advice on wipe/disposal of old hard drives

Dave Campbell

Sep 9, 2016, 6:54:43 PM9/9/16
to lvl1
a big part of a home office cleanup project is to dispose of some old computer equipment including lots of drives pulled when upgrading, several WD 'MyBook'-style drives, a small handful of smaller USB-connected 2.5" drives, and a few that are inside those network-accessible enclosures (think Fantom-style).

i'm pretty sure i want to erase/wipe all the data on each drive indiscriminately, and then i don't really care what the next steps are - the drives have negative value to me given they take up real space in my way-too crowded home office.

i'm envisioning some stripped down recent-ish computer (got some) that has an existing ATA/IDE/SATA interface and some magic boot-CD with disk-wiping software.

- connect drive
- boot on CD
- recognize drive
- wipe drive
- rinse and repeat

if that seems reasonable, what disk-wipe tool is on that boot CD?

i've been monkeying around with UBCD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/), but i'm not sure those HDD tools on the free version are adequate.  i am certainly willing to spend up to maybe $40 on the right utility software.

advice solicited!

once these drives are wiped, i'm very willing to donate them to any worthy party, including the boneyard.  the inventory would be non-trivial, but nothing bigger than 500 GB (ala 2008).

--

Dave Campbell | davecc...@gmail.com

Divinity Rose

Sep 9, 2016, 7:14:45 PM9/9/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I don't have advice there, but our ecycle pick up company degausses and then destroys hard drives

Nothing but the best,

Divinity Rose, Experience Engineer
Engineering unique and engaging live, video and interactive technology experiences for education, marketing and entertainment.

Award Winning Author, Entertainer (humorist), Director, Producer
Available for Fun Speaking Engagements or Events for your Organization
Entertain. Enlighten. Empower.

Joe

Sep 9, 2016, 10:17:14 PM9/9/16
to LVL1
Dban. It's free. Boots from a CD.
Have not used it for a while. Don't know what it's current state is.

Joe

Adam Simonyi

Sep 9, 2016, 10:56:38 PM9/9/16
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Use dban at our office all the time. Still maintained well.