Jointer

Dan Mackison

Aug 17, 2015, 11:45:09 AM8/17/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Does anyone have a working jointer that I can use for 15 minutes on Monday?

Dan Mackison

Aug 17, 2015, 8:32:17 PM8/17/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com

I'll take that as a "no". :)

On Aug 17, 2015 11:45 AM, "Dan Mackison" <dan.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

Does anyone have a working jointer that I can use for 15 minutes on Monday?

Brian Wagner

Aug 17, 2015, 9:40:30 PM8/17/15
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
Firstbuild has one.

Dan Mackison

Aug 17, 2015, 10:25:45 PM8/17/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
I was there this morning. I need to be "checked out" on the machine and that will take at least a week.

Patrick McCarthy

Aug 18, 2015, 8:36:58 AM8/18/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com

YOU need to be checked out…

Mind Boggled

(Of course, they don’t KNOW you…yet)

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
Patrick McCarthy, MIS Software QA
Samtec New Albany
Office: 812-944-6733 X:2713  | Mobile: (502)-939-1756 | Fax: (812)-981-4359
www.samtec.com

Dan Mackison

Aug 18, 2015, 9:54:16 AM8/18/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com

Lvl1's process is quicker but more difficult: if you can repair it, you can use it. :)

Terry Lee

Aug 20, 2015, 11:31:31 AM8/20/15
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Hey Dan - I am waiting on the Jointer fence to be ground back true. We have a member working on it currently and it should be brought back soon. After we get the fence back I will need to get a true straight edge and feeler gauges and set the out feed table. After that we should have a well working jointer.

Luslugger

Aug 21, 2015, 2:05:32 PM8/21/15
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Bad news.  the fence is warped too far.  Grinding the fence untill it cleans up would leave the fence too thin.   The straightening methods hardly ever work.  I expect straightening to break the iron part.   I will return the fence to the jointer.
Bob Setree

Ben Hibben

Aug 21, 2015, 2:18:24 PM8/21/15
to lvl1
Is it heat-treated?  If we don't need to worry about ruining the temper we could heat it up to straighten it out a bit.

Blenster

Dan Mackison

Aug 21, 2015, 2:22:24 PM8/21/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com
Aren't they usually cast?

Luslugger

Aug 21, 2015, 10:22:38 PM8/21/15
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
The material is cast iron.   In my experience a casting needs time to normalize before it is machined.  This fence continued to normalize after it was machined and therefore is bent in more than one plane.  Someone may like the experience of trying to straighten the piece.   Lets buy a new one if we can.
Bob S

Dan Mackison

Aug 22, 2015, 7:15:33 AM8/22/15
to lv...@googlegroups.com

The "first you have to repair it" joke applied to more than just the jointer.

Terry Lee

Aug 22, 2015, 11:05:41 AM8/22/15
to LVL1 - Louisville's Hackerspace
Well we gave it our best shot with that jointer. Perhaps I could build a wooden adjustable fence, but therein lies the problem of accurate jointery as moisture will distort a wooden fence. I vote for having an accurate jointer. Something like this: http://lexington.craigslist.org/tls/5183869857.html

Brian Wagner

Aug 22, 2015, 11:21:36 AM8/22/15
to LVL1 - Louisville's MakerSpace
If we need a jointer, then FAP for a jointer.  Make it so!