herokuapp.com you see a list of the pis with their names and local ip addresses.

Brian Wagner

Oct 14, 2016, 7:42:42 AM10/14/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
This sounds like a really good thing to have.  I will check it out.  Also do you know if there is a pi provisioning utility?  So I can boot a pi, it shows up as a wireless access point, you connect to that point, enter other access point and password and connect?  I found some code that does that on a esp8266 and it is really neat.

Brian