Pixel lights

Lockadoc

Dec 2, 2016, 9:13:34 PM12/2/16
to Club Lvl1
  Any suggestions as how a beginner can get started with these?

I ordered these and
 wanted to try these out, but, they are not what I thought they were going to be.
This is a link to them.

Qiorange Ws2811 12mm DC 5V 50-Pieces RGB LED Controller Pixel String Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013FU2PZ4/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_NlIqybPR6AC45

The ends are the same,
Two wires that I think are power, along with a two wire plug, which I would guess is signal.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

image5.JPG

Bill S
Sent from my iPhone

Britt Dodd

Dec 4, 2016, 9:12:10 AM12/4/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Looks like the green wire is the signal and the white wires are grounds. One white wire is Data ground, the other is LED ground.

red is of course 5V.

Here is a datasheet for the LED RGB controller. Each LED will be individually controllable, usually via I2C or SPI (looks like I2C here, since SPI has additional comm lines, clock and cs lines)

I actually sent this yesterday, but had to snip the attachments as it was too large for upload. Also, there's an Ambilight project on Hackaday that uses these LEDs that might be of interest too:

Looks like a fun project!

Britt

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 9:13 PM 'Lockadoc' via LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace <lv...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
  Any suggestions as how a beginner can get started with these?

I ordered these and
 wanted to try these out, but, they are not what I thought they were going to be.
This is a link to them.

Qiorange Ws2811 12mm DC 5V 50-Pieces RGB LED Controller Pixel String Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013FU2PZ4/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_NlIqybPR6AC45

The ends are the same,
Two wires that I think are power, along with a two wire plug, which I would guess is signal.

Bill S
Sent from my iPhone

Joe Pugh

Dec 4, 2016, 10:14:26 AM12/4/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Hey Bill,

Are you wanting to get deep into programming them or are you looking for a plug and play option for them?

If looking for an off the shelf controller you can pick up something like this. http://a.co/c82WZFG
 (I have never used this but I have used something like it for testing strips.  You will want to shop around) some come with remote controllers some w/o but will have buttons on the package to swap modes.

If you are looking to program them I would look at the fastLED lib.

 The ws2811 is the same as the ws2812 with the exception the the ws2811 are external chips and ws2812 are built into 5050 led packages.  If you buy a controler or use a lib what ever works with the ws2812 should work with the 2811.

If you already have all of that taken care of and where just asking about the wiring then Britt Dodd has you covered.

BTW the ws281x are what was using in the clouds and the LED cube.  They are solid and have a lot of support in the community.

Lockadoc

Dec 4, 2016, 10:24:10 AM12/4/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply.
For now I'm planing on fooling around with a home brew programmer.
Very limited knowledge of basic stamp
Parallax propeller
With very, very  limited Arduino

No project in mind except for increasing my own knowledge.

Bill S
Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to lvl1+uns...@googlegroups.com.

Lockadoc

Dec 4, 2016, 8:14:27 PM12/4/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Speaking of the cloud, have the instructions (class) ever been completed.

Bill S
Sent from my iPhone

McCarthy, Patrick (GE Appliances, Non-GE)

Dec 5, 2016, 10:11:37 AM12/5/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Yup… Ask Ben, and be prepared for many blinky things J

Patrick McCarthy

Office 502-452-4071

Mobile 502-939-1756