What happens when a teen buys a mainframe?

Joe LaGreek

Oct 29, 2017, 9:34:35 PM10/29/17
to lv...@googlegroups.com

The short answer is you get a job at IBM as an chip design engineer.

Connor Krukosky bought a mainframe put it together in his parent’s basement and got it working.

He made a presentation about his project at an IBM user conference.  Shortly after that, he was hired by IBM. All before he started college.

Last week I was at IBM in Poughkeepsie for training. I got to meet Connor.  Pretty cool.

https://blog.adafruit.com/2016/04/05/ibm-z890-when-an-18-year-old-buys-a-mainframe/

https://www.fastcompany.com/3063265/this-teenage-ibm-employee-got-his-job-by-buying-an-old-mai

Part of the class was a discussion on the new IBM Z server, the z14.

Quick specs:

Up to 170 cores per server. Each core contains L1 & L2 cache and a cryptographic coprocessor.

Up to 32TB of main memory.

Lots of IO ports.  Typically, over 300 IO ports, plus many network ports.

For you folks that think mainframes are old technology, they run Java, C, Linux (including Ubuntu), Webservers, and more. One z14 can run thousands of Linux guests.

Always looking for people to come over to the dark side, no mainframe experience needed.

Joe LaGreek

20171025_175054.jpg