ShopBot Out of Commission - Limit Switch Failure.

Micah "Meesh" Burkhardt

Jun 15, 2018, 12:12:03 AM6/15/18
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hey all, as a maker was working with the Shopbot tonight, one of the limit switches shorted.

The machine is out of service until the switch is replaced and the box inspected for proper/functioning fuses in the control box.

It isn't anyone's fault, it isn't from misuse of the machine. This switch may have actually been causing more problems that were previously unanswered.

Please, under no circumstances, use the ShopBot until cleared by Broken. I've also shut off the breaker switch designated to the shopbot, as the failure is electrical in nature, and created smoke when it occurred.

Attached is a photo of the switch itself. No, you shouldn't be able to see a speck of light through the switch.

I have emailed Broken in proper procedure, and I'm sure we'll look at it more in depth soon.

Matthew Hurley

Jun 15, 2018, 12:19:23 AM6/15/18
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Let me know what sensor we need for it, we should be able to get it at a steal through my work.

Thanks,

Matt Hurley

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-8n2csLiroxc/WyM7zQ5zGUI/AAAAAAAAAwg/TIbQQwHhYTsM3AImJrXOD3fc0H-RCk5NwCLcBGAs/s320/shopbot-1.JPGhttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-fyXFsAgN4fc/WyM7iAKVb0I/AAAAAAAAAwU/o76tHABCLTEM2Dn12U56zC7a-S8mxfClQCLcBGAs/s320/shopbot-2.JPGhttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-caLT_LuWLkI/WyM6-0kdsLI/AAAAAAAAAwM/ssQZt6NTzzAC3lUSeGzvncGNGz6A5U79wCLcBGAs/s320/shopbot-3.JPGhttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-UwDUeTe3sXE/WyM7myVTpBI/AAAAAAAAAwY/DQTPB0ClrWslN2zP1zK2WfQtU5dVqARbgCLcBGAs/s320/shopbot-4.JPG

McCarthy, Patrick (GE Appliances, Non-GE)

Jun 15, 2018, 10:53:55 AM6/15/18
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Do we have any formal(ish) Lockout/Tagout procedure?

If not, might be a good idea to attach a handmade big red tag to the breaker, telling all NOT to touch it unless they are “Broken-Actual”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Patrick McCarthy

T  +1.502.452.4071

M +1.502.939.1756

Jun 15, 2018, 12:35:39 PM6/15/18
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Nothing will happen if they try to use it, since the 24 volt fuse is removed, unless they try to replace the fuse. If you disconnect the burned proximity switch, nothing should happen then either.

Paul Schuster

McCarthy, Patrick (GE Appliances, Non-GE)

Jun 15, 2018, 3:45:36 PM6/15/18
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Very cool on the signage.

In the case of this tool, being 24V and (I think) in sight of the fuse box, Cool.

But I was also making the comment as a reminder to always tag out a breaker that you open. You may be in the back, Hip deep in the new AC System wiring when someone comes in the space from the other room, notices that all the vents are off, and resets the breaker… While they’re in the front, playing with the Maker bots, you are in the back, doing “Dances with Wires”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Patrick McCarthy

T  +1.502.452.4071

M +1.502.939.1756

Paul Schuster

Paul Schuster

Jun 15, 2018, 5:00:22 PM6/15/18
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Here's a simple solution to locking out breakers...

Paul Schuster

Jun 15, 2018, 5:04:10 PM6/15/18
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace

On Friday, June 15, 2018 at 5:00:22 PM UTC-4, Paul Schuster wrote:
Here's a simple solution to locking out breakers... $16 for 2 pole lock see link