Where to buy aluminum (in small amounts) locally?

Guido Bartolucci

Nov 15, 2017, 7:41:16 AM11/15/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I'd like to get some small pieces aluminum for various projects without paying shipping. Do y'all have a place you go to locally for these kinds of items?

I'd like 2024 aluminum since that's what I'm used to but I'm sure I'd be fine with anything since these are stupid little ideas that don't require a lot of strength. And the sizes are small, like 10cm squared for plate or sheet and 20cm length for angle.

Dan Mackison

Nov 15, 2017, 8:03:54 AM11/15/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com

On Nov 15, 2017 7:41 AM, "Guido Bartolucci" <guido.ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd like to get some small pieces aluminum for various projects without paying shipping. Do y'all have a place you go to locally for these kinds of items?

I'd like 2024 aluminum since that's what I'm used to but I'm sure I'd be fine with anything since these are stupid little ideas that don't require a lot of strength. And the sizes are small, like 10cm squared for plate or sheet and 20cm length for angle.

Greg Miller

Nov 15, 2017, 8:58:32 AM11/15/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Yea, MetalSupermarkets (4620 Shepherdsville Rd.) is your best bet.  You can shop around on their website, but when you actually go to order, order over the phone or in person as the website prices are a little higher.  You could probably find what you're looking for at Home Depot, Lowes, or Rural King for 2-4 times the price, which might make more sense depending on your schedule and location since MetalSupermarkets closes at 5p.  But I've found E-Bay is still the cheapest for aluminum, even though you have to pay for shipping.

Brian Wagner

Nov 15, 2017, 9:40:17 AM11/15/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
+1 for metal supermarkets.  Lowes and HD are way too expensive for metal, even if they have what you need.

Patrick Joyce

Guido Bartolucci

Nov 15, 2017, 11:13:25 AM11/15/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace