Interest in laser workshop Monday night for $10 each?

Divinity Rose

Oct 5, 2016, 7:24:31 PM10/5/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Any interest in a rabbit laser workshop Monday for $10 per person?

John Howard

Oct 5, 2016, 8:02:38 PM10/5/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Have there been any changes in how you operate it since it was moved besides needing a member to badge you in?

Is the workshop going to focus on operating the laser, or preparing files for the laser?

On Oct 5, 2016 7:24 PM, "Divinity Rose" <divini...@gmail.com> wrote:

Any interest in a rabbit laser workshop Monday for $10 per person?

Divinity Rose

Oct 5, 2016, 8:06:29 PM10/5/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

There have been no changes. It would be preparing files and then going through a run and showing some different levels of power and speed that I've done on wood

John Howard

Oct 5, 2016, 8:42:07 PM10/5/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

I would be interested then, I've got the laser operation pretty much down. I still struggle at times getting the files ready.

Brian Wagner

Oct 6, 2016, 7:49:25 AM10/6/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
A little off topic but useful bit of information:  Did you know that there are a couple eggbot inkscape extensions that can be used on our laser.  One does hatch fills (like fill an area with a series of lines to simulate a grayscale area) and one does a better job tracing images to vector.  Check them out here:  http://wiki.evilmadscientist.com/The_Eggbot_Extensions  Also very useful is Hershey text.  These are used to create single line letters and words on your laser creations: http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2011/hershey-text-an-inkscape-extension-for-engraving-fonts/  And finally be sure to check out the living hinge extension written by our very own Dr. Mark Endicott.  This extension creates a series of cut lines to make wood fold easily: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:203940  Inkscape has a large learning curve, but it is one of my go to maker tools.  Fight through the learning curve, it is worth it!

Gary Fischer

Oct 6, 2016, 5:43:29 PM10/6/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
I'd be interested, but what time would you be there? I would have to roll in at 6:30.

Divinity Rose

Oct 6, 2016, 6:08:43 PM10/6/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
i can start it at 6:30

Nothing but the best,

Divinity Rose, Experience Engineer
Engineering unique and engaging live, video and interactive technology experiences for education, marketing and entertainment.

Award Winning Author, Entertainer (humorist), Director, Producer
Available for Fun Speaking Engagements or Events for your Organization
Entertain. Enlighten. Empower.

Gary Fischer

Oct 6, 2016, 6:14:11 PM10/6/16
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
perfect. Thanks so much. see you then. Question - can the laser cutter work with soft Neoprene gasket material? Or would it just set it on fire?

Divinity Rose

Oct 6, 2016, 6:21:39 PM10/6/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
No, unfortunately you can not. Neoprene is a  chloropolymer, which is strictly foridden at lvl1 and  will release toxic chemicals into the air (i.e. you'll get brain damage.)

I should clarify the workshop I will do will be a wood based sample. Other materials you can laser are acrylic plastics, leather, and you can etch metal if you treat it first with a special chemical.

Divinity Rose

Oct 6, 2016, 11:53:52 PM10/6/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Hey Gary, I need to move the workshop to 7:30. Forgot I had a radio show appearance at 6
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to lvl1+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.