Better Block Shelby Park!

je...@centerforneighborhoods.org

Apr 20, 2017, 4:08:16 PM4/20/17
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Some of you may have seen me around, but I'm Jess and I work at the Center For Neighborhoods! I have a makership with LVL1 right now to build street furniture for a tactical urbanism project my organization is doing in Shelby Park at the intersection of Oak and Logan Streets.  I have been training with Daniel to use the CNC machine to cut street furniture that fits together like puzzle pieces for a quick, easy hack. I want to invite you to the Build Party we are hosting at Great Flood Brewery on Friday, April 28th to put it all together! Free beer and pizza. Power tools. Haha.

Space is somewhat limited, so RSVP here.

If you are interested in helping out more with the event itself (May11-13), check us out on Facebook and also sign up through this link!

See you in the shop! -- Jess

More about Better Block Shelby Park:
Better Block-Shelby Park reimagines neighborhood corridors to create walkable, inviting community spaces. Community designed, implemented changes to transform Logan and Oak Streets in May

LOUISVILLE, KY. (April 20, 2017): While the city of Louisville is gearing up to show off during Derby 2017, the Shelby Park Neighborhood Association and Center For Neighborhoods are preparing to show off the potential of the Logan Street corridor and the Shelby Park neighborhood. Better Block-Shelby Park will use community designed temporary interventions such as street trees and furniture, pop up shops, public art and event spaces to strengthen the neighborhood and local business environment through walkable streets and activated spaces.

“We are very proud the Center For Neighborhoods selected the Shelby Park Neighborhood Association as its first partner in Better Block to reactivate the Logan and East Oak corridor. Our non-profit is fully engaged to make Shelby Park a neighborhood of choice and committed both volunteer and monetary resources to shine a positive light on the powerful transition Shelby Park has accomplished in the last three years. We invite the city to join us in this celebration as Shelby Park strengthens Logan and East Oak through Better Block and the return of CycLOUvia to the neighborhood streets”, said Chip Rogalinski, past SPNA president and Better Block committee chair.

From May 11-13, 2017 Better Block-Shelby Park will transform the 1200 block of S. Logan Street and the 500 block of E. Oak Street in Shelby Park. A community design workshop in March created a series of conceptual site plans and led to a final site design for both physical improvements and community programming. Better Block will create a three day festival atmosphere while allowing residents and visitors to experience a renewed corridor. Planned physical changes include new green spaces, street trees, amenities such as benches and outdoor café seating, an outdoor community stage, and expanded pedestrian space while planned programming includes live music, food, live painting, community yoga, kids activities, and more -including Cyclouvia on Saturday, May 13 from 2:00-6:00 p.m. Entertainment on Friday, May 13 will be provided by Woodrow on the Radio and Johnny Berry and the Outliers, with Squeezebot performing Saturday, May 13. Better Block is an initiative started by Jason Roberts out of Dallas, Texas. Better Block seeks to quickly, affordably, and temporarily change a single block along a neighborhood corridor to test out ideas for redesigned roadways, public spaces, businesses and community events – all designed and implemented by the community itself.

After featuring Roberts and the Better Block Foundation at their 2016 Neighborhood Summit, Center For Neighborhoods began looking for the perfect neighborhood partner and Better Block-Shelby Park was born. CFN Executive Director Tom Stephens shares, “We believe in the value of community lead design and development and its ability to drive positive investment and social interaction in neighborhoods. We are excited to be partnering with such an enthusiastic group of partners and residents to quickly, affordably, and tangibly impact the physical and social fabric of Shelby Park.” Better Block-Shelby Park is made possible by funding from Louisville Forward, Shelby Park Neighborhood Association, New Directions Housing Corporation, and Lowe’s Home Improvement. Partners include Wallitsch Nursery and Garden Center, Louisville Metro Solid Waste Management, LVL 1, Falls City Community Bikeworks, Seed to Oaks, Great Flood Brewing Company, Automated Living, Louisville Visual Art, Idlewild Butterfly Farm, AA Auto Repair, JR Liquors, Yesternook, Bryce Biery Construction, Studio Kremer Architects, and the Bornstein Center, among others.

For more information on Better Block-Shelby Park and a full program/activity list, to get involved, or explore bringing Better Block to your neighborhood, go online at www.centerforneighborhoods.org or contact CFN at 502-589- 0343 or plan...@centerforneighborhoods.org.

Center For Neighborhoods is a 501c3 organization.
Better Block Shelby Park Event Flyer.pdf