Future of Cooking Hackathon

Justin Berger

Aug 10, 2016, 3:10:43 PM8/10/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Calling all hackers/makers/creatives/food lovers/eaters...
I wanted to share the early plans for FirstBuild's mega-hackathon, themed The Future of Cooking, this year.  We'd obviously love to have many LVL1 members in attendance, but I also wanted to see if there are other companies (in tech, connectivity, cooking, or food) who we should get involved.  We plan to gather 300 makers, designers, engineers, students, and foodies over the weekend of September 24-25 in Louisville, KY.  After reviewing the latest innovations and eating some delicious food, everyone will be able to design, build, code, and hack the next generation of cooking devices.

We’re looking for similar-minded people/companies who have the vision, technologies, or curiosity around cooking to make the event great.  There are opportunities to:
  • Sponsor the event (I can send a packet with defined levels)
  • Offer prizes for best projects within a category
  • Bring tools, foods, or supplies to be worked on
  • Demonstrate a cutting edge product
  • Participate on a team
An event overview is here: https://firstbuild.com/event/2016-firstbuild-mega-hackathon/   (registration open now)
The challenge to participants is outlined here: https://cocreate.firstbuild.com/JBerg/hackathon-future-of-cooking/brief/

If anybody has a close connection to YUM, Kroger, or other food/grocery/catering companies, it would be great to get some help with meals and cooking supplies for teams.

If you know of someone we should reach out to, I'd love an introductory email or heads up,
Justin

ginnyjollykidd .

Aug 10, 2016, 4:18:08 PM8/10/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

How about inviting Spaulding University culinary students?
Regards,
Ginny

Brian Wagner

Aug 10, 2016, 5:34:46 PM8/10/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
Sullivan?

Justin Berger

Aug 11, 2016, 9:42:43 AM8/11/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I love the idea of reaching out to Sullivan culinary- does anyone have any contact there?
I'd rather reach out with a connection, but I have found an online contact form here: http://louisville-search.aiprx.sullivan.edu/contact-us/

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 5:34:46 PM UTC-4, Brian P. Wagner wrote:
Sullivan?

On Aug 10, 2016 3:10 PM, "Justin Berger" <jus...@firstbuild.com> wrote:
[...]

Brian Wagner

Aug 11, 2016, 10:28:26 AM8/11/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
Sorry, I do not know anyone.

ginnyjollykidd .

Aug 11, 2016, 10:52:06 AM8/11/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Yeah,  Sullivan. 😅

ginnyjollykidd .

Aug 11, 2016, 10:54:15 AM8/11/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

I'm sure it would be alright to start with the form. That's a way to make new contacts.

Regards,
Ginny

Brian Wagner

Aug 11, 2016, 12:20:11 PM8/11/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
And you could also contact the folks at Brownsboro Harware.  They just had a big Green Egg cookoff  http://www.brownsborohardware.com/eggfest/.  Perhaps there is some hacking in outdoor cooking.

Justin Berger

Aug 12, 2016, 9:27:03 AM8/12/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Thanks Ginny and Brian - I'll plan on reaching out to Sullivan and Brownsboro Hardware!

Justin Berger

Sep 9, 2016, 5:29:48 PM9/9/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
REMINDER: The Early Bird discount for the Future of Cooking Hackathon (Sept 24-25 at FirstBuild) expires this Sunday.  Sign up for tickets this weekend to save $5: https://firstbuild.com/event/2016-firstbuild-mega-hackathon/

Prizes have been updated here and continue to grow ($10k and counting): https://cocreate.firstbuild.com/JBerg/hackathon-future-of-cooking/brief/