Getting into quads

Adam Simonyi

Aug 21, 2015, 5:07:20 PM8/21/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com

I've been doing a bit of research lately on entry level 250 class fpv drones. I know we have more than a few people in the space who are pretty "in the know" in regards to the subject. There are a few things I'd like to know that I can't seem to get strait answers on.

Battery capacity / battery weight is important. I see a lot of builds where a 1300mah 3 cell pack is used. But what's stopping me from strapping a spare 10400mah pack to the roof (weight and proper voltage aside) as long as everything else were to check out? I see things about discharge the rate and about how evenly the cells discharge. How does all of this play into battery effecting performance?

The more blades a propeller has the greater the thrust generated per RPM but adding more blades disturbs the air flow for other the blades following it which effects performance somehow too? (If I understand correctly) But where is the happy medium? I'm sure this topic generates its fair share of heated arguments. But everyone seems to swear to their own method here. Dual blade, tri-blade, even balanced single blade propellers. Isn't a higher amount of thrust at a lower speed what I should be aiming for? But I'm sure if that was the case everyone would have something like spiral davinci style props. Maybe I'm reading too much into propellers and I just need to order something try for myself, they aren't more than a few bucks.

RC transmitters seem to fall into the same boat. Brand loyalty is big here. If I'm looking for reasonable range at a decent price what kind of receiver/transmitter combo am I looking for? Any recommendations are great as long as its more than "Mine is the coolest!".

Lastly! Flight controllers. Naze32, CC3D whatever else... All of these boards I see work with quads but are there any cool extra things I should look for in functionality beyond it just "working" with quads that I might need to consider?

Ben Hibben

Aug 21, 2015, 5:25:52 PM8/21/15
to lvl1
You should attend the next Drone Meetup Thursday the 27th; RSVP here: http://www.meetup.com/Louisville-Drone-Group/  Plenty of folks there to get nerdy about drones with!  :-)

Blenster

Adam Simonyi

Aug 21, 2015, 5:35:27 PM8/21/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com

I saw both the user group and the race group. I was gonna try to make it out to their Sunday event. I'm free on Thursday later in the day so I'll definitely try to make it out. Thanks for the info Ben.

Patrick McCarthy

Aug 24, 2015, 10:11:07 AM8/24/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Where does the drone group go to fly? (Can’t fly at LVL1, it is in a no-fly zone)

Patrick McCarthy, MIS Software QA
Samtec New Albany
Office: 812-944-6733 X:2713  | Mobile: (502)-939-1756 | Fax: (812)-981-4359
www.samtec.com

Adam Simonyi

Aug 25, 2015, 10:21:15 AM8/25/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com